• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Winchestester PDX1 Defender available at Walmart. Is it good stuff?

I got some ammo at walmart today. Winchester PDX1 defender bonded hollowpoints. I figure this is the best stuff Winchester makes?
The 9mm +p has velocity of 1200fps. 40S&W 1,180fps, and the 223 at 2,780fps.

I got some ammo at walmart today. Winchester PDX1 defender bonded hollowpoints. I figure this is the best stuff Winchester makes?
The 9mm +p has velocity of 1200fps. 40S&W 1,180fps, and the 223 at 2,780fps.

One sec. Let me go shoot someone and find out...

[wink]

The PDX is the old Black Talon line with a new name and some updates. I would say it's just as good as the HSTs. I am sure some religious fanatic will say one is better than the other, but in the end, it's a high quality personal defense ammo in the same class as HST.

I am sure some religious fanatic will say one is better than the other.....

Yup, and in the end it all goes bang, and if you do your part and put shots on target, it will do the job.

Remember: A well ventilated operator comes to room temperature much faster [wink]

Walmart + Defenside Ammo = Getting Yourself Killed. You get quality defensive ammo online or at smaller shops that carry a variety. Walmart doesn't sell any reasonable defensive pistol ammo. PDX1 included. Go watch any of the major ammo testing YouTube channels and you'll quickly learn which rounds are good.

The PDX is the old Black Talon line with a new name and some updates. I would say it's just as good as the HSTs. I am sure some religious fanatic will say one is better than the other, but in the end, it's a high quality personal defense ammo in the same class as HST.

The Winchester Ranger-SXT is the old black talon line. The old joke was that SXT stood for "Same x-act thing" due to the negative publicity/fear mongering that the media placed on the black talon bullet.

Some time in the 2000s, Winchester came out with their Ranger-Talon line. SXT went away and Ranger-T became the norm.

Around this timeframe, Winchester also developed the Ranger-Bonded line for Federal LEO contracts.

The PDX1 line is pretty much the Ranger-B line, except packaged for the civilian market in horrendously expensive 20 round boxes.

Last edited:
I had a run in with local PD back in the 90's where local PD checked out my firearm and were down right pissed I had it loaded with Black Talon's

Back
Top Bottom