• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Woburn Sportsmen's Association

It's YOUR job to read the conditions of Jr. membership. Go to the office and ask for a copy. It's also your job to know the range rules. You were shooting at 8 ft, a range violation. You don't mention that do you? The CRO gave you a break and tried to educate you, obviously wasting his time. So you has 2 infractions in one day, and now you are on a public forum whining like a baby. Do us all a favor, go join another club.

Yes, I did admit that I was wrong about the distance shooting at the range and that was my fault. I have shot variable distance legally at other indoor ranges and forgot Woburn exception. 8 feet? More like 1/3 range length, but still my fault. I have raised the need before for Woburn to offer variable distance for defensive pistol shooting. Both the indoor and outdoor are at fixed distances, also there are target type restrictions. But that violation was not the point of this discussion thread.

As I stated, there is no explicit mention of junior members in the WSA range rules and so members have different interpretations. I have shot on the trap range with my junior member son on busy Sunday mornings and no one had a problem with that. My son and I shot at 9pm Thursday night in an empty indoor range, just the two of us and we were flagged by a different rules interpretation that we could only use one lane? Eight empty lanes! This has been particularly frustrating as there has been limited range availability in the past year or so. So at Woburn, I cannot shoot five-stand, 20yd archery line, pistol line, rifle line with my junior member son.

For me, my time and money, it's about shooting with my sons and I decided that can be done more effectively elsewhere.

Last edited:
Yes, I did admit that I was wrong about the distance shooting at the range and that was my fault. I have shot variable distance legally at other indoor ranges and forgot Woburn exception. 8 feet? More like 1/3 range length, but still my fault. I have raised the need before for Woburn to offer variable distance for defensive pistol shooting. Both the indoor and outdoor are at fixed distances, also there are target type restrictions. But that violation was not the point of this discussion thread.

As I stated, there is no explicit mention of junior members in the WSA range rules and so members have different interpretations. I have shot on the trap range with my junior member son on busy Sunday mornings and no one had a problem with that. My son and I shot at 9pm Thursday night in an empty indoor range, just the two of us and we were flagged by a different rules interpretation that we could only use one lane? Eight empty lanes! This has been particularly frustrating as there has been limited range availability in the past year or so. So at Woburn, I cannot shoot five-stand, 20yd archery line, pistol line, rifle line with my junior member son.

For me, my time and money, it's about shooting with my sons and I decided that can be done more effectively elsewhere.[/QUO

Really? Read the Jr. membership rules. So you admit on a forum you violated a range rule at trap too? I guess as a RO i'll have to write you up.

For me, my time and money, it's about shooting with my sons and I decided that can be done more effectively elsewhere.[/QUO

Really? Read the Jr. membership rules. So you admit on a forum you violated a range rule at trap too? I guess as a RO i'll have to write you up.

You're still bitching at Clay? Did you read the last line of his post? You've done your job. You've got rid of 2 members who "slipped up", and didn't play by the rules. Good work!

Wow after reading that little bit of snarky-ness I would have second thoughts about joining if I wasn't already a member.

It is a really good club, but like any other, it might not fit your needs.

wow, while I'm not a member @ WSA, i do shoot there quite a bit (as well are serving club officer duties at another club)...and i'll be REAL honest with ya.

you're a dick.

rules are grand, but this isnt poland, and it aint 1939. Now...for the record, I'm all for the limiting of "guests". the idea of membership isnt for 1 guy to get a card for him, and 15 of his closest friends.

on the other hand, we're talking a junior member. this is where that whole "interpretation" thing can come in. if a junior is KNOWN to be competent, you dont need to rule them with an iron fist. does that mean leave them unattended? absolutely not...but we're talking father-son time here, on a night where the range wasnt crowded, they werent keeping other members from shooting, and not causing damage to the club or its property.

you need to relax. as a fellow NRA RSO, you're making us all look bad.

(disclaimer, ive known a number of the discipline-specific chairman @ WSA for a number of years (nick, russ, randy/bob, including the president. the whole lot of them are some of the nicest guys ive ever met at a range....ok some of the food Russ B eats is a tad odd, but nonetheless he's a nice guy. dont let this guys ramblings dissuade you from considering WSA)

Funny thing is johniac7078 has utube video up of him and his daughter at the hipower range using 2 benches!
Of course he's not shooting off of the second bench but using/shooting ...is a matter of interpretation!
I love irony ..............

Hi all, I'm the son of loneranger. Woburn is where i learned to shoot, so it does hold a very special place in my heart. I took an NRA rifle course that was actually ran by the current president, and have shot ever since. And it really hurts when i'm not allowed to shoot next to my own father because someone's judging my competence to be able to shoot on my own. So here's the list of things that prove it:

-I'm a member of woburn's very own varsity junior trap team. I've taken two classes at sig academy, where I actually walked around their store with a loaded gun holstered, and noone thought twice about it. I just got back from Camp Perry, where i walked around the base with all my gear, including an AR and ammo, just like hundreds of other juniors from across our nation.

- I have an FID, which i got in result of a course that if it wasn't for my age, i'd have a Class A

-I've gone to Catholic schools my entire life. I'm an honors student. I contribute to the school on a weekly basis through tech. And i'm a very important member of our robotics team, where i can work in a fully loaded workshop with some of the other top students of our school.

and you know what? this list can keep going, but i don't know if it would even make a damn difference. now i know we broke a rule, but we were misinformed, and we caused no damage to the range or any individual in anyway what so ever. Just because i'm 15 doesn't mean that if i have a gun i'm threat to anyone. and if it wasn't for us juniors, then the future of civilian shooting capability would probably be down the gutters. respect works both ways.

Way to ruin a thread by making more sense and being more mature than many of its "adults".. Thanks a lot, this was approaching epic status.. [wink]

I'd be happy to have you and your dad out to our club as my guests sometime to shoot together without any hassles, just drop my a PM.

Funny thing is johniac7078 has utube video up of him and his daughter at the hipower range using 2 benches!
Of course he's not shooting off of the second bench but using/shooting ...is a matter of interpretation!

Linky please before Mr. Hall Pass takes it down.

B

johniac7078:1988596 said:
I've been a member since 1974, this is not the club it once was. Honestly, I renew every year just for the outdoor pistol range. We take tests to use the hi power range, we sign in and out, hey, I'm all for safety but I don't want to be treated as a child. One has to read and study the newsletter cause most ranges are tied up, especially on weekends, but evenings also. Hi power matches, Juniors on the indoor range, GBPL, summer pistol matches, archers on the indoor pistol range and it goes on. It's almost if you don't enjoy some sort of organized event, forget about just popping in to shoot. Someone noted in a post above me they wanted to work out their AK with some rapid fire, well you ain't gonna do that at WSA. You'll be before the BOD in a wink.

What a bunch of crap. Archers on the indoor pistol range? Archers haven't been there for a long time. Typical do nothing member that just likes to whine. Tell ya what pal, if you dont like something get involved.

Bud, I've done my freaking time at WSA, more than you'll know. You can tell by just the infighting in this thread we've gone downhill. In hindsight, we should have taken those developers offers and just moved on. I don't know who to blame but the glory days of this club is over.

Bud, I've done my freaking time at WSA, more than you'll know. You can tell by just the infighting in this thread we've gone downhill. In hindsight, we should have taken those developers offers and just moved on. I don't know who to blame but the glory days of this club is over.

Perhaps it is time for you and/or johniac7078 to move on? If you choose not to renew your membership at WSA, good riddance.

You can tell by just the infighting in this thread

I now live less than 5 minutes from WSA and the craziness in this thread has pretty much assured me that I won't be joining. Something to think about for those giving this club the ra-ra treatment.

I joined MFL until I can get my crap together and join Harvard.

lord1234:2008109 said:
Bud, I've done my freaking time at WSA, more than you'lli know. You can tell by just the infighting in this thread we've gone downhill. In hindsight, we should have taken those developers offers and just moved on. I don't know who to blame but the glory days of this club is over.

Perhaps it is time for you and/or johniac7078 to move on? If you choose not to renew your membership at WSA, good riddance.

Nice, you should be figuring out why people are bolting and fix it. I'm still a dues paying member who's put in long hours long before there was a work credit on the the dues.

Holy shit, this thread is great. I was about to post in here looking for a member that goes and would be willing to show me around. Thanks to Lord Choadley (johniac7078) I am now rethinking my resistance to the drive from Somerville to Harvard.

If there is this much crap going on in a 3rd party forum about this place, I can only imagine the razed earth scenario and politics within the membership.

It's really not that bad...I've been a member for 3 or 4 years and I've never had a problem with anyone. If you're interested in checking it out for yourself I would be more than happy to show you around.

Holy shit, this thread is great. I was about to post in here looking for a member that goes and would be willing to show me around. Thanks to Lord Choadley (johniac7078) I am now rethinking my resistance to the drive from Somerville to Harvard.

If there is this much crap going on in a 3rd party forum about this place, I can only imagine the razed earth scenario and politics within the membership.

Yes most of the people are not choads like the 2 above.

I am also a member at WSA and would be willing to give you a tour. It's not as bad as it sounds.

Alright, I'll bite. I just like to avoid scenarios like the ones in this thread.

I'd love to check the place out. I'll send some PMs to see about setting up a meetup time.

I am looking for three things: A place to learn/practice long distance shooting (including in winter), and play at starting high power, meetup with people who do IDPA to learn what it's about, and a place to engage in archery (this last one being totally optional, since I don't even have a bow, just want a place to do it).

Last edited:
WSA has some nice facilities. However, they do not allow drawing from the holster, and I believe that they have limits on how fast you can shoot. That does not make it conducive for practicing for IDPA.

WSA does have a wonderful high power range and last I looked they have matches year round.

And the high power range has an indoor area to shoot from, for those really cold winter days...

WSA has some nice facilities. However, they do not allow drawing from the holster, and I believe that they have limits on how fast you can shoot. That does not make it conducive for practicing for IDPA.

WSA does have a wonderful high power range and last I looked they have matches year round.

I am looking for three things: A place to learn/practice long distance shooting (including in winter), and play at starting high power, meetup with people who do IDPA to learn what it's about, and a place to engage in archery (this last one being totally optional, since I don't even have a bow, just want a place to do it).

The long distance shooting/high power is no problem, in fact that's one of the things I'm involved in. They don't have IDPA there, and the only time you can draw from a holster is if there's a match that calls for it (like cowboy action shooting)...They don't allow rapid fire unless it's in a match, like CMP.

Mystic Valley in Malden does IDPA and they have a class about it too, but it's an indoor handgun range. That's a great club with awesome people, but no rifle range.

Starting in November WSA has high power matches every Sunday through the end of April, if you want to try out high power come by...The matches are open to the public and just about anyone there will be happy to help you out. That's also a good way to check out the club, if you're interested just pm me...If you don't have a rifle, I'll happily let you use one of mine.

What kind of questions are on the hi power range qualification test? Is it just a written test or does the member actually have to prove they can hit a target at a certain distance?

What kind of questions are on the hi power range qualification test? Is it just a written test or does the member actually have to prove they can hit a target at a certain distance?

It is a 25ish question multiple choice written test based on the range rules, both the general rules and the rules specific to HP. I took the test a month or so ago. I believe the test is offered every Saturday morning at the HP range house, but you'd have to check with them.

i live in somerville, lets meet up and I'll give you a tour.

you are so friggin stupid.

There's an open house on August 18Th. I guess I won't bother going. Sounds like an insane asylum.

Ladies Day last month was INSANE! 157 women showed up to participate; double the previous year. I'd expect another great turn out on the 18th.

Back
Top Bottom