Woburn Sportsmen's Association

good for you cowboy! just hope you dont end up shooting yourself or someone else.

I'm an NRA certified firearm safety instructor, NRA certified range safety officer, and an IDPA certified Safety Officer. I'm confident in my ability to safely draw and holster. And judging from my experience at IDPA competitions, a number of other IDPA safety officers agree with me.

I'm an NRA certified firearm safety instructor, NRA certified range safety officer, and an IDPA certified Safety Officer. I'm confident in my ability to safely draw and holster. And judging from my experience at IDPA competitions, a number of other IDPA safety officers agree with me.

Thats good. Sorry for being rude

He started the whole thing and I'll end it without saying another word.

WSA is a very good club for a certain type of shooter. But it isn't the be-all or end-all, and I take exception when you imply that it is. It isn't. If you want to practice defensive shooting, WSA isn't the place. Many of us do want to practice defensive shooting, and we have the training and skill to do so safely.

I've been on the fence about what club to join. WSA is so close I can hear the range from my back porch. However, proximity doens't make it an open and shut case. I heard mixed things about it and I don't want to end up at a club full of Fudds who make my time there misery. Even after reading this tread, I'm still weary of joining.

I've been on the fence about what club to join. WSA is so close I can hear the range from my back porch. However, proximity doens't make it an open and shut case. I heard mixed things about it and I don't want to end up at a club full of Fudds who make my time there misery. Even after reading this tread, I'm still weary of joining.

It shouldn't be a difficult decision. What types of shooting are you into?

If you want to shoot trap, bullseye pistol, NRA Service Rifle or Match Rifle, archery, etc., then WSA is a great place. If you want to practice defensive shooting, compete in IDPA or USPSA, then consider Harvard Sportsmen's Association.

Many years ago a friend took me, as a guest, to WSA. I enjoyed myself that day and inquired when we might do it again. He informed me that it was against club policy to take a guest more than once, and was sorry, but he didn't want to run afoul of the bylaws. I, of course, couldn't blame him.

I joined Harvard shortly thereafter, and have been a satisfied member for 10 years now.

P.S. WSA is MUCH closer to me, as well.

If you want to shoot trap, bullseye pistol, NRA Service Rifle or Match Rifle, archery, etc., then WSA is a great place. If you want to practice defensive shooting, compete in IDPA or USPSA, then consider Harvard Sportsmen's Association.

They also have a nice dedicated black powder range and an active benchrest group. Yeah, not the place for IDPA/USPSA, though.

I have no desire to compete. Medical problems would make competing pointless. I simply want to find a nice place to shoot for my own enjoyment. I'm no mall ninja nor am a an old school dude, just some where in between I guess.

Many years ago a friend took me, as a guest, to WSA. I enjoyed myself that day and inquired when we might do it again. He informed me that it was against club policy to take a guest more than once, and was sorry, but he didn't want to run afoul of the bylaws. I, of course, couldn't blame him.

You can bring more than one guest at a time but are supposed to use only one lane between you and your guests.
You are allowed to bring each individual guest 3 times per year - I guess the thought behind that one is that they should become a member if they intend to use it that much.

You can bring more than one guest at a time but are supposed to use only one lane between you and your guests.
You are allowed to bring each individual guest 3 times per year - I guess the thought behind that one is that they should become a member if they intend to use it that much.

Well, I guess that's a little bit better than it was 15 years ago.

We have the same rule at the club I belong to, and for that very same reason. If they use the club that much then they should be a member and pay their dues -- the club needs the money.

Been at WSA for 30+ years now. It's transformed from a power house smallbore and hipower club to an archery club. The junior program is
outstanding , serious hipower competitors moved to Reading (sorry Don D and Nick!) but the matches are still fun. Smallbore is returning and we got the damn archers out of the indoor GUN range. The former archer president and his current lackey have left an indelible mark on the club (shutting down the hipower range for 3 summers and the indoor range durring the winter!) but I renew every year because alll things come around.
You have to pick a club for the discipline you enjoy.

RIP George Herald, we miss ya

I've been a member since 1974, this is not the club it once was. Honestly, I renew every year just for the outdoor pistol range. We take tests to use the hi power range, we sign in and out, hey, I'm all for safety but I don't want to be treated as a child. One has to read and study the newsletter cause most ranges are tied up, especially on weekends, but evenings also. Hi power matches, Juniors on the indoor range, GBPL, summer pistol matches, archers on the indoor pistol range and it goes on. It's almost if you don't enjoy some sort of organized event, forget about just popping in to shoot. Someone noted in a post above me they wanted to work out their AK with some rapid fire, well you ain't gonna do that at WSA. You'll be before the BOD in a wink.

I got called on this last night at their indoor pistol by the pistol chairman. My "guest", as determined by the pistol chairman, was my 15 yr old son who is a junior member and member of their junior shotgun team and yeah a better shot than me. Didn't matter. So I packed up and stood back behind the yellow line and watched my son shoot.

Great father and son time spoiled. In helping to coach his shotgun team and driving him to high power practice and matches, I rarely get to shoot side by side with my son, hell I rarely shoot at all.

Membership renewal next month, hmmm...

Even if you decide not to renew, you should tell the board about that. They can't fix something if they don't know about it.

I got called on this last night at their indoor pistol by the pistol chairman. My "guest", as determined by the pistol chairman, was my 15 yr old son who is a junior member and member of their junior shotgun team and yeah a better shot than me. Didn't matter. So I packed up and stood back behind the yellow line and watched my son shoot.

Great father and son time spoiled. In helping to coach his shotgun team and driving him to high power practice and matches, I rarely get to shoot side by side with my son, hell I rarely shoot at all.

If you have this persons name could you please PM it to me. Also did he tell you he was the pistol chairman? The reason that I ask is I am the pistol chairman @ WSA and it was not me that was there.

Bob

Been at WSA for 30+ years now. It's transformed from a power house smallbore and hipower club to an archery club. The junior program is
outstanding , serious hipower competitors moved to Reading (sorry Don D and Nick!) but the matches are still fun. Smallbore is returning and we got the damn archers out of the indoor GUN range. The former archer president and his current lackey have left an indelible mark on the club (shutting down the hipower range for 3 summers and the indoor range durring the winter!) but I renew every year because alll things come around.
You have to pick a club for the discipline you enjoy.

RIP George Herald, we miss ya

This is complete nonsense. I am member of the WSA BOD and you are so ill informed and ignorant it isn't even funny. You are the same guy that got kicked off the WSA forum right? Got a problem with archers? Stop by wednesday nights and we can talk about it.

When was high power shut down for 3 summers? The indoor range had to be shut down to replace the backstop and the project took longer than expected because of a delay in delivery of the backstop. BTW: where were you when volunteers were needed?

Stop being a baby and man up and get involved if you think you can do it better. BTW: that former president you are crapping on in public is a buddy of mine and has done more for WSA than most other COMBINED. So PM me, ill give you my number and we can discuss.

what don't you get about range rules?

What range rule was he violating?

Rule
A member is allowed to bring an individual shooting guest to
any range not more than three (3) times within a calendar
year. The host member is fully responsible for the guest’s
conduct and for any damage to Association property resulting
from the guest’s visit. The host member must be present with
the guest on any range facility at all times. Only one guest or
the member may be on the firing line shooting at a time.

EXCEPTION: A member may bring his/her spouse or minor
children an unlimited number of times as guests. However,
the spouse and children of a member may not use the club’s
facilities unless the member is present.

what don't you get about range rules?

1. Why there is no mention of "junior members" in the WSA range rules?
2. Why "junior members" are nothing more than "guests" assuming their parents are members?

From my experience, seems overboard and contrary to bringing our families into the sport.

Last edited:
Rule
A member is allowed to bring an individual shooting guest to
any range not more than three (3) times within a calendar
year. The host member is fully responsible for the guest’s
conduct and for any damage to Association property resulting
from the guest’s visit. The host member must be present with
the guest on any range facility at all times. Only one guest or
the member may be on the firing line shooting at a time.

EXCEPTION: A member may bring his/her spouse or minor
children an unlimited number of times as guests. However,
the spouse and children of a member may not use the club’s
facilities unless the member is present.
So if you bring your child to shoot, you can't be next to them while instructing them? Or are you saying that they can only use one lane at a time?

1. Why there is no mention of "junior members" in the WSA range rules?
2. Why "junior members" are nothing more than "guests" assuming their parents are members?

From my experience, seems overboard and contrary to bringing our families into the sport.

It's YOUR job to read the conditions of Jr. membership. Go to the office and ask for a copy. It's also your job to know the range rules. You were shooting at 8 ft, a range violation. You don't mention that do you? The CRO gave you a break and tried to educate you, obviously wasting his time. So you has 2 infractions in one day, and now you are on a public forum whining like a baby. Do us all a favor, go join another club.

I've been a member since 1974, this is not the club it once was. Honestly, I renew every year just for the outdoor pistol range. We take tests to use the hi power range, we sign in and out, hey, I'm all for safety but I don't want to be treated as a child. One has to read and study the newsletter cause most ranges are tied up, especially on weekends, but evenings also. Hi power matches, Juniors on the indoor range, GBPL, summer pistol matches, archers on the indoor pistol range and it goes on. It's almost if you don't enjoy some sort of organized event, forget about just popping in to shoot. Someone noted in a post above me they wanted to work out their AK with some rapid fire, well you ain't gonna do that at WSA. You'll be before the BOD in a wink.

What a bunch of crap. Archers on the indoor pistol range? Archers haven't been there for a long time. Typical do nothing member that just likes to whine. Tell ya what pal, if you dont like something get involved.

Back
Top Bottom