• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Winners of high-profile smart gun design challenge are afraid to come out publicly

s4mt3k

NES Member
http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/11/6136219/the-first-winner-in-the-1-million-smart-gun-tech-challenge

Design challenges are common in Silicon Valley. Tackling heated political issues is not.

Some recipients of a high-profile contest for "smart gun" designs are refusing to allow themselves to be announced publicly, The Verge has learned, for fear of a backlash from gun rights activists.

A smart gun is a computer-enhanced weapon that authenticates users before allowing them to shoot. Smart guns may rely on biometric data such as a fingerprint, voice print, or the unique way the user grips the gun. They can also require a password or the proximity of another device, such as a wristband.

Proponents say implementing this technology will decrease gun violence, especially of the type that involves children getting ahold of their parents' guns.

One of the companies I recently worked for has a voice recognition process to be used whenever you need a password reset. After calling the number, you repeat a phrase to the computer on the other end of the line and it will reset for you. There are supposed to be no humans involved (other than the caller of course). It has never worked for me - ever. I always get transferred to the fallback, which is the old process of talking with a person.

Biometrics have come a long way. But not all the way...

I wonder how many of these "smart gun makers" receiving grants actually have a FFL to manufacturer firearms?

I'm guessing this one does not:

The Smart Tech Challenges Foundation was thrilled today to help shine a spotlight on 17-year-old Kai Kloepfer, the first of many featured innovators to be publicly recognized for innovation in the firearms safety space. We are proud to support our grantees as they make strides in improving the reliability of their technologies. We look forward to introducing you to these innovators, both in the media and on our website at www.smarttechfoundation.org, throughout the duration of the Smart Tech for Firearms Challenge, and beyond.

I wonder how many of these "smart gun makers" receiving grants actually have a FFL to manufacturer firearms?

You don't need an FFL to make a gun unless you're crossing the profit motive boundary. Unless BATFE can prove that a research grant triggers, this, its doubtful he comes under scrutiny. Now the moment he goes about "offering it for sale" etc then the rules change, although depending on how he does it he could still get around that, too. (Say if he's selling the IP and not an actual product. )

I can also think of 900 ways that someone could develop that tech without having the "test model" even be something that operates as a Title 1 firearm.

-Mike

I can't wait to get my smart gun.

Then I can leave it on my nightstand, coffee table, behind the toilet, sh*t I could leave it on the dash in my car!

All guns, when not in use, with the exception of primitive firearms, must be stored or kept “secured in a locked container or equipped with a tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other safety device,” to prevent unauthorized use. Penalties are assessed even if no underage person obtains access.
(Chapter 140, section 131L)

You don't need an FFL to make a gun unless you're crossing the profit motive boundary. Unless BATFE can prove that a research grant triggers, this, its doubtful he comes under scrutiny. Now the moment he goes about "offering it for sale" etc then the rules change, although depending on how he does it he could still get around that, too. (Say if he's selling the IP and not an actual product. )

I can also think of 900 ways that someone could develop that tech without having the "test model" even be something that operates as a Title 1 firearm.

-Mike

yeah, that's a good point: the self maker. Still the the 17 year old would run into trouble.

as for making a test model that doesn't fire--that's not really proving much. I can't tell you how many times someone has told me something is "done" but not tested and it failed. more than 900 times--that's for sure. no one questions the technology exists, it's just a mater of practicality and functionality as applied to firearms.

rereading the article though I see this contest is for designs only. I can draw on the back of a cocktail napkin as good as anyone--I missed out of $50k!

as far as I'm concerned, until they get an FFL, they're just blowing smoke

Wait til the first lawsuit for someone getting hurt/robbed/killed because their smart gun wouldn't let them shoot...not only the smart gun maker but the gun control lobbies that want this crap made mandatory should be held liable.

Smart Gun's Speaker: I'm sorry Dave, I will not fire on this criminal because he is turning his life around. You must let him do what he needs to you for his own good.

Back
Top Bottom