• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Wipe/clean loaded cartriges?

Hey guys,
I tumble my brass pretty clean before reloading - however throughout the reloading process (i have a single stage Lee) the dirt/oils/powder residue etc. from my fingers from handling the rounds tends to dirty/tarnish them a bit, so by the time I have a loaded round it's not all shiny, squeaky clean like when it started! I've tried just wiping them with a dry rag before storing in plastic ammo boxes, and it cleans them up some. Does anybody have this issue, and is there anything I can SAFELY use to quickly wipe clean the finished rounds before storing? Oh, and I realize that it's purely cosmetic...[thinking] I'm loading primarily pistol rounds (9mm, .38 and .40) Thanks in advance!
- Jeff

It has been discussed here Ad nauseam, but just throw ‘em back in the
tumbler with some Nu Finish when you are done.

That’s what I (and more than a few others here) do.

Nice and shiny!

I don't worry about it because the slightly tarnished rounds seem to shoot just as well as the shiny ones.

Last edited:
It has been discussed here Ad nauseam, but just throw ‘em back in the
tumbler with some Nu Finish when you are done.

That’s what I (and more than a few others here) do.

Nice and shiny!

Yea I don't do it personally, but I hear from others on here it's safe and that's what some of the bigger factories do also. Just don't leave them in for too long or it may break down the powder if left in too long.

I don't worry about it because the slightly tarnished rounds seen to shoot just as well as the shiny ones.

This. I had some .45 ACP rounds that were "frosty" because there was a little too much case lube on them. (I don't -need- to use it, but it makes using the press easier). They went bang just fine and worked just as well as un-frosted cartridges do. [laugh]

-Mike

I started useing gloves, I found some nitrile coated "gardening" gloves @ Ocean state job lot. They fit snugly and do not make my hands sweat. I think they are a cotton blend with the fingers and palms dipped. The are not heavy and have a nice grip to them.
I also use the micro fiber towels to wipe of my rounds.

Another goodie to try is a small piece of VCI impregnated paper in the storage box. like the pieces in the die sets when new.

...just throw ‘em back in the tumbler...

Based on the recommendations like that, I started tumbling my 5.56 and .308 reloads in crushed walnut to remove the case lube.

It only takes about 10 minutes in the tumbler for the lube to be removed and for the cases to come out nice and clean.

Removing the skin oil and giving the brass a quick buff should be no problem.

Just think how much of a beating the ammo takes from factory to shelf. Tumbler is mild compared to that. Put them in the tumbler and move on. You won't break down the powder.

Try taking a little powder in your rubber gloved hand and roll it around and grind it together, it will look the same when done if it's stick.

Spherical is light and cushions against other granules.

Maybe there are some that will break down but they are few and far between.

I have forgotten about some finished ammo and tumbled it for a day and a half with expected results at the range.

Bang...Not BOOM!

Back
Top Bottom