• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Winchester White Box

Hey guys, I need to apologize.......supermoto called me out and it has been revealed that not only am I a liar about my credentials, but I am a liability to my department as well because I never dealt with a squib round before. Because of this, I will be handing in my resignation effective immediately, and I will post no more on this or any forum because I am such a risk. Thank you supermoto, you have saved so many lives because of your awesomeness.....
Just so long as we are clear... [rofl2]

Thank you supermoto, you have saved so many lives because of your awesomeness.....

You're Welcome

awesome.jpg

I had two squib rounds since i started shooting, both within a few minutes. It was from some ammo I bought off here that was told to be new. I used a wooden dowl to remove them, which i now keep in my range bag. The 2nd one did screw up the barrel and i bought a new one to replace it.
I have not had one since them and stick to store bought stuff until i can do my own reloading.

Joey
A squib can't damage your bbl. Just for future consideration. Either it was a chunk of something that could have been brushed out, or you damaged it while removing the bullet.

If you use a wood or brass rod and bang on a lead bullet, you can't hurt the bbl. Just an FYI. Of course if you shoot a round AFTER the squib, well thats a different story.

FWIW I stopped buying Winchester bulk components some time ago. The "finish" of the bullets had really started to go downhill. First to go were the rifle bullets. A couple of years later, pistol bullets turned. Problems I was seeing were poor/ragged finish of the copper jacket at the base of the bullet. Got so bad with the rifle bullets I could scoop up a handful and even with my old eyes I could plainly see differences between the bullets in my hand. Don't see anything like that with Hornady or Speer. Winchester looks to be having some real QC problems at the component level that are perhaps just now working their way into Winchester's ammunition products? Just speculating....

Many cleaning rods that come in those Hoppes cleaning kits are made of aluminum and work well in a pinch when you don't have a poly, brass or wood squib rod at your disposal. They mar up fairly easy but get the job done and don't really hurt anything. You may not be able to use them again for their intended purpose after pushing out a stubborn squib...YMMV.

ETA: the only squibs I've ever encountered personally were from factory ammo.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom