WINNER of the Karma for my Collector buddies

I don't deserve it. All I would do with it is bring it to the range and shoot it. I'd also let anybody there who wanted to shoot it try it out. I'd probably never shoot it less than 200 yards. OK I know I'd never shoot it at less than 200 yards because I never shoot anything bigger than a .22 less than 200.

I'm not sure if I'm a member of the Mil Surp collectors group, but I'll throw my name in. I currently do not have a mosin. I acquired my grandfather's Springfield 1903 Mark I and a Jap Type 99 that he brought back from serving in the Pacfic; however I'm in need of a Russian to go with the collection of mil-surp rifles! This Russian would do the trick and be a fun shooter! [smile]

In. Great karma!

I have been steadily collecting mil-surps for the past few years. I started with old semi-auto battle rifles but have been moving on to bolt actions. I do not have a M/N yet, and have been looking out for one for quite some time. I am overwhelmed with the variations, years of production, arsenals etc - in the same way Mausers overwhelm me. Nevertheless, my recent RC K98 has been a hoot to research and learn about. Where its been (or at least where its receiver and stock has been, most parts are mismatched). I have many russian mil surps, my favorite of which is an SVT-40 - probably my favorite gun to shoot of all my guns. I would love to jump into the M/N arena to learn about these great guns and shoot the crap out of it, no doubt it can take it. If won to me, this gun would be appreciated, cared for, and used as it was intended - bruising sholuders and chests on sunny sunday afternoons. ;)

Fred, you are a very generous person. Thank you!

Please consider me... I have a '43 M1 Garand, and I'd eventually like to add other WWII rifles and handguns. I'll make sure that it gets range time, and I'll bring it to NES shoots so many others will have a chance to punch holes in the berm, too.

ETA: I just reviewed Fred's pictures... if I win, Fred, I'd like to spend a few minutes with you going over all of those stamps and insignia so I know what they all mean! Thanks again!

Last edited:
IN please,

I really need another MN as it is my choice of large cal rifle to get new shooters well, a shooting. I can get at least one more shooter on the line if I only had another MN

also i need to pay a babysitter so I can go to the show. If I where to win the karma it would be like getting a free baby sitter.

I'm not In Fred, as I own an M91/30 so let someone else who'd never owned a Mosin win this one. This is an awesome karma though! Just curious, when you said:

Were you referring to the NES "group" that you have to be "allowed" into? I forgot about the groups on here like the one where everyone shares recipes? Did those groups disappear when NES switched to the current format or am I just too stupid to find them? I remember wanting to join the "milsurp collectors" group when I first joined here but no one ever got back to me on it. What gives man?! ;)

I was wondering this too,I wanted to say in but don't want the disappointment of last time lol.

I'll go in. I would use it for the next few years until my son is old enough to appreciate it, then I would use it to teach him (once he can handle the recoil) to shoot and about history. Eventually I would leave it to him when I'm too old or dead to use it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Well Fred, as you know I've been gradually collecting milsurp rifles over the years. I started with a 91/30 DDR and progressed onto an M48, #1 Mk3, K31, M44, K98, mummed T99, and a .41 rimfire Vetterli (which I'm sorry again for sniping off the other board [wink]). The only ones left on the list are a Finned mosin and of course the American varieties. Going to school sucks and I'm going to have to slow down the purchases and dare I say, even maybe sell one or two [shocked], but I've been lucky so far with getting good jobs during school breaks that can fund my expensive taste [laugh2] Thanks for the consideration and may the karma Gods look kindly upon you! [smile]

Why would I want a Mosin?

I currently own two, not including a Hungarian M44, but only one is mine. My son, who is 16, "owns" the other one as soon as he turns 18. I got my C&R after realizing that the rifles I discounted twenty years earlier due to wanting "modern" arms are the way to go. Nothing matches the history one can hold for about $100 as compared to a Mosin. Comparing my 43 Izzy with the 39 Tula shows the difference between a rifle made in the middle of franically defending your invaded homeland and a rifle made before that time. Looking at Finn rifles shows me the ingenuity of a people who should have been overwhelmed ond defeated easliy and how sheer determination can win over impossible odds. Now I want to end up with a non refurb been-there-done-that rifle.

"Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it" goes through my mind every time I grab my Mosin.

Looking at some of the rifles and posts here has shown me the huge differences in rifles that most people would only be able to glance at and see nothing different. My son now sees the same differences and we now share a hobby that is both historical and damn fun when you get out to the range.

Finally, I have two sons, and the younger needs "his own" Mosin too.......

Wow, I can't believe I missed this Karma for so long. Count me in. I've been slowly building up my C&R collection, which currently contains only two very lonely Mosins. They are in desperate need of a new brother or sister to keep them company while they are surrounded by semi friendly (with tension) allied C&Rs and those dreaded enemy mausers.

Great Karma!

Wow, pics are up! Nicely refurbished gun. If you believe the hype from one Gunbroker seller, the "2" on the heel of the buttstock means that it is a Polish issued gun. Right! [grin]

Again, good show Fred. I don't envy your task ahead. There are many deserving potential recipients.

My best friend in NYS has a Mosin and I was very impressed shooting the rifle. I would love to own one and shoot it. It would be like owning a piece of history and wondering what that rifle has seen in its long life.

Last year, I believe you offered another rifle karma to just the C+R crowd. This is very generous of you to open it up to us "starters." Please consider me for this rifle karma.

Thanks,

Bob

Wow, pics are up! Nicely refurbished gun. If you believe the hype from one Gunbroker seller, the "2" on the heel of the buttstock means that it is a Polish issued gun. Right! [grin]

Again, good show Fred. I don't envy your task ahead. There are many deserving potential recipients.

You are correct my friend. The "2" means it was issued to Poland at some point.

It was 1998,I walked into a local gunshop(now closed)to pick up an new knife,I was expecting to pay 100 bucks plus but that wasn't the case and I walked out with a knife and a Yugo referb bp124 M44 for cheap money,never gave it much thought.

Time warp to 2000 I decided to do some research on the M44 and totally fell into C&R and mosins,If it wasn't for the Mosin I may have never picked up the collector bug that I have now,I have no problem with selling common firearms or trades,but I will never sell or trade off my C&R rifles or handguns.I treat all my collection like a rescue league for wayward firearms,one more "lost" or "unwanted" would find a good home with me.

Sorry about the lazy "in" I didn't read your post all the way through.

Last edited:
Well, you all know I'm an Appleseed instructor. And I bring loaner rifles to the range for the Appleseeds I teach at, but there's usually someone who doesn't have a reliable rifle, or brought a friend... I could use this Mosin for a loaner Liberty Training Rifle. It's got a sling, adjustable sights (as long as there's a rock nearby) and the ammo is cheap!

What more could I want in an LTR??

Besides... it's good training; this will be a GREAT rifle to use in ball & dummy drills - guaranteed to teach folks what a flinch looks like!! [rofl] (Yes, I'm cruel that way...)

<snip>
You Mosin types extoll the virtues of a Finn M39 as the best there is. I'd like to see you convince a dedicated Mauser guy.MS

If you ever find yourself in Worcester on a weekend, I'll take you up on that challenge. My two Finns are in the pic in the 2nd post.

55_grain

ETA: The Mauser vs Mosin challenge was accepted by Herr majspud. I'd better go practice!

Not that there's any real downside...If I can prove the superiority of the M39 Mosin Nagant, then sweet. If I can't...than that just means I need to get a Mauser. [grin]

Last edited:
Why a Mosin?
Because in some ways they are like women and other ways they are like a mans best friend.

Like Mans Best friend:
Reliable .
Cheap to feed .
Easy to please.

Like a woman Woman:
She fits like a glove or a long lost friend.
She's been around other men but when shes yours shes only yours.
When she speaks she demands respect.

Also I think surplus rifles are awesome to begin with when you can hold a piece of history and feel the same thing some else did 50-60-100 years ago.

Count me in, I could really use this rifle to help fill a hole in my collection. Ive been looking for a polish marked rifle for a while now.

Edit, nevermind just noticed my green membership expired and I wont be able to renew till next week...

Last edited:
Congratulations to Maninblue1861!

And make sure you give the little girl a cookie, Fred. She did a fantastic job sorting through the many worthy entries.

Back
Top Bottom