Wireless Game Cam, non-cellular?

Mountain

NES Member
Hey NES-

As mentioned in another thread, my game cam at the back of my property was stolen within the last ~week. I would like to go ahead and install at least one but preferably multiple wireless cameras since one of our cars was broken into last winter. The last thing I want is to be paying another fee to a phone company, so I'd like something wifi compatible or similar.

Not sure how to proceed. Boost wifi signal from the house? How to set up to record images? Email notification would be nice too. Game cam was just for fun to ID different critters coming through the property. We get some nice deer, coyotes, bobcat, bear, fox, fisher, porcupine, and even a moose. I'd still like to have a dedicated game cam, but now I'm more interested in catching images of any 'rats' that might take my sh!t.

Security cams might be OK if they have a pic mode rather than constant video, or at least notify in case of motion detector activation.

Any thoughts? Thanks...

Spypoint used to make a "WiFi trail camera", but it seems to be off the market. Spypoint still has a couple models where certain of their cameras can upload to a remote device (max 500' away) that archives the pictures, but not live Internet uploading over WiFi.

Moultrie has several game cameras which will work with the "Eye-Fi" brand wireless SD cards to upload via WiFi. Because the antenna is actually inside an SD card inside a game camera, these have very short range. Bushnell is now offering one model, 119519, with the Eye-fi card included.

Last edited:
I was thinking I could get a set of wifi cams and use one of the set as a game cam. After seeing what the range was (generally too short) for wifi and wanting to avoid cellular, I'm going to mount a standard game cam at the back forty. It will be anchored with a Python locking cable and mounted high enough to discourage light fingers. I may use a protector box too. It's a shame that I have to do this on my own property. People suck.

I'll figure out what angle works for the high cam mount. I have an active game trail so I think I can capture some good action despite narrowing the detection field via the high mount.

I did learn something from the above posts and plan to install wifi security cams in a couple places around the house. Thanks folks.

Another option is Buckeye Cam (aka BEC) with their frequency hopping spread spectrum proprietary wireless RF transmitter, they claim "up to 2 miles line-of-sight with the standard antennas". Not cheap!

What about a WiFi SD card instead? That way you could stick to regular trail cams. If you have a directional antenna in your house it may extend the range enough to pick it up.
Range is very short, only a few game cameras are compatible with WiFi SD cards; most game cameras are optimized for battery life, shut down as soon as they finish writing the file to the SD card, so the EyeFi card never gets a chance to actually upload anything.

Moultrie has several game cameras which will work with the "Eye-Fi" brand wireless SD cards to upload via WiFi. Because the antenna is actually inside an SD card inside a game camera, these have very short range. Bushnell is now offering one model, 119519, with the Eye-fi card included.
If you're going to use a WiFi SD card, you really need an external power source (AC power or battery pack), these little cards chew through batteries.

Here's a sample from tonight's visitors:
2ikfcav.jpg

ir-night-vision-photo.jpg

This is the photo taken by my WingHome 350C trail camera, the night vision quality is good! I can see the grass on the ground clearly.
It has taken some pics of rats, but I lost these photos otherwise I will show it to you all.

I have to say that WingHome trail camera is awesome, it deserves the money that I paid.

Last edited:
How's the WiFi range on that?

Isn't WingHome just a “third shift” clone of Willfine? If so, I wonder if they've managed to clone the DefendX...

Hi, Kevin

WOW, it is really shocked for me to hear from you and mentioned the DefendX. :eek:

Actually WingHome is not a clone of Willfine, winghome is our own brand, we just cooperate with Willfine. In the next product iteration, we will use our own design and make a more obvious difference from their other products!

So by the way, do you have suggestions about DefendX? If you don't mind, you can send me your email address, and I will call them to send email to you later. They value your feedback.

No offense, Mr. Two Posts in 5 Months Necro-Thread Re-animator dude...but I don't think Mr. 7.5K posts should send you his email address.

...and I wouldn't sell you a nickle for a dime.

what exactly are you selling here (might as well be honest and maybe you'll get some takers)?

Could I venture a guess that it's WingHome 350C trail camera's?

Is this the 'new' way to scam like the old door to door CutCo knives salesmen?

...except apparently the salesmen never have to leave the comfort of their home in Ladyboy, Thailand to make their commission.

Last edited:
No offense, Mr. Two Posts in 5 Months Necro-Thread Re-animator dude...but I don't think Mr. 7.5K posts should send you his email address.

...and I wouldn't sell you a nickle for a dime.

what exactly are you selling here (might as well be honest and maybe you'll get some takers)?

Could I venture a guess that it's WingHome 350C trail camera's?

Is this the 'new' CutCo knives scam?

Sorry to bother you.
I just want to share my photos, and let you guys know that our camera is in good quality, just let you get to know it.

Back
Top Bottom