1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Winchester wild cat 22lr rifle

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by whacko, Apr 11, 2019.

1. whacko

whacko

308rifleman and northframingham like this.

2. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

Wish it came with a nice set of match sight?

3. FrankNA

FrankNA NES Member

Looks kind of neat. I got a Thompson T/CR 22 last year and love it but I'd consider the Winchester if I was in the market for a new .22 rifle. Such a fun caliber to shoot and you still have the use of your shoulder after several hundred rounds!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  4. FiremanBob

FiremanBob NES Member

There is some neat engineering in that thing. But I won't buy anything made in Turkey.

Nick Fury likes this.
  5. hminsky

hminsky NES Life Member NES Member

looks pretty nice. too bad I have three or four 10/22's already :rolleyes:

whacko likes this.
  6. Al-Jim19

Al-Jim19

Looks nice, my 10/22 is great though. It’ll be tough for this to compete with the ruger and the new T/C that’s basically the ruger clone, but I do like the look and the fact that it accepts 10/22 magazines is cool.

7. M60

M60 NES Member

Yeah, I'll stick my old 10/22.

Daddy Mac likes this.
  8. xjma99

xjma99 NES Member

Does it have last shot bolt hold open feature when using 10/22 mags??

KBCraig likes this.
  9. Coyote33

Coyote33

Looks VERY promising. The ones to beat are the Savage trigger and the Marlin microgroove rifling. The barrel looks a little short. For a decent .22, I'd want at least 22 inches.

It looks well designed, and mostly modern designed. It would be nice to see a wood stock option, and maybe something with an integral suppressor.

Will keep an eye on this one?

10. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

I've never had a 10/22 before, and even though I've shot one on a couple of occasions, I never had occasion to load or unload one.

I was helping with a new shooter class on Friday. I was at the pistol table with various Rugers from my father's Standard, to Mk.I-II-III, etc., and one Browning Buckmark. We had multiple instructors (one for each gun).

After all the newbies had their turn, there was some demand for rifles. Someone set a brand-new 10/22 Takedown on my lane. Cool! I've wanted to try one!

That bolt release was the most frustrating thing I ever encountered on a gun I'd never handled before, and I've handled a lot of bizarre guns over the years. I made it work without looking like too big of an idiot, and promptly googled the proper procedure when I got home. I get it now, but... wow.

11. 308rifleman

308rifleman

Down the rabbit hole, somewhere in Paradise.
    Oh, yes, my little girl eyed it along with the10/22 at a Hooksett NH gun store. Don't want to be a spoil sport, but there is no way in hell that my 6 year old daughter is getting a bullet hose for her first rifle. We got a Savage bolt-action .22 LR instead, fitted with a fixed 4X Leupold. I am teaching little Jill to make each shot count.

Choctaw likes this.
  12. teamRR

teamRR

I wish out of the box a 10/22 would hold the bolt open but honestly what I really dislike now that there is a better design are the mags. If Winchester was wise they would've been inspired by the quality minded 10/22 solid metal reciever but used 15-22 mags...

I love my 10/22 and will probably pickup another in the next year incase things ever get bad enough they ban those, but my next 22lr spend will be a performance center 15-22. I love my standard 15-22, its a really sweet design.. 10/22s are built better but just dont work as well.

13. whacko

whacko

My sons first rifle was a Henry lever. His first handgun was a single 10. The henry, while you can run pretty fast, I just wouldn't let him. The single 10.......takes awhile to reload so you tend to take your time

14. straightshooterjake

straightshooterjake

The 10/22 bolt release is really an odd design, but it is easily fixed. You can get an aftermarket bolt release for $10 which releases when the bolt is pulled back. You can also modify the original part with a file, but for $10 I prefer to just replaced them.

I definitely agree that single shot rifles are preferable for beginners, especially for young beginners. However, when a semi-auto is the only training rifle available, it works quite well as long as you only load one round per magazine. This method slows the shooting down, and it is also a healthy excuse to buy a couple more magazines. As a side effect, it greatly increases the frequency of loading, inserting, and removing magazines, and checking that the rifle is properly clear. Doing many repetitions of all these actions is very beneficial for beginners.

15. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

My favorite part of the newbie shoot: an 8 year old girl from UK, who was the most enthusiastic and careful student I've ever seen. She was on the grass in the sitting position, with an instructor sitting there handing her round after round, always hitting the 12" gong from 25 yards.

She was using my 16 year old's first rifle (from age 3), a Crickett. She handled that bolt like a champ, pulled the cocking knob, and *ping*! I loved it. She probably shot 200 rounds through the afternoon.

whacko likes this.
  16. smokey-seven

smokey-seven NES Member

Isn't it great when you watch a kid enjoying the hell out of a day at the range?

KBCraig likes this.
  17. Coyote33

Coyote33

It would be cool if they also came out with a .22 Magnum version of this rifle. Better still, a .17 WSM!!!!!!