Winterseed - 2/13/16 at Harvard Sportsmen's Club

Project Appleseed has a shoot planned for this Saturday at Harvard. Winterseed badges are in the offing.
If the current weather forecast is to be believed, we can expect 17 degrees in the morning, with temperature falling into single digits all day. This will not be a day for summer soldiers!

For those who have the courage to brave the winter, last year, the February shoot looked like this http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=44356. All over America, men and women think themselves accursed they were not there, and hold their patches cheap while any speaks that shot with us, upon St. Daniels day. This is your chance to prove yourself the equal of those fine Americans!

For all the Appleseed veterans, and those wishing to test themselves, short of an all out blizzard, or hurricane, this is pretty near as challenging as it can be. I have shot many Rifleman scores, but my Winterseed patch is my most cherished. Why? Because the Winterseed patch was by far the hardest earned. Those that have attended a Winterseed can attest to how the cold, discomfort, heavy clothing, and equipment challenges certainly enhance the difficulty factor.

The Winterseed patch is NOT guaranteed even if you can normally shoot Rifleman in ideal weather conditions. Come out and stand amongst the frozen few who stand above the rest. For those wondering what to do next after a scoring Rifleman, here is a great opportunity to step up your game. Test yourself. Shoot for an award that distinguishes US as Northern Rifleman. We also get summer heat, humidity, and rainstorms like down south. However, unlike us Northerners, The southern folks can't even imagine what frozen discomfort is like. But, as bad as it can be, remember this, the cold and discomfort will soon be forgotten, but the pride from that Icicle Patch will last a lifetime. And, it will speak volumes about its owner.

Ask yourself. Are you a sunshine soldier? Or are you a Valley Forge Patriot? Do you have the stuff to be the Henry Knox type of Patriot? Could you stand with the ones who struggled and persevered to bring much needed artillery down the frozen Hudson river and across Massachusetts in January and February of 1776 and whose efforts were instrumental in breaking the siege of Boston.

Believe it or not, there are folks around the country that believe them "naw-then-us" to be soft. Come out and bust this myth. Show that YOU "know what you are about".

Last edited:
The forecast currently calls for a high of 15°F, a low of 2°F, and temperatures dipping into single digits by early afternoon. Awarding of the actual icicle patches is up to the Shoot Boss, of course, but I imagine that they will be available. On the bright side, and unlike Leyden, Harvard is usually blessed with a relative absence of insects and other flying pests, so participants should have relatively little standing between them and that coveted patch.

Awarding of the actual icicle patches is up to the Shoot Boss, of course, but I imagine that they will be available.

2016-02-12 07_50_16-Wind Chill Warning in Massachusetts.png

If the weather folks are to be believed, icicle patches will indeed be available, and anyone who gets one will have indeed earned it!

Dress warmly!

No, more warmly than that.

My son and I had a great time Lupis, Thanks to you and the other instructors for putting it on.
I think at one point my nose actually froze to the charging handle of my M4.[grin]

My son and I had a great time Lupis, Thanks to you and the other instructors for putting it on.
I think at one point my nose actually froze to the charging handle of my M4.[grin]

That's taking the concept of "cheek weld" a step too far, no? Still, very nice groups on the last redcoat target.

Back
Top Bottom