• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Woburn Sportsmen's Association

I don't see this club mentioned a lot for some reason. My GF spotted it and mentioned it to me because I may be moving VERY close by in the near future. From the website it sounds decent, but I am wondering if people here have anything to say about it. I see a few older threads but nothing concrete.

Also, is the pistol range 24/7 and are there restrictions on what you can shoot there? Not being able to shoot rifles indoors might be negotiable but something like no mangnum rounds is probably a deal breaker for me.

I was really interested in joining MRA but I am getting a little more skeptical as I see more and more craziness happen at the public ranges and hear more stories. I am looking for somewhere that allows fun (my AK occasionally needs to be fired in a somewhat rapid manner) but where safety is paramount. Once I saw that a**h*** spinning his pistol on his finger at a pub range the other week I decided I was done with going anywhere there are too many idiots. I don't need to get shot by some f***head who thinks he's in the movies.

I need to get out to Harvard but things have just been too busy to make it out there for one of the breakfasts. I'm definitely not opposed to joining two clubs, and it seems like Woburn Sportsmens will be REALLY close if I move.

I'm not a member of WSA. Back when I used to shoot service rifle, I attended some matches there. They have a very active high power program, with matches most Sundays. That means that the 200 yard range is in use most Sunday mornings. They also have two trap fields with an active group of trap shooters.

It is my understanding that they have fairly restrictive rules for the pistol ranges. If you are interested in practicing defensive shooting (drawing from a holster, etc.), WSA may not work for you. They don't have any action pits like Harvard does.

If you're a bullseye shooter, WSA is probably a really great club.

i took my firearms safety through them. IMO, it's kinda FUDDish.

as M1911 stated... IIRC, you can only shoot lead indoors.. the outdoor range(s) have round limits ect....

you might as well keep going and go to Westford or Harvard.....

I am a member of WSA and we recently upgraded the indoor range to accept all handgun ammunition (although no Magnums), lead or jacketed. The indoor range is open from (I believe) 7AM-Midnight and is well lit and ventilated. The rules do state that you should not rapid fire or draw from the holster to fire.
It has indoor pistol, outdoor pistol, Trap, high power up to 200yards, Black powder, outdoor archery, indoor archery and walking archery course.
The people I have interacted with have all been nothing but friendly and helpful.
Considering that I am 15 min away, this has been a great place for me...

Awesome, thanks for the info.

I will just have to motivate my ass out to Harvard. I may still join here eventually since it will be so close, but given my current budget I should probably stick with the one stop shop for now.

i'm a member at HSC along with the 2/3 of the ma**h***s [laugh]

i now live about an hour away from HSC, but glad i re-upped. i was considering joining a club closer to me on the N. Shore. but after looking at EVERY Club inside of 95/128, i decided to stay home @ HSC.

there is no other club that has what HSC can offer east of 495... steel plates [smile] action pits.. 200/300 yard alley... it's too bad that other gun clubs don't follow the example (well, maybe it's good for HSC)... shoot safe, have fun w/o the "round limit" rules.

I have been over to MRA twice with someone I work with and was thinking of joining. I guess I can only go as a guest 3 times in a calender year. I was just looking at the membership process last night and this morning I was looking at the range rules/restrictions. I was pretty excited to join but after reading some of the restrictions especially on the outdoor stuff i am undecided. I don't have any rifles I currently shoot. I have a .22LR rifle but i rarely shoot it. When I do get into rifles and AR and AK will be my first purchase and it looks like I would be restricted to the indoors.

Per the rules it says indoors on the downstairs range you can shoot pistols and rifles smaller than 50BMG and no limit on capacity

I'm undecided if MRA is the right range for me. Its very close to my work which is nice but part of the reason I wanted to join would be to have use of the outdoor ranges but it looks like for what i want to shoot I'm stuck to the indoor range. At least there is no ammo restriction or capacity restrictions on the indoor ranges now though which is nice.

The other range I was looking at was Eastern Rifle and Revolver. This one is close to my house, and a real small place but does fit my current shooting needs. I may eventually end up joining both clubs. Not sure.

Last edited:
I have been over to MRA twice with someone I work with and was thinking of joining. I guess I can only go as a guest 3 times in a calender year. I was just looking at the membership process last night and this morning I was looking at the range rules/restrictions. I was pretty excited to join but after reading some of the restrictions especially on the outdoor stuff i am undecided. I don't have any rifles I currently shoot. I have a .22LR rifle but i rarely shoot it. When I do get into rifles and AR and AK will be my first purchase and it looks like I would be restricted to the indoors.

Per the rules it says indoors on the downstairs range you can shoot pistols and rifles smaller than 50BMG and no limit on capacity

I'm undecided if MRA is the right range for me. Its very close to my work which is nice but part of the reason I wanted to join would be to have use of the outdoor ranges but it looks like for what i want to shoot I'm stuck to the indoor range. At least there is no ammo restriction or capacity restrictions on the indoor ranges now though which is nice.

The other range I was looking at was Eastern Rifle and Revolver. This one is close to my house, and a real small place but does fit my current shooting needs. I may eventually end up joining both clubs. Not sure.

The crucial thing at MRA as far as I can tell is the Loeb range, which is admittedly really awesome. For winter shooting I think it would be hard to beat it. The problem is that the outdoor stuff is pretty restricted.

That's my debate too...I want a good indoor range for winter but loading one round at a time in my AK during the summer is not going to do the job.

I am going to have to join multiple ranges too. Harvard looks like the best, by far, all around....and then maybe ill do Manchester Firing line or mra.

The crucial thing at MRA as far as I can tell is the Loeb range, which is admittedly really awesome. For winter shooting I think it would be hard to beat it. The problem is that the outdoor stuff is pretty restricted.

That's my debate too...I want a good indoor range for winter but loading one round at a time in my AK during the summer is not going to do the job.

I am going to have to join multiple ranges too. Harvard looks like the best, by far, all around....and then maybe ill do Manchester Firing line or mra.

I dont know how sign up processes go at other clubs but the one for MRA seems pretty lengthy. The outdoor ranges I was told you have a 6 month probation period before you can use them. Once you 6 months is up you need to qualify each firearms at 25yds first. I didn't see the 6 month rule but i only skimmed through the rules real quick.

I dont know how sign up processes go at other clubs but the one for MRA seems pretty lengthy. The outdoor ranges I was told you have a 6 month probation period before you can use them. Once you 6 months is up you need to qualify each firearms at 25yds first. I didn't see the 6 month rule but i only skimmed through the rules real quick.

Holy moly. I had looked through the rules but I didn't see quite that level of insanity.

Harvard looks bitchin it's just a matter of me finding a sponsor and getting the time to get out there and check the place out. It seems to have a lot less of these insane rules.

Holy moly. I had looked through the rules but I didn't see quite that level of insanity.

Harvard looks bitchin it's just a matter of me finding a sponsor and getting the time to get out there and check the place out. It seems to have a lot less of these insane rules.

Some clubs are suited better for different people. I hear a lot of people talk about Harvard but that's to far for me. Honestly if Bob's in Salisbury still allowed you to shoot centerfire rifles indoors I would join Eastern Rifle and revolver I think and call it a day.

I really like MRA's 24 hour LOEB range though and this would be my reason for joining. For what I do and what I want to do, the indoor range suites my needs. Maybe once your in and used to the system and the way they do things you get used to it and its not so bad. Being an outsider looking in just reading the rules (all 20 pages) it seems like a lot.

In MRA's defense because it has been there forever the area around it has become pretty built up residential and commercial wise. This could be a reason for all the restrictions on the outdoor ranges. Noise could be issue. They own the land across from my work and I'll hear people shooting all day long on the nice days. I have never been to Harvard or Westford but I would venture to guess they are a lot more secluded.

Last edited:
guest shooter

Anybody out there who is a Woburn Sportmen's Association member willing to take me for a day as a guest to use the long range rifle range? Need to sight my rifle in for 200yds. Thanks

Stay away from MRA!!! The president is an elitist. He feels he is better than everyone else. I was there for over a year and then left. The indoor range is not very nice, the trap field is decent, no real archery. That is just my take on that place. I am checking out WSA this weekend, I have heard nothing bad about it.

Stay away from MRA!!! The president is an elitist. He feels he is better than everyone else. I was there for over a year and then left. The indoor range is not very nice, the trap field is decent, no real archery. That is just my take on that place. I am checking out WSA this weekend, I have heard nothing bad about it.

I am an mra member for about one year now.

Before I joined I checked out wsa, mra, middlesex, and cape ann. All my data is about a year old cept for mra which is current. Here's my rundown

Wsa - nice outdoor 200 yd range. No baffles. Secluded in the back of club. Clubhouse a bit dingy. Indoor pistol range was not to my liking last year. Seemed small. Outdoor pistol was nice. Shotgun ok, a bit small. Archery looked decent. Notable improvement is the nice new indoor air rifle facility. Close to my house @ 7 miles.

Mra - indoor loeb range allows most anything up to .50 bmg. New ventilation this year. Electric carriers. Nice outdoor pistol range that I liked better than wsa because it's fully shaded...good in summer. Indoor 22 range upstairs is usually quiet and clean. On the outdoor 200 yd range you shoot under baffles and through large diameter tubes - a product of its neighbors and location. Outdoor 50 yd range is nice. Clubhouse is tired, restrooms could be better. Mra applies what I call a 6 month get-to-know-you period before you are granted access to the outdoor rifle ranges. Sounds restrictive, and some people say wtf, but then who are the "pros" putting rounds way up in the baffles? 6 months goes by fast and it's over before you know it. Elitist president? I dunno - I rarely see him. Decent sunday breakfast. Close to my house and four seasons is nearby. Donate 8 hours of work and knock 50$ off your membership renewal, down to $120. 24 hr access.

Cape Ann - only saw the clubhouse and outdoor pistol. Outdoor Pistol range was just a grassy area surrounded by berms. Clubhouse seemed a bit nicer than mra or wsa. Decent Sunday breakfast and all chefs must carry a sidearm! :)

Middlesex - huge mainly shotgun sportsmens club. Nice clubhouse. More expensive.

In the end it was a toss up between wsa and mra. I went with mra because fs was along the way, and the indoor Loeb range was better than wsa at the time.

Suggest you visit each one on a Sunday morning to try them out. You could visit both wsa and mra on the same day.

I am an mra member for about one year now.

Before I joined I checked out wsa, mra, middlesex, and cape ann. All my data is about a year old cept for mra which is current. Here's my rundown

Wsa - nice outdoor 200 yd range. No baffles. Secluded in the back of club. Clubhouse a bit dingy. Indoor pistol range was not to my liking last year. Seemed small. Outdoor pistol was nice. Shotgun ok, a bit small. Archery looked decent. Notable improvement is the nice new indoor air rifle facility. Close to my house @ 7 miles.

Mra - indoor loeb range allows most anything up to .50 bmg. New ventilation this year. Electric carriers. Nice outdoor pistol range that I liked better than wsa because it's fully shaded...good in summer. Indoor 22 range upstairs is usually quiet and clean. On the outdoor 200 yd range you shoot under baffles and through large diameter tubes - a product of its neighbors and location. Outdoor 50 yd range is nice. Clubhouse is tired, restrooms could be better. Mra applies what I call a 6 month get-to-know-you period before you are granted access to the outdoor rifle ranges. Sounds restrictive, and some people say wtf, but then who are the "pros" putting rounds way up in the baffles? 6 months goes by fast and it's over before you know it. Elitist president? I dunno - I rarely see him. Decent sunday breakfast. Close to my house and four seasons is nearby. Donate 8 hours of work and knock 50$ off your membership renewal, down to $120. 24 hr access.

Cape Ann - only saw the clubhouse and outdoor pistol. Outdoor Pistol range was just a grassy area surrounded by berms. Clubhouse seemed a bit nicer than mra or wsa. Decent Sunday breakfast and all chefs must carry a sidearm! :)

Middlesex - huge mainly shotgun sportsmens club. Nice clubhouse. More expensive.

In the end it was a toss up between wsa and mra. I went with mra because fs was along the way, and the indoor Loeb range was better than wsa at the time.

Suggest you visit each one on a Sunday morning to try them out. You could visit both wsa and mra on the same day.

ditto to what DMan7 said.you can totally understand the restrictions there-just google earth the place and look at the surroundings.the place is baffled quite well for a reason.I enjoy shooting there and chose this place over Cape Ann just for the Loeb range's quality indoor set up.

Anybody out there who is a Woburn Sportmen's Association member willing to take me for a day as a guest to use the long range rifle range? Need to sight my rifle in for 200yds. Thanks

happy to. send a PM if you are interested.

I am a WSA member. I believe they have outstanding facilities and have invested over a half a million dollars in the last 2-3 years on range improvements. There is a new indoor pistol range backstop, all types of ammo EXCEPT magnum (25 and 50ft. A 25 and 50 yard pistol range (go shoot the match tomorrow), fully baffled. An outstanding 200 yard rifle range, brand new bunker at the 200 yard line. A blackpowder range (50 yards), that is also a cowboy action range. A tomahawk-knife throwing range !!!! An excellent trap program. Perhaps the best archery facilities in the state including a NEW indoor facility (10, 20 and 30 yards) equipped with video equip for training, air conditioning, restrooms, plasma TV, a 30 target 3D course (seasonal) and an outdoor MFAA course spread out over our 100+ acres. The indoor archery facility facility also doubles as an indoor air rifle/air pistol facility (however, we still in the process of setting up for air sports). The club has a VERY BIG juniors program. There are over 75 kids in the junior archery program alone. Junior pistol and rifle are outstanding as is junior trap (BTW our junior trap team won some major matches!!!). One of our kids that went through the junior rifle program, a man now, is an NCAA all american now at a MAJOR university and he is not alone. BTW I believe he is in the top 4 in the country.

It is not easy to run a gun club in a semi-urban environment, but WSA does it very well. For those that feel WSA is fuddish, you should join a different club. The restrictions are in place for safety reasons. Way too many folks think they are way better than they are, and we don't want rounds getting out. Harvard is an excellent choice for action shooting, no question.

I stand corrected I think. When i first read this I assumed the OP was using WSA and MRA interchangeably. My comments were regarding MRA and not WSA. I did not realize WSA is in Bedford i beleive the website said.

Last edited:
I took my Basic Pistol Safety Course at WSA a couple weeks ago and it was top-notch... Given I'm a baby gun user, but still it was an awesome experience and the instructors were great. Lots of hands on time, lots of classroom/safety/basics time and lots of live fire! Highly recommended.

Does it still have a limitation on how many rounds you can load in your magazine?

The limit is 10 rounds. I recently just did my 5 hours of work this past Saturday and will become a member next month. This is a really big club has about everything you need at a sportsman club and its spreaded out over 100 acres of land. The people that I have interacted with is very nice and helpful.

Sorry, but I need action shooting pits and rules that allow drawing from a holster -- things that WSA does not have.

Not every club will have everything but WSA has most of the things people look for when joining a club. they dont allow drawing from the holster so that people dont end up shooting themself. safety 1st

they dont allow drawing from the holster so that people dont end up shooting themself. safety 1st
And yet, miraculously, many other clubs like Harvard Sportsmen's Association allow drawing from a holster and no one has shot themselves there.

Sounds like you found the right club for you.

And yet, miraculously, many other clubs like Harvard Sportsmen's Association allow drawing from a holster and no one has shot themselves there.

Sounds like you found the right club for you.

good for you cowboy! just hope you dont end up shooting yourself or someone else.

There are a lot of nice things at WSA. The outdoor pistol range is not one of them. They devised a system to prevent any bullets from leaving the grounds. It's like shooting at a lumber yard.

Back
Top Bottom