Winter Extras Kept in Your Vehicle

EC1

NES Member
aside from the everyday stuff I carry in my vehicle (first aid kid, clotting powder, cord/rope, shovel, jumper cables, space blankets, flash light, and so on) what do people add to their vehicle specifically for the winter?

Scraper, brush, winter windshield fluid (just topped off with this). Once winter sets in, a closed coffee can or two with sand/salt mix. If heading out in a storm, a shovel.

Gloves, winter hat, windbreaker (with hood), cheap ponchos, backup battery banks (Amper, Jackery), folding knife, wool blanket, few granola bars & honey packets. Depending on the time of year, sometimes a folding bike

Tow straps and 4 ton hand winch/come-along. I enjoy winter outdoor activities and have gotten stuck in soft snow or icy slopes where no amount of salt/sand would help.

snow brush is all i can think of really. everything else has its place and is just always there.

Extra sets of warm outerwear. A full change of clothes, wool socks, fleece blanket. I work construction so I often need a dry set of stuff during the workday.
Cliff bars. Tow straps and a come-along. I have a pickup with a tool box so I have room for extra stuff.

Pretty much all year, an AK with 8 loaded mags, two extra loaded pistol mags, several bottled waters, leather work gloves, first aid kit, 12ft 5/16 galvanized chain with 3/8 hooks on each end, two baofeng portables, pointed long handled spade shovel, diesel fuel additive, oil, couple of large cribbing blocks, fire extinguisher, large piece of cardboard( poor man's creeper), an 8x10 tarp, extra socks, jacket, watch cap/ ball cap, jumper cables, usually some type of food bars, phone charger, small assorted tool box, test light.
If pending a storm I'll throw in a chainsaw, small gas can mix, bar oil.

Small shovel, gortex jacket and pants, pair of boots, hat and gloves.

Those are the winter specific things but I actually have them in my car year round on top of my other stuff (water, first aid kit, flashlight and headlamp, MRE, change of clothes, water bottle, tarp, road flares and jumper cables, and probably some other stuff I’m forgetting.

Extra cold weather gear, as well as a cold weather sleeping bag (just in case). I once got stranded on a highway overnight in AZ due to a freak snowstorm. They obviously had no snow removal equipment. They just shut down the whole highway for the night.

Snoooooo Shoooooozzzzzz

20181118_112400-jpg.255186

Extra coat, extra gloves, extra hat.

Also a go bag with emergency everything, including food (in case stranded).

18" electric chain saw with fully charged battery + extra bat.

Ham radios, CB, emergency lights, ice chipper, dirt shovel, snow shovel, ice crampons, first aid trauma kit, extra phone battery chargers, lock de-icer, 2 snow brushes with scrapers, tarps, led lights, flashlights, water, rope, Hammers, crow bars, high-vis coat, vest & hat, etc., etc. Etc.

(full disclosure: I have more room for crap than the average driver. the above is jammed into a quad cab 4x4 pickup with 8' bed, and oversized bed tool box)

You guys all live out in the boonies? I can see the chains if going on a ski trip, or if I live in Northern New England or the Bezerkshires.

Extra sets of warm outerwear. A full change of clothes, wool socks, fleece blanket. I work construction so I often need a dry set of stuff during the workday.
Cliff bars. Tow straps and a come-along. I have a pickup with a tool box so I have room for extra stuff.
Is it snowing where you are yet? (Where ARE you?)

aside from the everyday stuff I carry in my vehicle (first aid kid, clotting powder, cord/rope, shovel, jumper cables, space blankets, flash light, and so on) what do people add to their vehicle specifically for the winter?

Telescopic snow broom (doesn't scratch the paint) For me and my gf, I keep gloves and hats, and some extra snacks. I keep a proper snow shovel with few of bags of sand in the back of my truck. Mostly use it to help friends and family clean out if I stop by during/after a storm, comes in handy if you get stuck too. I have first aid/emergency survival/ tow/recovery equipment year around. Now that I have a daughter I also keep a few emergency/backup things in the truck under the back seat below her car seat specific to taking care of her if we got stranded or had a hypothermia type emergency like she fell in water in freezing conditions. Couple spare sets of warm clothes, socks, small fleece blanket, some packets of hot hands, etc.

You guys all live out in the boonies? I can see the chains if going on a ski trip, or if I live in Northern New England or the Bezerkshires.

Is it snowing where you are yet? (Where ARE you?)
In the Bezerkershires. It snowed last night but just a dusting. The ground is frozen. 1573224647191658546033.jpg
The view from my job site. 26° with a 40mph breeze.
That's Catamount Ski area in the distance

Back
Top Bottom