WIRES-X

ToddDubya

NES Member
Anyone use WIRES-X? I have the itch to buy a new radio because my other unused radios are unsatisfactory. I had been looking at the FT3DR but thought maybe I should set my sights a little lower. The FT-70DR seems like another good choice, and I thought the "chat rooms" could be fun to even just listen to. I don't really quite understand how it all works, so I'm doing some reading. My local repeater shows up as WIRES capable, so that's cool.

Hmm, is that an older feature? I'm real new to this so I'm just learning, but it sounds like it uses C4FM digital to connect, vs DTMF.

Hmm, is that an older feature? I'm real new to this so I'm just learning, but it sounds like it uses C4FM digital to connect, vs DTMF.
I'll betcha you've spotted a crucial distinction: WIRES-II and WIRES-X.
I know nothing about the former,
whereas I know nothing about the latter.

But it is a PITA to bump a knob during a public service event and you're beeping...
(Albeit a minor PITA).

Boy, WIRES-X doesn't work exactly like I thought. I guess I was hosing up the local repeater by shifting nodes or whatever the terminology is. So I picked up a Pi hat and have a hotspot running through a Pi 3. That seems to be working very well after some futzing to get it setup in the first place. I just made my first QSO via America Link with a guy on the west coast. Not bad for an HT.

Back
Top Bottom