Winter "warm up" outing.

Andy in NH

NES Life Member
NES Member
Took a buddy out for a short overnighter in preparation for a four day / three night camp out next weekend.

He'd never camped in cold weather before and wanted to get some experience before staying out longer.

We didn't have a bunch of time so it was a really short trip; we stepped off at 3:30pm and we were back just before 8:00am.

It took us about twenty minutes to hike in on the snow machine trail, so I estimate we walked in about a mile.

Near the beginning of the trek we came to a small stream crossing. Dragging my pulk across the open water was not the best choice - more on that later.

After getting to the campsite, we used snow shoes to pack down the area for setting up the tipi (difficult to see in the background).

I'm glad we didn't have to dig down as I had forgot to pack my shovel. (note to self)

Then we dumped the gear out of my pulk and walked back to the start of the trail to pick up some firewood.

Letting some time elapse after packing the snow down and before setting the shelter up allows the snow to "set-in" and firm up a little bit.

In this case it would be about 3/4 of an hour.

I had pre-split a load of wood a few days before to save time and we got some miles in on the snowshoes going back and forth to get it.

The majority of the trail was packed down by snow machines, but there was a short section that we had to break trail on.

It wasn't difficult - there was only about 4" of fresh snow and even walking in just boots I didn't worry about getting snow in them - even so, I still had my gaiters with me.

My buddy ended up dragging the wood back and commented that it seemed like the pulk didn't slide well.

Initially I thought that his lack of experience was the cause of his comment, but after a little investigation discovered this:

After three trips across the small stream, ice had caked up on the bottom of the pulk - and it wasn't smooth - greatly increasing the drag.

At the time of our movement the temps in the area were around 12*F so the water picked up some loose snow and froze to the bottom of the pulk.

The pics above were taken after I had beat some of it loose - greatly improving the sliding properties of the pulk.

Next time we'll take the time to carry the pulk across any open water.

Under the 4" of fresh snow there was probably another 4" hard packed older snow, so setting up the tipi with snow stakes was no problem.

I tapped the snow stakes in just to seat them with my axe. I need to make a PVC axe sheath like this one to reduce the chance of an accident or cutting something I don't intent to.

After erecting the shelter it was time to get the stove set up and cook some chow. We had judged the time almost perfectly - just as we retired to the shelter it was starting to get dark.

Time to get the lights up. I rarely store batteries in the devices in case they leak, but occasionally forget.

In this case I was glad I had removed the batteries from my "UFO lights" (some people call them "puck" lights), but disappointed that I failed to check them before heading out. (note to self)

The batteries for my headlamp were still good to go and I had several "pinch lights", a Quark Pro QP2A and a Klarus XT2C in reserve.

After getting the stove set up it was time to show my buddy what a collapsible stove can do. So I ran it wide open and got it red hot with zero damage to the stove jack.

It does not normally get run this way as it consumes a lot of wood quickly.

After that demonstration, it was time to cook some chow and give him some ideas on cooking with the stove.

I stir fried some shrimp and mixed vegetables in olive oil and he heated up some beans and rice on his white gas stove.

He had too much heat on his pan and ended up burning some of his food. He switched over to the wood stove and was able to heat up his meal more uniformly and with a little more control.

I added a little bit of Sriracha hot sauce to my meal and chowed down!

While we were eating, there were other bivouac routine chores to do - mainly melting snow to restock our water supply.

The container I scored this summer works well for digging up snow and melting it on the stove.

It even works well when using a pot lid to refill a water bottle.

The reported temperature got down to just below 0*F, but we both had the MSS for sleeping bags so it was no big deal.

Here is my MSS (bivy, black bag and poncho liner) inside my new Kifaru 5-string stuff sack.

The MSS compresses horribly (and is heavy to boot), but the Kifaru stuff sack shapes it into more of a cylinder shape than the USGI stuff sack, which is more like a ball.

I've found the cylinder shape reduces the amount of "void space" inside a pack (or pulk) when packing gear.

We both slept really well and after getting up and lighting the stove to take off the chill, we proceeded to prepare breakfast.

I had used too much olive oil the night before and was out (note to self), so we cooked some bacon to get some grease (and besides - it's bacon) for the morning meal.

I chose to dice up some summer sausage and then sauté it with some peppers & onions and then dumped some scrambled eggs on it.

My buddy wanted to try some boil in a bag eggs.

When my concoction was almost ready, I placed a tortilla over it to heat it up.

My buddy had decided that he needed to use a deeper pan to cook his eggs, but as he was transferring his bag to my Primus cook pot, the zip lock bag made contact with the stove pipe.

Needless to say a small mess ensued and he lost most of his meal. (Note to him)

But no problem - there was plenty to go around.

After packing up we took a quick picture before heading back.

My buddy enjoyed is his time outside in the cold / snow and is looking forward to the longer trip.

There was another stream of less consequence to cross along the way.

The blue tote strapped to the pulk is the (now empty) container we used to haul in some wood.

All in all a good trip. We both made a few mistakes, but no one got hurt and we didn't damage any gear. All lessons we can apply to future trips.

Last edited:
That sounds like an awesome time. If you've ever xc skied before you'll understand that stream crossings make for unusable skis. Snowshoes aren't much better.

I'm sure others can chime in, but I've been thinking about getting a dehydrator to make camp food. If you can dehydrate scrambled eggs your buddy wouldn't have to worry about losing his to the stove pipe. Just a thought for possible improvements.

I love that tipi and camp stove you use. I've only camped in the winter once and we stayed in a lean-to. I'm currently planning on going again in a couple weeks and we'll be staying in another lean-to on the AT. The shelters are nice to keep the snow off of you, but there's zero warmth and depending on wind direction you could get snowed on. At first I thought those tipis would be absurdly heavy but I see they've only got one pole, so they look much lighter than I expected. That's good food for thought.

Cool story! As always, very thoughtful and informative!
Reminded me a little of BogHogs winter campout trip - which was also a great experience.

Wishing you well on your rambles!...and looking forward to more stories
:)

ETA: Good tip on the MSS sack. The original is kinda clunky.

I meant to comment on (add to) your MSS observations...

My 62L bag just would not fit the whole system so I had to leave the patrol bag at home. Compared to my more modern 0 degree bag, the cold weather bag is way heavier. The lesson I learned is to use the MSS when I don't have to carry it or when I can get away with just the patrol bag. For my next trip I'll be using my synthetic 0 degree bag with the MSS bivy sack (for waterproofness).

Also, be careful with covering your face with the bivy; it traps moisture in the bag and makes you cold later on in the night. I wished I had a balaclava to keep my face warm(er) without having to cover it with the bivy.

Again, awesome write-up. I love that stove you have.

Great write up, thanks for sharing. I love informative posts like this with pictures to go along. You learn a lot and get some good ideas too.

How well does that collapsible stove heat the tent?

With the right kind of wood (I use dry standing hardwood when ever possible) a person can sit in the tipi in a tee shirt when the outside temp is in the single digits.

I love informative posts like this with pictures to go along. You learn a lot and get some good ideas too.

No doubt. There use to be others who would post really good trip reports from time to time that I enjoyed. I've tried to emulate them.

Great write-up.

One question: you have a snow floor in your tipi - do you get much meltage? Does the stove sink down as it heats up?

In some of the photos you can see an aluminum sheet under the stove. It's called a "snow platform" and serves a few functions;

#1 - It protects the area directly under the stove from radiant heat which would otherwise melt the snow away causing the stove to settle and disrupting the stovepipe as it passes through the stove jack.

#2 - It supports the legs of the stove to keep them from pushing through the snow.

#3- It supports the center pole of the tipi to keep it from sinking in the snow.

#4- It acts a shelf to keep food warm or dry out wood.

However, the areas to the side of the stove do melt away after some time.

After a few days it is necessary to bring in some snow and fill up the void created by the radiant heat.

The stove gets taken outside everyday to have the ashes emptied and this is the time we fill in the hole if/when necessary.

I will try and take some pictures of the process this weekend.

Thanks

Another question, if you don't mind - if you're going to be in a spot for more than overnight, will you dig to the ground, or keep the snow inside? I'd think that the ground would be better....

It depends...

If the snow is shallow to begin with, we might scrape it away to earth and use traditional tent pegs to secure the tipi.

If the snow is deep enough, we will just pack it down, let it set up and then use aluminum SST pins (Snow, Sand, Tundra). We then go around and cover the edges with snow to keep the wind out.

If the snow is really deep, we will dig down a little bit, but still leave a snow floor. Digging down help keep the profile of the tipi low in high wind conditions.

Great write up! We are camping next week with Scouts, should be nice and cold as hell.

Back
Top Bottom