Winter Warrior 2022-2023 Postal Match for Iron Sight Military Rifles

Bump. Snow's on the ground, temps are freezing or below. Probably the best odds you will see for a free $100 (Brownells gift card). Also this will likely be the last one that I run. Maybe we can have a general winter milsurp 'post your targets' thread, but I don't think I'll repeat the Winter Warrior postal match including the 'fabulous prizes' (ha ha) aspect. Get it while the gettin is good...

Bump. Snow's on the ground, temps are freezing or below. Probably the best odds you will see for a free $100 (Brownells gift card). Also this will likely be the last one that I run. Maybe we can have a general winter milsurp 'post your targets' thread, but I don't think I'll repeat the Winter Warrior postal match including the 'fabulous prizes' (ha ha) aspect. Get it while the gettin is good...
No snow and 36 here.:(

Somebody was at HSC in vintage uniform this morning, maybe we'll see an entry in a bit? I was lazy and hung out with the archery folks after breakfast.

I went to the range yesterday but did not qualify. Did have fun though. Fired an HK91. Ar10 and a Ruger Gunsite.
I may need to amend rules a little. 30-something for temperature, as in 39 is OK...

I’m still waiting on the snow. The only day we had snow on the ground and I was free to shoot the PD had the range rented

Thank you !
I just made note of that in the original post.

Honestly, my absolute least favorite weather is temps in the 30's and raining. That's what I'll get for tomorrow night's ski racing league- again, for the second week in a row. :(

On a positive note, my Finn Mosin crossbolt nut came in and is on the rifle. I'll try my favorite hand loads next trip to the range.

Honestly, my absolute least favorite weather is temps in the 30's and raining.
One Hundred Sgn GIF by SomeGoodNews

shot this afternoon 1/16/2023 Overcast, temps around 30 degrees, light wind, ground covered in snow. ETA Tavor x95 in it's stock configuration. PMC ammo 55 grain

tavorx95 100yds.jpg

Last edited:
I managed to get out this morning. Temp was 34 and snow on the ground. Shot my recently acquired cmp field grade converted to 308 with a criterion barrel. Wolf 308 shot decent with one double score. I also had my Norinco underfolder but I shot to poorly with it today to even count it.

Attachments

• A8831E0A-8D09-4DAC-93BB-57A113CB0472.jpeg
    A8831E0A-8D09-4DAC-93BB-57A113CB0472.jpeg
    876.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 10D93719-70A4-4D0B-8D6E-6CB7E6D95486.jpeg
    10D93719-70A4-4D0B-8D6E-6CB7E6D95486.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
I managed to get out this morning. Temp was 34 and snow on the ground. Shot my recently acquired cmp field grade converted to 308 with a criterion barrel. Wolf 308 shot decent with one double score. I also had my Norinco underfolder but I shot to poorly with it today to even count it.
Nice shooting with that field grade! I hate to break it to ya, but that lower hand guard might not be original. [smile]

You spin that barrel on yourself?

Also a reminder that even a crappy target still counts as a drawing entry so no shame in posting that Norinco target.

Nice. thanks for making me look bad. LOL I'm assuming that's a double in the 10 ring at 6:30

Yep double in the 10 ring. I installed the barrel myself. I bought the tools to do my farthers garand and figured I better get my money out of them. The handgaurd are just NOS replacement birch I believe that I picked up over on the cmp forums.

Had the day off yesterday so I decided to take my 'Murican bolt guns to the range.

Range.jpg

Rifles.jpg

First up was my Remington 1903A3...

Target #1 - 95-1X

Not my best group but everything was in the black at least...
1903A3 #1.jpg

Target #2 - 92-3X?

A much tighter group except for the one I yanked low. Too bad I had 2 walk a little high on me...
1903A3 #2.jpg

Second was my 1917 with it's original 1918-dated barrel...

Target #1 - 81-0X

Haven't shot this rifle in quite a while...apparently it hits left and a little low at 100yds. I yanked one just left outside in the imaginary 7 ring. I was able to bring the last few shots up in elevation at least....
1917 #1.jpg

Target #2 - 92-3X?

First few shots were still low-left. Corrected windage but was still low. Finally was able to put it all together and got a good cluster around the 10-ring. I may need to re-visit the 1917 before winter's out.
1917 #2.jpg

My entries for today.

At Harvard Sportsman's Club the temp was 32 when I pulled up, quickly rose to "way too hot for the amount of clothes I'm wearing" by the time I was done. Still an inch or two of snow on the ground, so I think these entries should count.

First target from today:
22.jpg

Took one of my favorites out as a "practice": The Springfield 1922 M2 trainer chambered in .22LR. While this isn't a "military" caliber per se, I think I can squeak into the rules of the competition since it was a military issue trainer rifle. (Will delete if deemed not allowed) This rifle is a piece of cake to shoot with 0 recoil and a very nice Lyman target sight as-issued. 4-35 Barrel, likely put on when the rifle was updated to the M2 configuration. It has a crooked "II" stamp after the serial number indicating such.

Shot prone, sling supported. Score: 97 2X or 96 2X if you're calling one on the margin. Not bad. The previous owner put a stippled line on the elevation adjustment ladder that is perfectly set for 100 yards, which is nice. I did get a number of "duds" from my box of CCI standard velocity. Good strikes, just bad ammo.

Next up today: a Rock Island Arsenal 1903, with a nice shiny 8-42 SA barrel. This 1903 has a lot of nice USMC features, including stippled butt plate, serialized bolt that matches the receiver, hatcher hole, "pipe wrench" marks on the barrel, Keystone C stock and a USMC globe front sight cover. One of my personal favorites, next to my 1903 Springfield I posted earlier.

I did not do this rifle justice with my mediocre scores.

Shot prone sling. First shots in top target 90 2X. Moved the rear ladder sight a tick up and to the right, and that didn't help. Second string on bottom target, 91 1X.

1903 RIA.jpg

And, since I had the rifle out I took this one out to 200 with a homemade 200 yard target. Not for score, just for practice. Will attempt for score next weekend if the weather is permissive!

25 Rounds fired, 24 on target and most are in the 9 or better. Works for me!

1903 200.jpg

Last edited:
And last but not least, one of the first Milsurps I bought. An M1917 Eddystone, manufactured March of 1918 with matching barrel. This one doesn't seem like it had a lot to do in 1918, as it is in pretty good shape for it's age. I had a hard time finding a good cheek weld, since the comb is so different than 1903 pattern rifles. I shot this one last today, after about an hour with the other two I posted. Need more practice. I've shot this rifle in a run and gun match when I lived in Maryland a few years back, and it is absolutely one of the easiest rifles to run. Cock on close and the dog leg bolt makes rapid follow up shots easier than really any other bolt action I've dealt with (other than a No4 Mk1 enfield, of course).

Shot prone sling first string on left, sight is too low! 62 0X. Big fail. Should have sighted this in a bit better. I used a slightly different ammo load than I usually do in this one because I forgot the bandoleer of LC68 I had pulled out for it. Used some hand loads, and they did not go well. Second string, right target: 89 0X. Practice makes perfect.

Eddy.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom