1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Windows Server backup

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Chet0729, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Chet0729

Chet0729

Anyone using this tool.
    i have a remote datacenter that i have some nas storage in. I was attempting to backup a domain controler there and it is so slow it is pitiful. Tried to a remote share on another machine and it is just as slow. All this stuff is on the same lan. i just could not believe how slow it is. took 8 hours to backup 21GB

2. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

Not familiar with it... although im looking for some type of tool I can use to cheaply clone a Win2008 server drive over to an enterprise SSD that just came in for a customer... most of the cheap stuff doesn't work because it bitches about it being a server OS, etc. I could use DriveImageXML but I want the option of being able to restore to a larger drive than the original... not to mention DXML often ****s up the boot sector and all that kind of stuff.

-Mike

3. Chet0729

Chet0729

Ghost will work on most servers as long as the raid init is pre bios. it doesnt work from within the OS it is a seperate bootable item. less than 4 megs total size. I have used it several time. It doesn't care about drive size, you can go form large to smaller as long as the used data will fit. Boots from a thumb drive. i have used it with the new machines with the software bios (uefi) and it still seems to function. If you would like to "evaluate" it let me know.

4. jpk

jpk

I assume you're backing up using the built in winders tool eh?

Speed is going to be a product of where the backups are being written to.

If you're backing up a drive to itself the performance will be poor because of the massive amount of i/o (reading and writing to same spindle).

If you're backing up to a tape drive/separate HDD you will likely get best performance with this config

If you're backing up to a share on you're LAN this may be better but its going to be dictated by connectivity btwn the two machines

If you're backing up to a remote share across your WAN....forget it..

5. Chet0729

Chet0729

Ya remote share but I have been doing backups for 30 years and I have never seen anything this slow.

6. blindfire

blindfire NES Member

Server backups are slow anyway. Even with commercial backup software like BackupExec, etc, the disk IO is the bottleneck and putting that over a LAN connection to NAS will introduce even more latency...you have the GigE limitation as well as the disk IO on the NAS device to consider.

If you can do directly connected drives, you'd get the best performance...preferably on a different bus.

7. Chet0729

Chet0729

Its not a network bottle neck. The network utilization is less than 10%. Unfortunately is is in a remote data center so my options are limited as I don't have physical access. Fortunately they are only 25GB drives in the machines and I am only running it once a month. I used to run BackupExec, disk to disk backups, over the lan and got real good through put.
    i am currious now, I am going to test it on my local machine.

8. jpk

jpk

Maybe you have a network issue....pull out wireshark and see if you're seeing a lot of dropped packets and retransmits

If you really want to. look at whats going on with proc mon....and you can see exactly what processes are doing what

9. Chet0729

Chet0729

Did all that, not wireshark, network monitor, basically the same.
    I am really not trying to troubleshoot it as I did get the backups done, I was just currious if anyone else was using it.

10. chopper_man

chopper_man Army Veteran NES Member

What type of NAS? RAID? What is the spec for the write speed in the NAS?

11. flippinfleck

flippinfleck

Is there anything else on that Domain Controller? If not, a better backup is a secondary DC.

/edit

Just saw that you said you only back up once a month. Not sure what good a month old copy of AD is going to do but seriously, secondary domain controller!!

/edit

12. Blueskyguy

Blueskyguy NES Member

What about using DFS? Once the drive is cloned elsewhere, only the changes have to go across the wire.

13. MetalgodZ

MetalgodZ NES Member

This. I was going to say that if it's important enough that you do that, you might be better off virtualizing and doing offline deltas, but I don't really know what the ballpark budget is.

If you can swing the price of a second server and Windows license, do the second DC. Then, either 1) take backups from the secondary, or 2) create a Linux live disc, script a backup that dumps a delta to a CIFS/NFS share, and take the secondary down weekly to do the backup.

14. napoleon1815

napoleon1815 NES Member

Is this just for an image to have in case it blows up? DCs should be backed up offline if you are looking for a bare metal restore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. je25ff

je25ff

Use NDMP with read only snaps as the target.

Edit: Backing data up via SMB is stupid.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  16. Chet0729

Chet0729

Very few changes. it is only used by an application for internal users. and SQL clustering requirements. We have two domain controllers but they are in the same data center.
    having a secondary Domain controller does not protect against corruption unfortunately, this is why I want a backup.
    A month old backup would be fine in this application.
    I am well aware of what needs to be done to recover a server in just about any roll. I have bare metal restored domain controllers, sql servers, sql clusters etc. All from some form of backup.
    I have just never seen anything as slow as this software.

17. Chet0729

Chet0729

Ok I need to stop everyone, I appreciate all the suggestions. I wasn't looking for an alternate solution, just looking to see if others were using this and if so what their experience was.

18. ma_farmer

ma_farmer NES Member

running backup exec onto LTO6 tape drives connected with a SAS card I can backup close to 8gb/min for local drives and about 3gb/ min for drives via a 1gb lan connection.

is this drive really fragmented? Defrag multiple times and disk check.

19. je25ff

je25ff

Ok, first off. Packet loss. Mirror the switch port(s) and check to see the loss. A switch will buffer big time if you're hitting it hard. Make sure that your bandwith is able to provide the throughput you need. It's the first thing to look at.

20. StumpJumper

StumpJumper

I use it on a half dozen dc's for system state backups; forest recovery worst case scenario, as a backup solution for a dc its not terribly slow, mine take under 30 minutes to a local drive (vm's on a san) I don't use it for anything outside of forest recovery but that's my experience.

21. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

Does the NAS storage offer array based replication (snapshotting or cloning of drives)? That could offer a high performance solution.

22. CrackPot

CrackPot NES Member

I had my windows homeserver system disk start going flakey. Homeserver is win2008 server. I pulled out the disk and stuck it into a disk caddy (SABRENT) I use for dealing with naked 2.5" and 3.5" drives. The disk was so flakey now that it would not even show up in disk manager on windows let alone mount. I had a backup, but the restore path for a system drive is a pain in the ass.

The caddy has two bays and a "clone" button I had never used. I decided WTF and put in another drive and hit clone. 60MB/s, so 14 hours later I had a copy. The copy mounted fine. Stuck the clone into the server and off I went. The bad disk goes in the mail today for warranty replacement (3TB seagate which I have had 25% failure rate on so far).

The doc says it will clone to same size or larger.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IKC14OG

23. Chet0729

Chet0729

Thanks that is what I was looking for. i am going to try it here on my local server. Unfortunately I don't know what the environment looks like because it is in a data center in Texas.