• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Winterseed!! Harvard MA, Sunday February 15, 2015

Attention Shooters! There will be a one-day Winterseed event at Harvard Sportsman's club
on Sunday February 15, 2015.

For those interested in a challenge, Winterseed definitely brings it up a notch.

Come out and shoot in Valley Forge-like conditions. See if you are up to the challenge!

Prove you have what it takes to EARN the rare and coveted Winterseed Rifleman patch.

For more info:

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/search-states-location.php?locationid=205&id_event=3712

To register:

http://www.eventbrite.com/e/harvard-ma-appleseed-february-15-2015-one-day-event-tickets-15641352707

Last edited:
As of 2015-02-06, the forecast calls for clear skies, a high of 15-ish, rapidly falling temperatures after sunset (low of -10), and precipitation on 2-7, 2-8, 2-9, and 2-12.

Been there, done that.

Wear your snuggies, remember to CLEAN your rifle before and after, bring a shooting mat and a grill for lunch. [grin]

Athol, February 7th, 2009. Instructors: me (shoot boss trainee), crak (shoot boss trainer) and Mr. Twigg. (Crak and Mr. Twigg are seen there on the line).
DSC01811.jpg

Nice, Henry.

Attention Shooters! There will be a one-day Winterseed event at Harvard Sportsman's club
on Sunday February 15, 2015.

For those interested in a challenge, Winterseed definitely brings it up a notch.

Come out and shoot in Valley Forge-like conditions. See if you are up to the challenge!

Prove you have what it takes to EARN the rare and coveted Winterseed Rifleman patch.

For more info:

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/search-states-location.php?locationid=205&id_event=3712

To register:

http://www.eventbrite.com/e/harvard-ma-appleseed-february-15-2015-one-day-event-tickets-15641352707

Seems I recall a few months back some folks asking "After Applessed, what's next?"

We'll here's your opportunity to prove to yourself that you OWN the skills you honed during
the warmer weather. Prove to yourself, if the shot really mattered that you could do it no matter
what the weather.

Are you are as tough as a Patriot? . . no not the Super-Bowl kind..and not the summer/sunshine kind.. but a REAL patriot..
the kind that rode for hours on horseback, and through a blizzard to warn his fellow citizens
about an impending attack.. or the kind that rowed across the Delaware, on a cold winter night, to
surprise the enemy..an enemy who didn't expect those patriots to be crazy enough ( or to have the strength and conviction) to pull off
such a stunt.. or the patriots whose bloody footprints in the snow, was proof that those Patriots had the will to confront and prevail against
any challenge to their right to self-determination...

Or, you could stay home, stay warm, and watch re-runs.. But..I guarantee...at some point this weekend
you will be wondering how those Appleseed folks are doing.. you might even be wondering.. what if...

Come out and celebrate the rights these folks sacrificed so much to give US! Maybe, even earn a Winterseed patch in the process..At very least you will have earned some serious bragging rights. Be able to brag to your friends and co-workers.. " I faced the cold and the snow and shot a Rifleman's score...what did YOU do this weekend?"...

Temps are expected to be cold..cold..cold.. The high (if you could call it that) will be about 9 degrees.. NO question this WILL be a Winterseed..

So far this is the ONLY Winterseed scheduled for New England for 2015... If you want THE badge which IMHO distinguishes the character of a true Rifleman above all
others.. Winterseed is the event to attend..

The Winterseed date is rapidly approaching, but there are still some slots left.

Hope to see you there...

Last edited:
"the kind that rode for hours on horseback, and through a blizzard to warn his fellow citizens
about an impending attack.. or the kind that rowed across the Delaware, on a cold winter night, to
surprise the enemy..an enemy who didn't expect those patriots to be crazy enough ( or to have the strength and conviction) to pull off
such a stunt.. or the patriots whose bloody footprints in the snow, was proof that those Patriots had the will to confront and prevail against
any challenge to their right to self-determination..."

Well, you might be right about the blizzard.

Current forecast from the Weather Channel, periods of snow and windy. Potential for blizzard conditions. High 18F. Winds NW at 25 to 35 MPH. Chance of snow 90%. Snow accumulating 3 to 5 inches.

All we need is some blood and a canoe [smile] All the more fun, I say...

Appleseed. Worth it. Did it several times. Got the patches. [wink]

Winterseed. Worth it. Did it once. Got my blue patch.

And if you need blood and a canoe, just ask atilla [rofl]. Of course, he fell into the pond, so that might be a different event...

Hey, "he fell into the pond, so that might be a different event..." I'll sign up for that, too [laugh]

Well, this should be interesting....

* Hazard types...blizzard conditions...including heavy snow...
poor visibilities...and strong to damaging winds. Dangerously
low wind chill values.

Please take lots of pics for us softies. [laugh]
I've taken my camera to every appleseed I've been to, but have never gotten any pictures.... always too busy shooting, and this time was no different.

I was looking forward to a winterseed, but I only just now saw this announcement. Just as well, this is a bit too extreme for me at the moment !

The weather turned out to be not too bad. Worst weather seemed to be on the drive over (couldn't see more than probably 100yds ahead on Rt2 at times), must have stopped snowing shortly after I arrived. There was only the occasional strong gust of wind (which came with blinding snow).

I was a little worried at first, it didn't look like there were many tracks in the snow and I got all the way to the 60yd range before I saw someone else... apparently I just got there really early.

Didn't get rifleman today, so that leaves me at 2 for 3 for the appleseeds I've been to. I guess that makes me a winter-time cook [laugh]

I did get the 10/22 Take-Down apart after it sat inside for a few minutes - I got the heat gun out in case, but it came apart first try.
My theory is the locking ring, being on the outside and more exposed to the cold, contracted slightly more than the barrel and locked it in place. The ice probably didn't help either.
I think I'll get a regular 10/22 for the next winterseed I do though....

Thanks to all the volunteers who made it happen, it turned out to be a pretty good day!

And as a side note, I"m pretty happy with how my new tires (Cooper AT/3) seemed to perform in the snow there before the plow truck made the rounds through HSC.

Last edited:
I have to say, Jefftk and Tom are tougher than I am. They made it through all of the rounds. I sat out on a couple of the AQT's due to the cold, numb fingers, and removing snow that was caked onto my face. Fantastic!

I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. What a great event, aim and hbennett were phenomenal instructors. When you hear on the interwebs about how much people learn at these events, it's no joke. Thanks aim and hbennet.

I will see you guys at the next Harvard Appleseed and I hope to convince my wife to AQT.

Last edited:
I have to say, Jefftk is tougher than I am. Jefftk made it through all of the rounds. I sat out on a couple of the AQT's due to the cold, numb fingers, and removing snow that was caked onto my face. Fantastic!

I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. What a great event, aim and hbennett were phenomenal instructors. When you hear on the interwebs about how much people learn at these events, it's no joke. Thanks aim and hbennet.

I will see you guys at the next Harvard Appleseed and I hope to convince my wife to AQT.

Thanks for all the kind words. As far as toughness goes, all three students showed LOTS of toughness, both physical and mental for showing up at this event and toughing out the entire day.

The temps were uncomfortable, the wind and the blowing snow made conditions brutal. But YOU came, and YOU toughed it out.. and your shooting IMPROVED at the same time.

My hat is off to all you gentlemen. You could have been doing ANYTHING else on that Sunday.. You could have stayed in, stayed warm, and stayed comfortable. Yet, you came, you challenged yourself and the elements, and I never heard a single complaint.

You came not to show others, but to prove to yourselves what YOU are capable of doing. You are all
men of character, who "Know what they are about". You have certainly earned my respect and admiration.

Appleseed couldn't do what it does without Patriots like YOU!!

My hat is also off to the the two high-school aged instructors that showed participated along with AIM and myself. One qualified on the LAST AQT of the day, and the other who came close with a score of 203.. 7 points short.. but came and toughed it out none the less.. Both young men were instrumental in setting up the range and running the event..and cooking lunch.. The hotdogs and beans and hot coffee was a feast.. because the food was HOT and the temp was COLD...

The Grounds crew at Harvard Sportsmans are also owed a HUGE THANK YOU for getting the range ready. The
65 yd range would have been even more challenging had they not run the snow-blower down there to make
it useable. Walking down the range to check targets is definitely preferable to trudging back and forth through
thigh-deep snow..not that we wouldn't have done it.

This Appleseed is one for the record books. As I told the participants, if you can meet the challenge of these
conditions, you can and will succeed anywhere! A Rifleman persists!

BTW- did you know that when the temperature outside gets down to about 4 degress .. .22 ammo and metal magazines actually stick to an ungloved hand... any guesses on how I know this....

Last edited:
I took several photos throughout the day. When I get time to download them, I will post them on the Appleseed website, and post a link.

Back
Top Bottom