• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Winter CCW

With all this snowy weather and bundling up, curious how other ppl address concealed carry? With all the layering, it can make accessing your weapon a bit more difficult and slowing your reaction time. With oversized coats covering pants and wearing gloves, it sure makes it cumbersome.

I tried carrying in my coat pocket but have concerns when in public if I may have to take off my coat. I'd like to hear how other people deal with this in the winter.

I still carry IWB.

I find the easiest way to get to my weapon is to wear a sweater or sweater vest covering the gun and an uninsulated shell over that. That way the shell can come off indoors without uncovering the weapon.

By wearing a loose fitting shell, it is relatively easy for me to use the same motion I use in the summer when wearing a loose fitting shirt to conceal. It may take two hands to lift up both garments but practice practice practice.

When it comes to gloves, I try to wear the thinnest ones I can endure. But when bulkier gloves have to be worn, just shed the glove off the dominant hand.

I don't have to worry about getting in trouble if someone see the firearm in NH so in this weather I carry OWB at 3 o'clock and just wear my coat over it.

turn your heat down in the house and get used to the cold. You won't need the gloves and all the layers and will even save fuel. Then spend more time outside and get your body use to it.

If and when the cold weather gets here, you will be ready. Right now, it is still shirt sleeve and sweatshirt weather.

turn your heat down in the house and get used to the cold. You won't need the gloves and all the layers and will even save fuel. Then spend more time outside and get your body use to it.

If and when the cold weather gets here, you will be ready. Right now, it is still shirt sleeve and sweatshirt weather.

I agree! I think I save like $700 a year in gas because I keep the heat at 54-59F 90% of the time.

My first winter in my house (2004) I had two $300+/month gas bills. Since lowering the heat I've never been over 150...and the price of gas has shot up too!

"F***" that, I'm not living at 59 degrees. It's only money, and I'm going to be comfortable. I guess you have to pick your priorities and how you want to live. Me, I like a nice steady 70 in the house.

I've been using a Galco Miami Vice shoulder rig, very comfortable if I'll be seated for any length of time. I also use a Desantis mini slide or Mini scabbard OWB under a big loose shirt.

I just ordered a couple of Tucker coverup+ IWB's (One for me & one for the Mrs.) after reading up on IWB's .

Should be here about May. [rolleyes]
Every premium holster maker has a backlog of about four to five months.

Yeesh. Well good things come to those who wait. [grin]

Every premium holster maker has a backlog of about four to five months.

Yeesh. Well good things come to those who wait. [grin]
Except that Comp-Tac can deliver inside of two weeks.

Now that they have branched out into leather/kydex hybrids, the only downside to them is the limited number of guns they service compared to most of the leather guys.

The only reason I have leather IWB tuckable holster from K&D Holsters on schedule for a January delivery (ordered first week of October) is because Comp-tac makes no holsters for Smith & Wesson K frames and third generation autos. But if you have an M&P, a J frame, or an N frame, you are golden with top shelf quality inside of two weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Except that Comp-Tac can deliver inside of two weeks.

Yeah, I thought long & hard on them. I just don't think I'd like the Kydex. It has the advantage of not smooshing after drawing but I think it'd pinch ot just be plain old un-comfortable.

I know the guys who use them might disagree. [thinking] Then again I'm a bit of a traditionalist and wanted to go with leather.

Yeah, I thought long & hard on them. I just don't think I'd like the Kydex. It has the advantage of not smooshing after drawing but I think it'd pinch ot just be plain old un-comfortable.

I know the guys who use them might disagree. [thinking] Then again I'm a bit of a traditionalist and wanted to go with leather.
If you buy a Comp-Tac holster and don't like it, you can easily get your money back from them or from selling it on any one of gun or ccw forums around.

Also, look at their Minotaur line, best of both worlds.

I go through this each year and here is what I do, hope it helps. Mind you ths is all dependent on my style of dress for the day, and having a variety of holsters helps.

I still try to carry in IWB as much a possible and that works best with pull over sweaters of the non-woven/knit variety. I can still easily thumb up over the belt, under the sweater for a fast draw. I do this for my pullover jacket or a short coat.

For longer coats and knit sweaters I carry OWB and tuck the sweater behind the gun. This way when the jacket/coat is on I literary just swing my coat back to draw. If I have to take the coat off I pull the sweater up and let it drop and no one is the wiser.

An extra plus are paddle holsters, its technically another OWB but for winter carry its perfect for going in and out and quick removal as needed. More so when you cant decide what to wear. Slip it on, slip it off.

I've been using a similar tactic as clintonus. IWB under sweater and short jacket, works well for most winter weather. For colder days and longer coats, it's OWB. For that, I use the Beltster, a slide holster built into a belt. Take off the carry piece for home or office, and it's just a belt. No holster dangling at my belt, no paddle to fiddle with later. I had mine made with a cross-draw slide built in as well, which allows me to shift the heat from behind the hip to cross-draw for driving. So far, it's my favorite OWB holster.

One further thought: if anyone is considering ordering the Beltster, order larger than you might think. Normally, if your waist is, say 34, you'd buy a 36 belt. For the Beltster, order 38. He doesn't make that clear on the website, which is http://www.banderagunleather.com/.

Last edited:
I carry in my thong year round....that way I don't really need to adjust anything for summertime carry.

Silly me, I don't change a thing for different weather. I just make sure that the clothes I buy, will accommodate my lifestyle, and I practice!

One thing that has not been mentioned but makes an extremely effective fall/winter/spring concealment method is the good ol sportcoat.

I have four, one a blue blazer, one in wool herringbone, one in wool houndstooth, and one in wool gabardine. All except the herringbone are cool enough to wear up to the 60s or low 70s with an appropriate shirt underneath. All will allow you to shed an outer parka and still stay 100% concealed. All allow lightning fast access to the gun through the open front. All look eminently presentable over jeans and khakis as well as over worsted wool trousers. NONE scream gun.

We just got back from the urgent care clinic because our daughter's fever. I was wearing a tartan plaid shirt and jeans when I came in from work. I quickly holstered up the j frame, tossed a speedloader in my right front pants pocket, and threw a grey herringbone sportcoat over it all. Instant cover garment that allowed me to conceal without worry in the clinic's NPE.

I will be buying more later on, focusing on some lightweight ones for summer wear as well.

I guess the old time dicks knew a thing or two about coats and concealment.

Back
Top Bottom