• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Wisconsin: Student brings gun to school, school officer handles him.

KVX

Gunshots exchanged between student and school officer in Wisconsin, school officials say
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
Dec. 2 2019

Law enforcement stages outside Waukesha South High School after reports of shots fired inside the school Monday, Dec. 2, 2019.

WAUKESHA, Wis. – Gunshots were exchanged between a student and a school resource officer inside Waukesha South High School in Wisconsin, according to school officials.
The student brought the gun to school, school officials tell the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
The suspect is in custody and the building is safe and secure, according to the Waukesha Police Department.
The school went on lockdown at 10 a.m. CST, according to an email to parents from a district official. Students will be let out of school at 11:15 a.m.
The email said students were cleared from the hallway and in locked classrooms after a school resource officer received information that a student had a gun.
Police went to the classroom where the student who was suspected to have a gun.
"We appreciate all the quick response by the staff and students," the email said. "The safety and security of all students and staff are a top priority."
The district said it will provide more information later.
A student who said she was inside the school wrote in an email to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that students were put in a lockdown drill at 10 a.m.
"When that occurs we hide in the corners and turn off the lights and lock the doors. Minutes later we heard screaming and then heard 2 gunshots.
"They were right next to my classroom so we all went into shock even my teacher hid with us. We stayed down for like 20 minutes and the actual lockdown sound went out. Our police officer went on the speaker and said to stay on hold and we have been in the classroom ever since," the student wrote just after 11 a.m.

Parents gather outside Waukesha South High School moments before the school began releasing students at 11:15 a.m. Monday.

The school went on lockdown after that. Whittier Elementary School is also on lockdown.
Emergency radio traffic indicated a command post is being set up inside the school.
Police squad cars are blocking all the entrances at the high school and other streets around the school are shut down.

SOURCE © Mapcreator.io | © OSM.org

Parents are gathering outside the school.
An unnamed manager at the neighboring store said police told him the situation is under control, but he was not authorized to say anything more.
Contributing: Christopher Kuhagen, Jim Riccioli, Jesse Garza, Joe Taschler, Talis Shelbourne and Bill Glauber of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
Follow the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel on Twitter: @journalsentinel

Waukesha County sheriffs deputy at the scene at the Waukesha South High School.

Gonna be honest, the article at this time doesnt indicate a exchange of gunfire, just that someone was suspected of having a gun and shots.

Headline reads like this guy went to to toe with this kid in a hallway shootout, article reads like he popped a kid like a baltimore cop at a late night traffic stop.

We showed our daughters the designated rendezvous point (local McDonald's near their school). In case of trouble like this, they are to run from the school to the McDonald's and call us from there. We will deal with any disciplinary action from the school at a later time

It’s good thinking/planning, just make that the exit they're taught to use isn’t a perfect fatal funnel or ambush spot. There was an old case (can’t remember much detail about it now) but shooter in the school and other shooter or two waiting in the tree line with rifles to take out any kids that tried to run. Hopefully never comes to it ether way.

***Summary of events***

Dude has gun. Officer tries to talk him down. Dude points gun at officer. Officer shoots dude, but not fatal. Dude fails at planned suicide by cop. Media fails at getting another mass casualty event.

It’s good thinking/planning, just make that the exit they're taught to use isn’t a perfect fatal funnel or ambush spot. There was an old case (can’t remember much detail about it now) but shooter in the school and other shooter or two waiting in the tree line with rifles to take out any kids that tried to run. Hopefully never comes to it ether way.
I told them to put a chair through a glass window or door if necessary to escape. I will pay for a new window or door if the school raises a a stink. Safety first!

We showed our daughters the designated rendezvous point (local McDonald's near their school). In case of trouble like this, they are to run from the school to the McDonald's and call us from there. We will deal with any disciplinary action from the school at a later time

Yep - my kids knew out the first window/exit possible and keep running.

I remember that shooting, they pulled the fire alarm and waited in the tree line, both of those kids were locked up until they turned 21, they are now free.

I remember that shooting, they pulled the fire alarm and waited in the tree line, both of those kids were locked up until they turned 21, they are now free.

Yes that was it, thanks. Did they actually do any shooting or were they compromised prior to? Was a long time ago in my mind.

Yes that was it, thanks. Did they actually do any shooting or were they compromised prior to? Was a long time ago in my mind.
Yes, they shot and killed teachers and children. It happened before Columbine. I will look around the internet and see if I can find it.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitchell_Johnson_and_Andrew_Golden

Edit- I suck at posting links

I told them to put a chair through a glass window or door if necessary to escape. I will pay for a new window or door if the school raises a a stink. Safety first!

I had similar conversations with my kids. One would have been fine with effecting his own escape, the other probably would have been the one the ruckus was all about. Neither ever had to deal with an incident. Both eventually escaped the "educators" and became productive members of society.

Back
Top Bottom