Woburn Sportsmen's Association

There's an open house on August 18Th. I guess I won't bother going. Sounds like an insane asylum.

Please don't go by everything that you read here, come to the open house or I can give you a tour sometime or I am sure Mike01824 will do the same.

Bob

There's an open house on August 18Th. I guess I won't bother going. Sounds like an insane asylum.

I intially misread this and just reread it so I'll recomment: WSA is a solid club and as Bob mentioned I'd be happy to take anyone around for a tour. The club has great facilities for all types of shooting sports. And as BubbaJ posted, the annual Open House is the 18th from 10am to 4pm so everyone should stop by and check out the club.

bubbaj said:

I'm not a member of WSA, but twice attended open house @ WSA. As always, I had good time both shooting or chatting with WSA members. I try the outdoor pistol range shooting paper target, black power range shooting steel plate, shoot trap/skeet and HP rifle range plinking plastic bottle. Highly recommended.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Forum Runner

I'm not a member of WSA, but twice attended open house @ WSA. As always, I had good time both shooting or chatting with WSA members. I try the outdoor pistol range shooting paper target, black power range shooting steel plate, shoot trap/skeet and HP rifle range plinking plastic bottle. Highly recommended.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Forum Runner

Black Powder is awesome to try! I'd never done it before but shooting an old BP rifle will make anyone smile.

Black Powder is awesome to try! I'd never done it before but shooting an old BP rifle will make anyone smile.

Yup. It's Awesome especially able to hear the ping from the steel plate. Lot of prep work though. Need to hold the rifle steady due to the slow burning powder. That's my first BP shoot. [grin]

I don't have much time on Saturday due to a prior commitment but I'm gonna try to shoot down there for the open house. I live less than 3 miles away. I think it makes sense to check it out before deciding its not for me.

Hello,

I am going to ignore most of what was said above because I am am close. I am looking for some place to stretch out my 91/30 and a couple of pistols. My big issue is time and the effort that goes into joining. I am very often in Maine on weekends due to a prior commitment and weekdays I am at work all day then gym till late. I would like to have a place to be in my free time, not much, but I am not sure I can make all the meetings. Are they flexible with joining requirements? I also love trap.

Hello,

I am going to ignore most of what was said above because I am am close. I am looking for some place to stretch out my 91/30 and a couple of pistols. My big issue is time and the effort that goes into joining. I am very often in Maine on weekends due to a prior commitment and weekdays I am at work all day then gym till late. I would like to have a place to be in my free time, not much, but I am not sure I can make all the meetings. Are they flexible with joining requirements? I also love trap.

Not sure what you mean by flexible but you can join after 2 club meetings which takes place on the 2nd Thursday of each month. You would also have to complete 5 hours(I think) of work for the club so if you don't have much time then I guess this club is not or you.

- - - Updated - - -

Hello,

Not sure what you mean by flexible but you can join after 2 club meetings which takes place on the 2nd Thursday of each month. You would also have to complete 5 hours(I think) of work for the club so if you don't have much time then I guess this club is not for you.

Your best bet is to stop by on a Sunday morning and talk to Wally or someone else in the office, they could probably answer your questions about the 2 meetings...As for work hours, I know you'll have to do that, a lot of times it's something easy and you'll probably be working in a group so it's not so bad. The work hours could be done during the week if weekends don't work for you... You could help out at the trap field or something like that... There's always something to do.

so I'd love to join this club since its relatively close-ish (Medford), but after reading this thread I'm a bit taken aback.

My two concerns are:

1. Is a guy with an AR and hi-cap mags that wants to shoot 'semi rapid' fire, welcome? I'm not talking about mag dumps, just not 3 seconds in between shots or anything.

2. Are the outdoor rifle ranges always busy with events and not open to just general shooting?

Thanks

so I'd love to join this club since its relatively close-ish (Medford), but after reading this thread I'm a bit taken aback.

My two concerns are:

1. Is a guy with an AR and hi-cap mags that wants to shoot 'semi rapid' fire, welcome? I'm not talking about mag dumps, just not 3 seconds in between shots or anything.

2. Are the outdoor rifle ranges always busy with events and not open to just general shooting?

Thanks
Hi cap mags aren't a problem but you are limited to 10 rounds loaded into them.
'hip shooting' and mag dumps are not allowed since it leads to uncontrolled shots.
Practice for rapid fire matches isallowed i.e. 10 shots in 60 seconds.
The outdoor ranges are usually not crowded and weekend events are publicized well in advance.

It's a nice club to join.

My two concerns are:

Thanks

I'm not really sure about the semi-rapid fire but every weekend they have events but if you go after 2pm you should be all set.

The main outdoor rifle range (50/100/200 yards) is open to general shooting as well during the usual Sunday morning matches, but you need to hang targets on their schedule. Done by lunchtime, though.

The CMP matches (about monthly) take over the whole range for most of the day.

For the most part, though, when I'm there to practice (usually in the afternoon), I have the range to myself.

Ladies Day
Saturday June 22, 2013
9:00 AM - 2:00 PM

This is always a very popular event that introduces and provides knowedgeable education on the shooting sports to women from our surrounding communities. Most all of the women who attend will be first time participants without any prior shooting experience. WSA garners the opportunity on this day to not only showcase our facilities but also to actively demonstrate that the shooting sports are not just a lot of fun but are also personally rewarding and very, very safe. "Someone in our lives passed the American shooting sports heritage onto us... now it is our turn to help pass it along to others"--- please contact Pat Mc Hugh at [email protected] if you can help or for any questions.

Hey all! I am running for the office of Treasurer at WSA. By trade I am an accountant with a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting. In addition, I am currently the Committee Chairman for both the Rules and Finance committees and would like to serve the club as Treasurer. I’ve been representing WSA here for a few years and given tours to a good number of NESers. I would like to further give back to the club so if you could show me your support on September 12th at 7:30 for the meeting/election I will put forward all my effort as Treasurer. If there are any WSA and NESers who I haven’t met yet, introduce yourself at the September meeting!

Thanks,
Mike

I went to the WSA open house this past Saturday - it seemed like a nice place with a lot of variety. I was wondering if anyone is a member from here and what the caliber and round limits were at each range as well as, my wife and daughter seemed interested in the archery ranges.

i just wanted to get some recent thought about the club since some of the threads seemed outdated. As well as what time the indoor/archery range are open until.

thanks...

Hey all! I am running for the office of Treasurer at WSA. By trade I am an accountant with a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting. In addition, I am currently the Committee Chairman for both the Rules and Finance committees and would like to serve the club as Treasurer. I’ve been representing WSA here for a few years and given tours to a good number of NESers. I would like to further give back to the club so if you could show me your support on September 12th at 7:30 for the meeting/election I will put forward all my effort as Treasurer. If there are any WSA and NESers who I haven’t met yet, introduce yourself at the September meeting!

Thanks,
Mike

BUMP! See you all next Thursday!

Thanks,
Mike

Final Bump! 7:30 tonight! Come say hi.

Congrats mike!

Might have to come for a tour Mike.. I just started working at RSA across the street and leaving work and hearing the gunshots in the air was like music to my ears.

[thumbsup][thumbsup][thumbsup] I work down the street and hear a lot of gunshots too but I'm not sure if it's coming from there. Is there another gun club around billerica/bedford area? I can give you a tour but you have to lmk ahead of time so i can grab my membership badge.

Bedford police have a range on the other side of the swamp plus Minuteman down on 62 if it sounds like shotguns.

Just noticed this thread and saw that nobody replied to your questions..... On the indoor pistol range (25/50 feet) no magnum loads, but .22 rifle also OK. On the outdoor pistol range (30 ft 25/50 yds) .22 rifle also OK. On the trap fields, target loads only, on the black powder range, black powder only, and on the high power range (50/100/200 yds) there are restrictions on what types of pistols can be shot, but other than that.. none that I can recall.

Back
Top Bottom