Winter Extras Kept in Your Vehicle

I've updated my load every year ever since these types of threads appear. Below is my list as of 2019

Clothing
Four pairs of gloves - Wife, me and kids
Two pairs of jackets - light and Carhart
Extra pants
Back up boots
Two winter hats
Ski goggles

Safety
First aid kit
Jumpers
Battery pack
Windshield washer fluid
Basic tools
Extra set of headlight bulbs
Harbor Freight moving blanket X2
Glow sticks
Flares

Food
Water bottles
Trail mix
Jerky
Peanut butter crackers
Snickers - when the wife isn't acting herself

Pew Pew
SBR with 8 mags
229 with 5 mags
Mechanic gloves
Harness
Ears

I've updated my load every year ever since these types of threads appear. Below is my list as of 2019

Clothing
Four pairs of gloves - Wife, me and kids
Two pairs of jackets - light and Carhart
Extra pants
Back up boots
Two winter hats
Ski goggles

Safety
First aid kit
Jumpers
Battery pack
Windshield washer fluid
Basic tools
Extra set of headlight bulbs
Harbor Freight moving blanket X2
Glow sticks
Flares

Food
Water bottles
Trail mix
Jerky
Peanut butter crackers
Snickers - when the wife isn't acting herself

Pew Pew
SBR with 8 mags
229 with 5 mags
Mechanic gloves
Harness
Ears
You need a bigger truck. Jack.

Can the flimsy water bottles, like Poland Spring .5L size , hold up to multiple freeze-thaw cycles?

For the most part, yes.

That being said, I usually go with Gatorade for in-car cold weather storage (if anything, usually I keep that sort of stuff in my backpack that goes with me), because it freezes at a lower temperature. YMMV.

iu

I’ll play, this is my winter loadout

8 bottles of water
An empty 100 oz camelback
An E tool
100 yards or climbing rope with 4 carabiners
2 goretex parka 1 with north face Denali insert
4 pairs of glove
Trigger mittens with inserts
A watchcap
Ski googles
Baofeng Uv5
Hh GPS
2 large trashbags
2 blankets, wool and poncho liner
Air compressor
2 knives and a multi tool
300 yards of paracord
A military rubber poncho

And a camelback backpack with:
Materhorn Go Devil boots
3 pair of Sox. 2 wool 1 cotton
A t shirt
A thermal shirt
A flannel shirt
1 pair of jeans
1 pair of goretex over pants
2 pair of undies
1 set of snow camo overwear, parka and pants
2 face wraps, scarf and keffiyeh
10 emergency blankets
20 hand warmers
Emergency strobe light
2 flash lights
200 strike anywhere waterproof matches
A medicine bottle with Cotton balls in vaseline
A quart baggies of steel wool
2 9 volt batteries.
2 bags of beef jerky
An MRE

I have seen roads close and people get stuck in their cars. Me, I plan so God Forbid, I ever have to leave my vehicle for what ever. I travel a fair bit throughout the North East and to the mid Atlantic alone for work. As such, no guns.

Last edited:
I’ll play, this is my winter loadout

8 bottles of water
An empty 100 oz camelback
An E tool
100 yards or climbing rope with 4 carabiners
2 goretex parka 1 with north face Denali insert
4 pairs of glove
Trigger mittens with inserts
A watchcap
Ski googles
Baofeng Uv5
Hh GPS
2 large trashbags
2 blankets, wool and poncho liner
Air compressor
2 knives and a multi tool
300 yards of paracord
A military rubber poncho

And a camelback backpack with:
Materhorn Go Devil boots
3 pair of Sox. 2 wool 1 cotton
A t shirt
A thermal shirt
A flannel shirt
1 pair of jeans
1 pair of goretex over pants
2 pair of undies
1 set of snow camo overwear, parka and pants
2 face wraps, scarf and keffiyeh
10 emergency blankets
20 hand warmers
Emergency strobe light
2 flash lights
200 strike anywhere waterproof matches
A medicine bottle with Cotton balls in vaseline
A quart baggies of steel wool
2 9 volt batteries.
2 bags of beef jerky
An MRE

I have seen roads close and people get stuck in their cars. Me, I plan so God Forbid, I ever have to leave my vehicle for what ever. I travel a fair bit throughout the North East and to the mid Atlantic alone for work. As such, no guns.
holy shit! i'm impressed, you tote a trailer behind the vehicle? i throw a sweatshirt in the back of the truck and i figure i'm good to go. maybe i should rethink this...... o_O

holy shit! i'm impressed, you tote a trailer behind the vehicle? i throw a sweatshirt in the back of the truck and i figure i'm good to go. maybe i should rethink this...... o_O

Lol. I have a Sequoia and there are many little storage spots. I also forgot to mention 2 sets of Binos.

I had to look it up:

"Worn in mostly arid regions, the keffiyeh was traditionally used to protect people from sunburn, dust and sand."

Not quite sure what that might have to do with Winter in New England.

I had to look it up:

"Worn in mostly arid regions, the keffiyeh was traditionally used to protect people from sunburn, dust and sand."

Not quite sure what that might have to do with Winter in New England.
Or blowing snow. It is thick enough to wrap around my face a few times or tuck into my jacket. Also, packs up pretty small. I could also tie something off or use it as a triangular bandage in a pinch.

Finally, wrapped loosely like a scarf and and worn around my neck gets me into hipster bars and coffee joints.

I do change out my summer load for my winter load out but this stays in year round.

Headlamp, jumper cables, assortment of hand tools, a lighter and a knife, recovery strap, extra pair of gloves, high viz vest, flare. All stuff that stays in my vehicle. Basic stuff

Just ordered a medical kit.

i throw a sweatshirt in the back of the truck and i figure i'm good to go. maybe i should rethink this...... o_O

When I had to wear a suit and tie I always had a full change of clothes in the car including an older but completely functional pair of boots. Now I worry less about some things as I am more likely to be dressed for the weather rather than the office. I always keep extra gloves as they disappear and family/passengers may need a pair if we need to get out to push etc. I have the Frogg Toggs rain suit in there year round and add an extra milsurp goretex coat for winter.

Amusingly, the new boots I bought over the summer are in the office as I was breaking them in there and did not take them home before I left for Thanksgiving week. So I am glad I did not throw out the old boots that they replace yet.

Some great suggestions here. I can only add that a spare set of windshield wiper blades are in my kit. Since I change my blades once every year, I put the old pair in my emergency bag.

When I had to wear a suit and tie I always had a full change of clothes in the car including an older but completely functional pair of boots. Now I worry less about some things as I am more likely to be dressed for the weather rather than the office. I always keep extra gloves as they disappear and family/passengers may need a pair if we need to get out to push etc. I have the Frogg Toggs rain suit in there year round and add an extra milsurp goretex coat for winter.

Amusingly, the new boots I bought over the summer are in the office as I was breaking them in there and did not take them home before I left for Thanksgiving week. So I am glad I did not throw out the old boots that they replace yet.
I keep a spare shirt in a ziplock in my truck, for when I get an emergency call from a customer while on a bike ride, cuz stinky. And have been told that in no uncertain terms by said customers. [grin]

View: https://youtu.be/3B2f9MkfRik

(Okay, so that's actually steam coming off my armor and helmet, but it could just as well be stink fumes.)

All year round:
Lunchbox size cooler of water bottles, Breakfast bars in the glove box, Tow strap, Come-a-long, Bow saw, Axe, Muck boots, Jumper cables, Tool kit, First Aid kit, Fire Extinguisher
Winter:
As above, plus Shovel, spare wiper blade, extra gloves, insulated coveralls, extra winter jacket, and a Sleeping bag

What's a good car shovel? I have used one of the alummy plastic extendable deals and it broke when I needed it, and also cut my hand when it broke.

FYI, if you have the space, a friend who works SAR recommends keeping something to help get you out if your vehicle winds up high-centered on snow. A narrow, long-handled shovel, a cut-down garden hoe, or something else that can reach halfway across and pull out compacted snow.
That's the only way I've ever gotten stuck up here. I t is hard digging out with just a snow shovel.

FYI, if you have the space, a friend who works SAR recommends keeping something to help get you out if your vehicle winds up high-centered on snow. A narrow, long-handled shovel, a cut-down garden hoe, or something else that can reach halfway across and pull out compacted snow.
I hadn't really thought about it before, but I guess it's a Good Thing my trail tools (Rogue hoe - the big one - and their Pulaski, and a McLeod) have a permanent residence in my truck (along with the bikes).

20180806_183604.jpg

Last edited:
Well, for me it rotates. But shovel, wrenches, battery charger, jumper cables, pump, binos, gloves, hat, extra coat and bungie are always in there. Right now I also have an ice chisel (full length), two shiner traps and bait bucket. Little over a month ago it was my deer sled :)

Edit: I own a Sequoia so there is actually a lot more stuff in there..............I just can't remember.

Back
Top Bottom