Winter Warrior 2021-2022 Postal Match for Iron Sight Military Rifles

Mountain

NES Member
It's back!!! - 2021-2022 WINTER WARRIOR

c855322ceca274a36c88d96fd77bfd68.jpg

Prior years' Winter Warrior postal matches were great fun for me and hopefully for many of you as well. Let's do it again!

Iron sight military rifles only this time. If anyone wants to run a pistol / other type of match, I highly encourage you to do so. Part of the fun of this is seeing how different rifles perform on the same targets under same or similar conditions.

Rules:
  • To win fabulous prizes (LOL), entrant must be a NES green member.
  • Qualifying winter weather = snow cover on the ground and/or below freezing weather. Pile of snow somewhere on the range or range parking lot is good enough for me.
  • Iron sight military rifles only, in original military calibers. Anything from a Brown Bess to an AR or AK, but must be iron sights. Since stupid CMP now allows free-float AR's, they are OK for this match if you are a wuss. Kidding. OK, not really kidding [laugh] .
  • 10 shots per target. Any shot completely off paper? Take it as a mulligan- we won't know! [rofl]
  • Target will be the SR-1 'reduced' SR target shot at 100 yards. Alternately, you may submit a SR target from 200 yards and/or official scorecard from a CMP match. I'll post a link to a printable SR-1 'center' that prints out on 8-1/2 x 11 paper. SR-1 target centers are cheap and printed centers are free. Let's please not clutter the match with random targets.
  • Preferred shooting position is prone but I completely understand if you have any physical limitations that require you to shoot from the bench. You don't even have to mention that you shot from the bench. No lead sleds or gun vise clamping type of devices. Sand bags or other type of rest OK, but why not shoot like a boss? (prone with sling)
  • Winner of fabulous prizes will be determined by random drawing. Each SR-1 or SR target pic submitted gives you one entry. You may enter as many times as you like to increase your chances. Top score will win bragging rights and title of NES Winter Warrior.
  • Each initial entry must include a pic of rifle used. Follow up targets with the same rifle don't need another rifle pic. I'm sure we would all like to know the history of your rifles and little about the loads you shoot. Hey, it's winter and we need moar cool stuff to read about!
That's it for now. If you have any cool 'Winter Warrior' pics, please post 'em! If anyone has trouble posting pics please ask for help.

Here's a link to a printable SR-1:

NRA SR-1 Target | Bison Ballistics

Update 12/17/2021
I think for fabulous prizes 2021/22 I'll send the winner a $75 Brownells gift card and throw in a surplus bandoleer + NOS enblocs for M1 rifles. One entry per rules compliant target (or CMP scorecard) posted, winner selected via random drawing. Top scores for bragging rights, which of course on NES are priceless. Crappy weather, so something to sweeten the pot and add some cheer- additional 'fabulous' LOL prizes: 2 sleeves (200) of CCI small rifle primers and 1 sleeve (100) of CCI Large Rifle Primers. Who knows- these could be worth millions by the end of Winter Warrior! There's a small catch- if you want the primers you have to pick up the prizes either in the Wachusett Mountain or Worcester area, or alternately in April when I'm at an Old Colony match.

Nights in N Central Mass are starting to feel nice and cool. Before we know it those freezing temps and snow will be back, and we know what that means- Winter Warrior!

Just a head's up to the forum: As this match has become highly competitive and there's a big temptation to take performance enhancing drugs, the winner will be required to send a pee sample to:

24 Beacon St, Boston, MA 02133

Something to whet appetites for winter shooting conditions-

The 10th Mountain Division: WWII's High-Altitude Heroes - Tahoe Quarterly

TMD-940_cmyk.jpg

Last edited:
Excepting stupid 2020, the CMP has held the New England Games at Camp Ethan Allen in Vermont. Normally I like to tent camp for this event, but was unable to get an answer about that this year. Now I know why- new construction right on top of the designated camping spot for a new Army Mountain Warfare School facility Construction begins on new Army Mountain Warfare School facility . I didn't think it kosher to take and post pics this week but it's moving along and below rendition is exactly what it will look like once complete:

201101-Z-FW788-0001.JPG

70 foot climbing wall, billeting for 174, and possibly ski out / in to their recently renovated lift.

Soldiers_climbing_Smugglers_Notch-1280x720.jpg

Weather was gorgeous this week and attendance to the matches was solid. While I didn't exactly kick ass, my shooting was good enough to earn a bronze with the M1 Garand and the K31 Swiss.

Winter is coming!

Lots of NESers with new M1 Garands this year. Take 'em out this winter and post a target. See first post for link to printable SR-1. Reminder that any iron sight milsurp rifle is eligible and 'fabulous' prizes are random draw- each target = one draw. Top score for bragging rights.

'Pro tip' for winter shooting: Mobil 1 synthetic grease works well on M1's / M1a's / M14's. I had no issues as low as minus 7F and I'll try colder if I have the chance. Also note that RemOil turns gummy somewhere a bit below 15F. It can gum up AR's and will make bolt guns difficult to work.

For my first entry, I think I'll wait for my IHC M1 to arrive from CMP. After that, I have an 03A3 that needs a little more attention then I'll shoot that.

Already some mornings below freezing in some parts of New England, and at least some flurries / mixed precip in the forecast for the next week.

First entry might be with this bad boy, IHC 'Tractor Gun'.

kekaXgch.jpg

Missed opportunity to put a vintage web sling on it for the pic. I thought perhaps the butt stock was some sort of commercial replacement and made out of beech, but one of the collector gurus on another site was pretty sure it's a Winchester stock that had been sanded down at some point. Cleaned up the grunge on the hand guards and stripped & steamed dings out of the stock + guards. Now the wood is all more closely matched and I can see that the butt stock is indeed walnut. I'll dye it to match if necessary before some BLO for all the wood. Should be plenty cold again before it's ready for another range trip.

I think for fabulous prizes 2021/22 I'll send the winner a $75 Brownells gift card and throw in a surplus bandoleer + NOS enblocs for M1 rifles. One entry per rules compliant target (or CMP scorecard) posted, winner selected via random drawing. Top scores for bragging rights, which of course on NES are priceless.

First entry might be with this bad boy, IHC 'Tractor Gun'.

kekaXgch.jpg

Missed opportunity to put a vintage web sling on it for the pic. I thought perhaps the butt stock was some sort of commercial replacement and made out of beech, but one of the collector gurus on another site was pretty sure it's a Winchester stock that had been sanded down at some point. Cleaned up the grunge on the hand guards and stripped & steamed dings out of the stock + guards. Now the wood is all more closely matched and I can see that the butt stock is indeed walnut. I'll dye it to match if necessary before some BLO for all the wood. Should be plenty cold again before it's ready for another range trip.

I think for fabulous prizes 2021/22 I'll send the winner a $75 Brownells gift card and throw in a surplus bandoleer + NOS enblocs for M1 rifles. One entry per rules compliant target (or CMP scorecard) posted, winner selected via random drawing. Top scores for bragging rights, which of course on NES are priceless.
What exactly is a "Tractor Gun" ? Is that some type of unique M1 variant ? I LOVE the bayo !

So do we have to wait for Dec 21 for Winter Solstice to begin or is it game on now that there's snow on the ground?

So do we have to wait for Dec 21 for Winter Solstice to begin or is it game on now that there's snow on the ground?
Game on! Snow on the ground and/or temp below freezing. If there's a pile of snow somewhere at your range and it's 50 degrees, still OK. Likewise, no snow but 32 it's OK.

Might have to shoot my Remington 513T (22LR) due to a noggin surgery not healing well. Though produced for years thereafter, Uncle Sam issued these in the 40's for training. Perfect trainers for grunts as the triggers F-ing suck!

Game on! Snow on the ground and/or temp below freezing. If there's a pile of snow somewhere at your range and it's 50 degrees, still OK. Likewise, no snow but 32 it's OK.

Might have to shoot my Remington 513T (22LR) due to a noggin surgery not healing well. Though produced for years thereafter, Uncle Sam issued these in the 40's for training. Perfect trainers for grunts as the triggers F-ing suck!
I've bid on many 513Ts, never won one, though.

I know it's rifles only this year, but I'm gonna do a target with my relatively recently acquired Webley, you can't stop me!

My Dad passed on to me a family heirloom that I have yet to shoot. It's a Winchester 1885 Low Wall rifle in 22 Short. The story is that it was an Army training rifle that one of my Great Uncles "acquired" from a training range when he was in the Army. It was handed down to my Dad and then onto me. I may have to dust it off and give it a try this winter. Though I have doubts that 22 Short will reach 100 yards, but we'll see.

oOaMXfd.jpg

My Dad passed on to me a family heirloom that I have yet to shoot. It's a Winchester 1885 Low Wall rifle in 22 Short. The story is that it was an Army training rifle that one of my Great Uncles "acquired" from a training range when he was in the Army. It was handed down to my Dad and then onto me. I may have to dust it off and give it a try this winter. Though I have doubts that 22 Short will reach 100 yards, but we'll see.

oOaMXfd.jpg

22 shorts will reach, 29 grain bullets 1000fps+ usually
I have some CCI 22s target somewhere and IIRC its rated at 900 fps out of a 24” barrel
I shot a lot of 22s out of my glenfield 25 at 50 yards. My little tag on my sling swivel says 14 minutes to get to 100 yards.
Wind will toss the 22s around.
Im not sure if you can find the 22s 1150 fps stuff ?

Last edited:
Made in Evansville, Indiana! It’s a lovely part of the state and I’m heading that way this coming weekend, I think?
Yep! First job was in industrial sales and I spent a lot of time just across the river in Kentucky doing business with Alcoa, Delta Faucet, and GE Aircraft Engines. Did a little prospecting at the Whirlpool plant in Evansville and didn't have much trouble getting appointments because my great aunt was the corporate controller LOL. Not much potential for me at that plant but it did give the the chance to visit where our IHC Garands were made- Whirlpool bought it from International Harvester.

In the spirit of the 22 cal discussions and the fact that the inside of my head is still healing (no large cal!) I'm going to post a target with this bad boy:

891883_110830891883_is

AR7 Air Force survival rifle. If I actually hit the target I'm gonna celebrate with typical Air Force grub- filet mignon, lobster, some nice caviar with capers and lemon...

One of the things I'm looking forward to once I leave the PRM is to give the AR7 a permanent home in the truck.

Bump.

What the hell? Freeing rain- the weather I hate more than anything. If I settle in NH, I think I'll look north of the Notch!

To add some rainy day cheer, in the 'fabulous prize' pot I am adding 300 CCI primers- 200 SRP's and 100 LRP's.
WTF! I might have to NOT disqualify myself this time.
Im hoping for a little accumulation over night to run the 308 M1

WTF! I might have to NOT disqualify myself this time.
Im hoping for a little accumulation over night to run the 308 M1
Well, the only one technically DQ'd is me. Every target submitted is an entry into the drawing, unless of course there's a smartass who puts one shot each on 10 targets or something like that. I'll talk some smack and hopefully post some good targets.

Back
Top Bottom