Wise Food Company?

Pure oppinion but:

1) I find their taste to be on the bland side - stock up on spices and practice cooking with their food as a base.
2) Their kits tend to lack variety
3) Their "meal" portions are undersized, typically about half of what you'd like to have in a meal - consider when you're buying them that you'll either want 2x as much as they list or that you'll want to suppliment them with other long-term foods. The later works well to address both the bland flavors and lack of variety.

Their packaging is good though and can make obtaining and storing an extended food supply easier than trying to build out a stock yourself.

Does this food seem a better deal if I can get it at near wholesale pricing thru the group buy?

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE try a couple of samples before you buy any of it.

The guys who run the company seem like solid dudes, but honestly the food is pretty sub par. I was disappointed to say the least.

The guys who run the company seem like solid dudes, but honestly the food is pretty sub par. I was disappointed to say the least.

This 10000000x. There is a reason it is one of the least expensive options out there. Whatever storage food you are thinking of try some first before you dump your money into it.

It's all soy. If you are playing catch up on the food storage game, maybe. Otherwise, Mountain House, Provident Pantry and the LDS store are solid choices.

After trying several things, I ended up mostly storing basic ingredients in bulk which I select myself.

I have a number of 40lb and 5 gallon pails of white rice, lentils, and wheat (and a grain mill). I also got nitrogen packed containers of dehydrated vegetables, soup mixes, dried fruits. Salt. Baking powder. Some other kinds of beans (navy beans, kidney beans). Corn meal. Sugar. Pasta. Powdered peanut butter. Some Spam :)

We can make chili, indian food, pancakes, bread, rice and beans, etc. And have a pretty good mix of protein, carbs.

We have a small garden for things like onions, lettuce, carrots, whatever we have seeds for. But the bulk calories and protein can come from rice and wheat and beans.

The Mountain House style pre-made meals seem kind of unappealing compared to stuff we cook from scratch using dried ingredients. They might be good for a few days, or sometimes mixed in with some staples, but I would not try to live on them for any period of time.

But we did get a bunch of their dried vegetables and fruits.

Prepping is a lifestyle. It is not buying freeze dried glop in a box.
Store what you eat, eat what you store.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking a years supply of freeze dried and 10,000 rounds of ammo is prepardness.

You'll be surprised what you'll eat when you are hungry...You'd eat freeze-dried monkey shit for 6-months to a year if its all you've got to survive...That being said, I concur with others - get samples before you buy and make sure they're full meal samples. I was plotting a group buy on Wise a couple years back and as Derek stated - they're good folks. However, their food was sub-par, (and that's a gift). Everyone is entitled to change, so perhaps their recipes have improved, but I'd pay for a more complete sampling before I'd invest if I were you...

+1. The deals seem pretty good some times, but you can get much better quality tasting food and bigger portions through Provident Pantry or Augason Farms. The provident pantry stuff that I purchased was through here http://beprepared.com/ and the augason farm stuff you can buy through either walmart or costco. Mountain house stuff is good also but really expensive in my opinion with over all quality and quantity in the #10 cans. My wife thought I was a crazy paranoid lunatic, well she still kinda does, for purchasing some of this type of food, but of course after she shut the hell up and actually just tried some she did like some of them. A few things to remember about this stuff is that it takes water to prepare, so you would need allot of it for years supply of this plus then to actually drink, the second is that this stuff is sometimes very high in sodium and would think long term use wouldn't be very good. So you should also look into getting canned goods, lots of water and or filters to clean water, and possibly even some MRE's and food bars. Would love to see people on here go and do a group buy of this stuff from the site above, you can get some great deals on stuff sometimes. Wish you and your family luck in your preps.

Charles.

Back
Top Bottom