With new PA13-3/13-220 Can I now bring in my previously banned gun?

davidmcbeth

Banned
Had a gun on the banned list ... not in the state & hence was not registered before.

Can I now register it and keep it in the state?

i think not, but if t he state registers it for you, then i would believe that that is their interpretation of the law. try to reg, but keep it broken down and out of sight, or as you say these days "out of state"[smile]

Had a gun on the banned list ... not in the state & hence was not registered before.

Can I now register it and keep it in the state?

Yes you can.

Provided that your ownership never stopped. in 2009 while a resident of NH, you buy a pre-ban AR. In 2011 you move to CT.

Now you want to know if you can bring it in?

Yes. Provided you register it by january. The law says you had to have "lawfully possessed" it. Which you did.

Don - can you elaborate on your interpretation?

My understanding was you had to have legally possessed it IN CT before the bill was signed.

Constructive possession. Doesn't specifically say anything about held out of state, but under the partial/full payment I believe that it would be covered. CCDL has a nice affidavit form for mags and firearms.

Q: I purchased an assault weapon and/or large capacity magazines prior to April 4, 2013, but they were not delivered until after April 4, 2013. May I legally take possession
of them now?

A: Yes,you are in “constructive possession” provided that:
Pursuant to a lawful purchase
(i) a contract for sale was made between the parties prior to or on April 4, 2013 for the purchase of the assault weapon, or
(ii) full or partial payment for the assault weapon was made by the purchaser to the seller of the assault weapon prior to or on April 4, 2013, and
(iii) you can present a writing sufficient to indicate (i) or (ii); or

Actual possession or constructive possession is established by a written statement made under penalty of false statement on such form

prescribed by the Commissioner of Emergency Services and Public Protection.
If you purchased an assault weapon with large capacity magazines on a 14 day wait list and your dealer obtained a STN number prior to or on April 4, 2013 and the 14 days did not expire until after April 4, 2013, your dealer may lawfully transfer the weapon to you, with any accompanying large capacity magazine s despite the fact that the transfer is after the effective date of the Act.

Woda,

This loop hole might work. I've always used the constructive possession interpretation to mean that CT residents can lawfully take possession of items that were ordered prior to the ban, but not available for delivery until after the ban.

Let me reread the law.

e-mitch - don't take a CCDL cheatsheet as law. They are looking at it the same way I looked at it. You need to read the statutes.

Back
Top Bottom