• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

wish I saw this sooner "Make your own railroad spike Knife"

Just got this response to my email:

Hi Rob,
We certainly can. Once you have your group together I can coordinate with the instructor to find a suitable date. Please let me know if you have any preferences regarding days & times, or if you would like to come take a tour of the facility sometime.
Best,
Angela Pasceri
Executive Director at The WorcShop
Www.theworcshop.com
774-545-0720

So who is in?

Yes; I work odd hours (days, nights, weekends), so it'll just depend on date/time for me. I assume they supply the spike? I didn't see anything on their page about bringing your own (curious because people are saying they have spikes to bring).

Last edited:
Yes for 2.
My son and I took"taste of blacksmithing" at Prospect Hill Forge and loved it. This would be a great next step.
I also took that class, and also the class "nothing but knives" . We started with a section of ~3/8" diameter box car spring, and this is what I ended up with:
20151205_230233[1].jpg

Highly recommend the class, especially if you've already taken 'taste of blacksmithing'

I"m also interested, depending on date.

That is awesome! I would love to try that. Metal work is a ton of fun iv been lucky enough to have a fabricator friend teach me a few projects and had a blast. Hope I can fit this in my schedule

I would like in for 2 if still available. I also recall a section of tracks I walked that was recently upgraded. If my memory is correct, I saw dozens of spikes along my walk. I can send my nephew out to collect some if anyone needs any.

you may also consider other uses
railroad-spike-bottle-opener-claw.jpg

86385438d1cb44878381422b481e097d.jpg

Am I the only one who's thinking "85 bucks.. for a one day class to learn how to make a railroad spike into a knife?"

Hell, any pub in Chelsea or Lawrence, or (etc) you can buy a knife for about five bucks.. and still have $80 leftover to drink, play pool, have an altercation, and scream "Yo, Gringo! Back off or I'll cut you!!" (and then finish your beer quickly before the rest of his amigos show up to join the festivities)...

Just sayin'

Am I the only one who's thinking "85 bucks.. for a one day class to learn how to make a railroad spike into a knife?" ......
I'm guessing you aren't infected with the builder's disease like some of us. Having the knife is completely beside the point. It's the making of the thing. I'm sure my knife will look like crap and wouldn't fetch $10 at a knife show, but the experience of making red hot metal submit to my will and violence with a hammer is going to be worth every penny.

Am I the only one who's thinking "85 bucks.. for a one day class to learn how to make a railroad spike into a knife?"

Hell, any pub in Chelsea or Lawrence, or (etc) you can buy a knife for about five bucks.. and still have $80 leftover to drink, play pool, have an altercation, and scream "Yo, Gringo! Back off or I'll cut you!!" (and then finish your beer quickly before the rest of his amigos show up to join the festivities)...

Just sayin'

If you don't want to participate, stfu

Back
Top Bottom