• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

WMUR Link to "Preppers Piece": Preppers in NH area.

Talk about a fluff article. A couple of very minor facts, but generally no substance to it.

Why not provide links to federal recommendations?
Why not provide a list of some commonly recommended items and quantities?
Provide some information that might actually be useful to your readers.

No, much easier to write and article saying, "A lot of people are preparing for disaster, it's generally recommended that you're prepared for X length of time, but some people take it further, and some a lot further."

Talk about a fluff article. A couple of very minor facts, but generally no substance to it.

No, much easier to write and article saying, "A lot of people are preparing for disaster, it's generally recommended that you're prepared for X length of time, but some people take it further, and some a lot further."

This would be true if the intent of the article was to inform. The intent of the article is instead to amuse and entertain, and to marginalize preppers by poking fun at them and painting them as paranoid extremists.

"It's fear," he said. "I believe it's all fear-based."
But when prepping gets to the extreme, psychologists take notice.

Yah...

This piece is typical of what we can come to expect from US news stations in general. Fluff, short segments, to feed the masses who have short attention spans and who can't really handle complex or nuanced ideas or positions.

Though they admitted that the number of people who are prepping is growing. Likely the reason WMUR didn't completely try to demonize or make fun of the segment.

Still, interesting to see how the prepper community is percieved by outsiders.

I love how they harp on 72hrs. I really have a hard time believing some people are so stupid they have less than 3 days of food.

It's also hard to imagine people not believing you could need more. Last fall my town had no power for a week and many in the state went 2-3 weeks.

I love how they harp on 72hrs. I really have a hard time believing some people are so stupid they have less than 3 days of food.

It's also hard to imagine people not believing you could need more. Last fall my town had no power for a week and many in the state went 2-3 weeks.
The average home already has 2 weeks worth of food but people don't like to eat that food so that is why it has built up to 2 weeks

The average home already has 2 weeks worth of food but people don't like to eat that food so that is why it has built up to 2 weeks

And it REALLY becomes a problem when the lights go out and they realize they can't open a can of soup with the electric can opener and heat it up in the microwave.

Why do these articles always have to be about the extremes? I don't have an installed halon system in my kitchen; but there is a fire extinguisher, just in case. I don't carry around four extra tires in my trunk; but there is a spare, just in case. If it isn't "extreme", worthy of mockery, or world changing, nobody wants to read about it. We've become so far detached from a world that doesn't provide constant electronic entertainment and instant gratification that common sense is becoming passe. Sad.

you mean when the lights go out, my microwave won't work?

I know, they really should warn us about important things like that.

I'm amazed at how many people move out to our area and freak out when the power goes out and realize for the first time that
the water pump stops too.

I'm amazed at how many people move out to our area and freak out when the power goes out and realize for the first time that

Do you ask them why they don't have a hand operated back-up?

It does??? Why am I only learning of this AFTER I moved to NH with a well? Why doesn't anyone tell me these things...

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

And it REALLY becomes a problem when the lights go out and they realize they can't open a can of soup with the electric can opener and heat it up in the microwave.

They would just use their generator like the the "official" said.
Oh it takes gasoline to run a generator..............?

I just went and actually read the original article. I feel dumber now. I gotta stop doing that...

I think you're missing the point. Those people don't even understand what a well is. They still think faucets are just pixie dust powered magical devices.

No, I wasn't missing the point, I was making a joke. (or at least trying to)

Many Preppers are nuts. Nearly everyone featured on that show was either certifiably mentally ill or had deep psychological issues. It seems humans have a need to believe the world is about to end. Most commonly the end is believed to be 2-3 years away. When there is legitimate news of concern – “the end date is near” bunch goes totally apeshit. 2008-2009 was just such period. I remember many Preppers were predicting we won’t make it to 2010 and even if we did 2011 will be absolutely the last year before we start eating each other – and they did not mean oral sex. [grin] I bet many of you reading this became a “Prepper” around 2009.

Of course there are always people around who are willing to take advantage of this need. Just recently there was an older asswipe who collected millions from his followers predicting the end date. When it did not happen - he, just as many other similar scam artists, said he misinterpreted the bible and the end was moved 6 months. When that date came and when – so did the scam artist. Fear and hope are the most powerful tools available. How many “buy gold” commercials have you seen before 2008? How many did you see during 2009-2010? And some shows, like Glenn, was nearly entirely sponsored buy gold and seeds. You can even look of this form for some interesting snapshots of our emotions through time. For example, I remember a post dated 7/14/11 that had a title “GOLD, 'nuff said.” and the parabolic chard of gold price. It implied gold is an awesome investment, get yours now before it’s too late. It also implied that economic SHFT will soon be upon us. The price at the time was $1585. The price today??? – drum roll please – $1555.

Now, I am not saying gold is bad or preparing for emergencies is pointless or anything else of that nature. I own gold and I am well equipped (both knowledge and stuff) to deal with most SHTF scenarios. However, I do not panic or expect the world to end. I study history (hobby) and know the reality of the world. So I take appropriate and often economically beneficial commonsense steps to stabilize my life regardless of external factors. My point is that some take reasonable ideas and push them too far. Relax and enjoy life – no need to overreact and exaggerate things. Oh my God how will anyone open a can of tuna without a can opener? I must buy 20 backups. I bet an average home has at least 10 different tools that can be used to open a can. No one and I mean no one will starve looking at a sealed can. Even the most retarded of us will find a way to open it. Is it helpful to own an opener? Yes. Should you have one? Yes. Will the world end if you do not? No!

Back
Top Bottom