Winter Project Angst.. mep 016a

I'm just wondering how many of us take on projects and I don't mean just firearm related. Most of my projects come and go but thankfully reloading stuck.The "current" venture is not looking good.I know a little about engine and nothing about generators but l decided to pursue a military generator to rework. I was lucky to look on Craigslist and up popped a mep 016a four cylinder 3000 (3k) for $200.00. O called the guy and he Said it was not in the free section.!!! I motored one town over and the nice gentleman started with one pull and said for some reason it wasn't generating power.
I got it home. I have the manual and a kick as screaming 4 cylinder engine. I start in up every now and then and wonder what the *÷£×? Was I thinking
I'm afraid I have an anchor and am going to have to find something else to get me through winter. I'm sure most of you watch late night TV but if I sit down after work I'm toast. So if anyone have a cool project idea share it will you. Something that doesn't require a great deal of money or brains would be good. Well I covered the two night melting range lead on a forge a built with a brake drum and a hair dryer that sits on a granite stand I cut and split with feathers and wedges. Well look at that! It's 2:00 AM. Time fore project bedtime. Anyone have the franchise for can collecting in my area? TY

If the engine module works you can probably sell that for decent money. There are some forums where you might get some help troubleshooting the generator.

The windings get de-magnetized after a long time. Make a jumper, plug it into a generator outlet and spark it on a 12 v battery. Be careful. Jack.

Absolutely, definitely worth doing! My MEP-002A can be flashed from the control panel. Here is a article on flashing .mil gensets. NOTE: In this article the picture of the wiring gizmo to flash the genny is wrong, and the correction is in the text below the picture.

http://greenmountaingenerators.com/re-energizing-dead-generators/

Here are some other articles on troubleshooting generators.
http://greenmountaingenerators.com/category/support-and-troubleshooting/

Last edited:
Thanks guys. The guy I got it from did tell me he energized the coils and that wasn't the problem. I took the Gen off and the "flywheel was a little chewed up. The motor starts in a pull or two. I thought being military surplus that parts would be plentiful and cheap. I was only right on the plentiful cause they are not cheap. I did try trouble shooting it on the green mountain forum with no luck.
So I have a screaming engine and some serious weight in pope coil.
I would get rid of the whole thing if I knew what it was worth and use the money for another project. Maybe a project military surplus rifle like a SKS or maybe a mosin that good grades. I really don't mind it sitting there but it would make a good project for someone who knew what just enough to make sure it was grounded. That was the one piece of good info the guy I got it from gave me. Right about now I wish it was a snowblower. Thanks for the input my friends.

Back
Top Bottom