• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Winchester White Box

So, 13 years of shooting and thousands and thousands of rounds, never once have I actually seen a squib round in person. Today however, not only did I see my first, but also my second and now 2 barrells are sitting at the gun shop waiting for the gunsmith to remove the bullets. These were 165gr .40S&W Winchester white box, 100 round value packs bought at Wal-Mart. Good luck trying to find a number for customer service, I finally got one and left a message. We will see if and when they ever call back. Please be aware if you are shooting this shit ammo!!!

You don't carry a squib rod in you range bag? tsk tsk. [laugh]

I've never gotten one from commercial ammo but WWB going to shit doesn't surprise me. Derek had serious problems with at least like TWO lots of the 9mm stuff, I think.

It's also encouraging when you buy a box of it occasionally and you find an empty piece of brass in the box or a bullet rolling around in the box. [laugh]

I'm guessing because the demand is so high their QC has gone to shit. They WILL make good on it though if you call them out on it.

-Mike

I noticed 4 weak rounds from my last Winchester whit box of 9mm. They went off no problem but the blast was a lot more muffled than the other rounds. I took the slide and barrel off of the P38 I was shooting just to make sure that they actually went down range and not stuck in the barrel.

Haha no, dont carry a squib rod, I didn't really want to mess with it in case I f'ed it up. I did actually just get a call back, woman told me they need the cases, the bullets from the barrel, and any rounds left but she isn't sure what they are going to do yet. Luckily I was standing right next to the guy when he was shooting and just the sound alone, I knew it wasn't good. Usually I would be screaming to do an immediate action, which luckily I didn't or it would have been very bad!

I shoot lots of WWB and never had any problems except the boxes seem to empty quick.

I really need to get that reloading bench set up and find some time to do it!

Update, I did get a call back after I finally found the right number to call, which wasnt easy. I think the fact that I left in the message that I am LE and one of the guns is a duty weapon made for the prompt call back. WOman was very nice, but didn't know what they are going to do. I need to send the extracted bullets, the cases, and the rounds not fired to them and then they will let me know.

I have heard more first hand reports of squibs and misfires coming from WWB in the last year than in all of my previous 30 years of shooting.

Something's not right.

My cheap ammo of choice is blazer. It runs great. I used it for years in my G34 shooting IDPA and never had a failure of ANY kind in tens of thousands of rounds.

Ha, I noticed that too. Funny. Pulling a squib from a glock is about as easy as it gets since the bbl comes out in about 3 seconds.

Muzzle down on a piece of wood, old brass cleaning rod section inserted into bbl. Bang rod with whatever's around. You can use the glock's slide. It won't hurt it.

If the bullet's barely into the rifling you can go the other way, but I'm always leery of banging on the muzzle end.

Don
p.s. I had a few when I was learning to reload.

Like I stated in the original thread, I have not encountered a squib before. I breifly attempted to remove it as you stated, but when it wouldn't budge, I took it to a professional. I am not a gunsmith, nor claim to be. Have you ever taken the Glock Armorers course? 8 hours of very basic shit and since it was a PD gun that is brand new, better safe than sorry.

I've not taken the course, but I have a copy of the book. I agree. Lots of info about detail stripping it, diagnosing and replacing failed parts, lubrication, safety checks, etc. No real core gunsmithing skills.

Yup, that about sums it up! So I hope I am forgiven for not pounding the sh*t out of a gun that is not mine just because I have an armorers certificate.....

you don't need to pound the shit out of your gun. I had one at a match the other day, the primer didn't ignite the powder. Took the gun apart, put the squib rod in the barrel from the muzzle, hit the end of the rod on the table, cleaned the unburnt powder out of the gun, put the gun together, finished the match.

It took longer to type this then it did to remove the squib

It's odd with your long list of credentials, that you do not know how to fix this basic issue

i used the 100rd count of 9mm winchester white box a few weeks ago in my sig p228.......so much "sludge" in the barrel and chamber, i had no problems before this event.

Be nice - if you don't reload, you could go a lifetime and never need a squib rod.
Umm, that would be doing it very wrong... [shocked]

If reloading ups your odds of a squib, then you might want to consider more training or another hobby.

Supermofo is, in fact, awesome so we have to put up with him. [laugh]

Its definitely gone down hill. When I started reloading a few years ago I switched to it from Blazer so I could keep the brass.

Now that I've got enough brass for a lifetime, I have switched back to blazer for use in my pistol classes, but shoot exclusively reloads myself.

Don

p.s. I've found that if I put the first and last 5 rounds of every run into a practice box, then take the rest of the run, chamber check every round and also check every primer to make sure it is seated just a bit below flush, I can make ammo that is as reliable as factory. My Baer went about 4000 rounds without any failures of any kind before I started screwing around with reduced loads and lighter recoil springs.

before I started screwing around with reduced loads and lighter recoil springs.
Oh, ok, I see, if you are going to mess around with that stuff, then it makes a little more sense. I don't do reduced loads, slows me down. [smile]

Really, if you are not sure whether it makes it out of the barrel, that's just cheating... [wink] Shoot like a man and cut it out. [laugh]

Umm, that would be doing it very wrong... [shocked]

If reloading ups your odds of a squib, then you might want to consider more training or another hobby.

Supermofo is, in fact, awesome so we have to put up with him. [laugh]

Cekim - do you reload? 99% of all the squibs you will ever see at the range are reloads.
I shot literally tens of thousands of rounds of blazer through my G34 over several years of IDPA and also just screwing around. (best guess is just north of 32,000 rounds)
And I never had a single failure of ANY kind.

I've not personally had a squib in my reloads. But I'm pretty anal about reloading and I have Dillon 650s with powder checks. But that doesn't change the fact that improperly reloaded ammo is THE major source of squibs and misfires.

Don

Oh, ok, I see, if you are going to mess around with that stuff, then it makes a little more sense. I don't do reduced loads, slows me down. [smile]

Really, if you are not sure whether it makes it out of the barrel, that's just cheating... [wink] Shoot like a man and cut it out. [laugh]

The reduced power loads didn't result in any squibs. Not even close. But when I was trying to figure out the right powder and recoil spring combination, reliability suffered. Prior to that my reloads had gone 4000 rounds without a failure of any kind. The failures the reduced power loads induced were failure to feed and failure to eject. Not failure to fire or squibs.

Don

Cekim - do you reload? 99% of all the squibs you will ever see at the range are reloads.
I shot literally tens of thousands of rounds of blazer through my G34 over several years of IDPA and also just screwing around. (best guess is just north of 32,000 rounds)
And I never had a single failure of ANY kind.

I've not personally had a squib in my reloads. But I'm pretty anal about reloading and I have Dillon 650s with powder checks. But that doesn't change the fact that improperly reloaded ammo is THE major source of squibs and misfires.

Don
I do and I am the same... if I have any doubt about charge, I check it one way or another.

fortunately I have only seen one squib round
unfortunately it was in a 240B. The gun crew caught it, though, thank god they figured it out instead of doing POPS.

The round refused to come out of the barrel, and off it went to be de-milled.
Even .mil ammo (Which is actually kind of shitty IMO) fails every once in a while.

Be nice - if you don't reload, you could go a lifetime and never need a squib rod.

Not necessarily true, as evidenced by this thread. [laugh] He's not the only guy I've heard of that had a squib with commercial ammo, either. It is rare, but not impossible.

-Mike

I had one in my AR at this fall's Pumpkin Shoot with Federal American Eagle .223. Luckily someone else had a hammer, but using a metal rod in a relatively new barrel made me want to cry, and certainly made me cringe.

Ever since, I carry three wood dowels--one in 3/16" (for .22, .223) one in 1/4" (for .30), and a short piece of 5/16" (for pistol 9mm+). I had to use the the 1/4" when I over patched my Mosin barrel like a rookie, and it worked well. Certainly less cringing than banging out using a steel cleaning rod.

Hey guys, I need to apologize.......supermoto called me out and it has been revealed that not only am I a liar about my credentials, but I am a liability to my department as well because I never dealt with a squib round before. Because of this, I will be handing in my resignation effective immediately, and I will post no more on this or any forum because I am such a risk. Thank you supermoto, you have saved so many lives because of your awesomeness.....

Back
Top Bottom