Winchester white box ammo - is it normally this bad?

I think quality issues are mostly "Post- Sandy Hook" upping of production.
Prior to Sandy Hook ammo was ok range fodder, after that...I'll pass.

i ran 100 .45 through my 1911 today, no function issues, couldnt hit a damn thing with them. loaded up federal hst and back on bullseye. same with my 9mm.

My friend has a Ruger SR9. When we went to the range last he was shooting WWB. He had, at the end of the day, 5 or 6 "dud's". I took these dud's and loaded up a mag for my S&W M&P9 with an Apex Comp kit in it. That's right a COMP kit. The kit many say hits soft? I rattled off all six no problem. Not a scientific test but I think it says a lot.

WWB is crap ammo, to be sure, but not that crappy. Sounds like a bad batch.
And to people bashing a particular gun, if your gun is that picky on ammo, return it to the manufacturer.

Personally, I shoot all kinds of random crapola ammo from mine.... even the "duds" bin at the club for hahas. Often times they run fine. I can only attribute this to one of two things.... 1. I have amazingly good luck and the sun shines on my arse every time I shoot, or 2. People are way too quick to attribute something to a gun or to a brand of ammo without sufficiently testing in a scientific way to see what, in fact, caused the problem.

Given the holes in my targets not being 100 percent within a dime's size every single time, I'm guessing #2 is the actual culprit.

Some guns just don't like certain ammo, no helping it it seems. My M&P9c eats everything, including the WWB with no problems. No FTE so far.
But yeah, bitch to Win and get some free ammo. Then sell it because it looks like your SR9 won't be taking those.

This statement is very true.... my M&P9C also eats anything, like to the point I haven't found a "bad" ammo for it, whereas the ex-wife had a Ruger SR9 and her gun was very picky when it came to ammo.... and it hated the WWB

Given that this was ejection problems, not failure to fire, you either have brass thats out of spec or an issue with the extractor in the pistol.

I'd bet its the pistol, and for whatever reason it's showing up first with WWB.

I've run winchester 9mm brass for a long time (several thousand rounds) with 0 FTEs in a 9mm 1911, M&P Shield, and G34.

I must say my M&PC 9mm shoots everything. Even reloaded stuff!! Never run WWB though. Its the most reliable gun I have. Never any problems with it in the nine years I have owned it.

My Ruger SR45 eats everything: Federal, Remington, S&B, Aguila, Winchester, PMC....does not matter.

Assuming the lot number is the three groups of numbers printed on the inside end flap of the box, mine was:

CT365BY
E129262
K6683

Will post a picture when I work out some hosting.

My box is
CT510EY
E129265
K7190

White Box Winchester=Crap ammo.
Had nothing to do with the gun. Runs everything through it flawlessly except terribly out of specs ammo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq6hHvLbQpM

The round on the left in this video very similar to what I had. Sadly, I did not save the round.
My wife and daughter were loading rounds in the magazines for me. They would have never noticed the bad round.
It was only 20 deg. and very windy that day.
I had a failure to chamber. The slide was half way closed with the round stuck in the chamber.
That was one, the others were duds or failure to be in battery.

So if your gun will eat that. Have fun,cause I wont be chancing it again.

Given that this was ejection problems, not failure to fire, you either have brass thats out of spec or an issue with the extractor in the pistol.

I'd bet its the pistol, and for whatever reason it's showing up first with WWB.

I'm open to the possibility that this may be the case. If so, any thoughts on how to conclusively diagnose it short of paying a gunsmith to "just take a look"?

Of note, I did fire just as much Blazer ammo before and after the string of WWB ammo and had no problems it. I also did look carefully at the gun after each but didn't see anything that looked "wrong".

I bought ~500 rounds of WWB that was a bad batch a few years back. It left a lot of brass flakes in my gun and after ~100 rounds the brass flakes started jamming things up. Give your gun a good cleaning and get to the range with some different ammo.

with WWB - you get what you pay for. its still decent enough for plinking and practice.

IMHO it's better than average for practice ammo, particularly in 9mm. I've lost track of how much of it I've used over the years, and had very few problems. I have seen others have bad lots of it here and there though, and Winchester takes care of them if enough data is provided.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom