• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Winchester White Box 9mm round count

Since I decided to "ration" my 9mm rounds at the range, I opened 6 bulk boxes of WWB 100 count 9mm from WalMart, and divided them up into 50-round blocks I have. I expected 100 rounds in each box, but what I found surprised me a little:

box count
1 101
2 102
3 101
4 100
5 99
6 98

With modern packaging equipment, I didn't think it would be that hard for them to pack exactly 100 rounds in each box. I averaged 100 rounds over 6 boxes, but if you are buying one box at a time, I think you are never sure what you are getting.

I had a box break in the back of a friend's car. Was counting to make sure I did not leave any as other family members who do not have permits also use the car. Came up with 102 which left me wondering, "What if there was 103?"

I had a box break in the back of a friend's car. Was counting to make sure I did not leave any as other family members who do not have permits also use the car. Came up with 102 which left me wondering, "What if there was 103?"
It's sad how the laws in this state make people think. [thinking]

I have noticed the same thing, but fortunately for me I have always had them be a couple over rather than under which is fine by me. They really should do them by weight though because there would be way less discrepancy that way, and they might actually make more profit in the long run.

I've watched enough "How It's Made" shows to be a manufacturing expert. They can pack cereal to within a fraction of an ounce. It just surprised me that Winchester was not using a similar technology. I imagine the profit margins are pretty thin, so maybe they save money wherever they can.

I've always thought I was coming up short too, I have 10 round mags, and never seem to get 10 complete mags loaded, usually 1-2 under

I don't buy it based off of the many complaints regarding lack of quality...

Perhaps they thrown in a couple of extras as a reimbursment[smile]

I don't ever recall having any problems with WWB. The 9mm feeds and shoots amazing in both my SR9c and G17. I usually have 100 rounds in the value pack. I remember having an extra round or two but I thought it was my mistake.

I have no direct experience with WWB, but the answer may be this -one of the "counters" (likely a scale) may be slightly out of calibration; there may be some variation in the weight of the bullets ( and possibly the brass) where a statisitcally atypical pile of ammo will have more light or heavy bullets than it "should" - a few cartridges that are 2 or three grains light (or heavy) may be enough to fool the computer into thinking that it needs one more, or one fewer.

But, at the end of the day, it's all good. If you have extra, you have more shooting; if you're short, you have something to complain about!

[laugh]

About 2 months ago I stopped in at Walmart and bought 2 WWB 100 packs, 9mm, loose in box. Went home to load up mags and first box short 1 round. O.k. I say move to second box and same thing, 1 short. I called the Walmart store to speak with someone in the dept. to tell them what was going on. Was transfered 3 times between dept. manager and store manager. I explained that the boxes were short and it could be a manufacturing issue or someone in store may be helping themselves to a bullet or two per box, before hitting the shelves. Just wanted to make them aware. Store manager told me to come in and pick up an envelope left in my name that had a store gift card in it. She told me that she appreciated the input and for shopping at the store.
I haven't decided what to use the card on in the store yet. I thought that was nice of them...

I don't buy it based off of the many complaints regarding lack of quality...

Perhaps they thrown in a couple of extras as a reimbursment[smile]

For the price, I'll accept the minor inconvenience of a physically bad or missing round now and then. I've run tens of thousands of it through my guns over time and can count on one hand the number of bad rounds experienced.
The savings on it over time has more than made up for them. I haven't bough 9mm in a long time now since I reload so I don't know how the prices compare currently but I'll bet its still cheaper than other brands, if based on nothing else but WallyWorld's buying power.

The possibility of a bad round exists in any brand and this is good reason not to let an inexperienced shooter load magazines.

I had a brand new case of WWB in 50 round boxes with styrofoam holders.
At least one box was half empty and there were a bunch of random rounds spilled under all the boxes within the cardboard case.

I should mention though- I never had an issue with WWB itself.

Last edited:
For the price, I'll accept the minor inconvenience of a physically bad or missing round now and then. I've run tens of thousands of it through my guns over time and can count on one hand the number of bad rounds experienced.
The savings on it over time has more than made up for them. I haven't bough 9mm in a long time now since I reload so I don't know how the prices compare currently but I'll bet its still cheaper than other brands, if based on nothing else but WallyWorld's buying power.

The possibility of a bad round exists in any brand and this is good reason not to let an inexperienced shooter load magazines.

I also have had no issues with WWB in any of my handguns (.45 and 9mm). However Federal Champion runs just as good ( seems cleaner to me as well) and is cheaper than WWB so federal is all I buy at wally world.

About 2 months ago I stopped in at Walmart and bought 2 WWB 100 packs, 9mm, loose in box. Went home to load up mags and first box short 1 round. O.k. I say move to second box and same thing, 1 short. I called the Walmart store to speak with someone in the dept. to tell them what was going on. Was transfered 3 times between dept. manager and store manager. I explained that the boxes were short and it could be a manufacturing issue or someone in store may be helping themselves to a bullet or two per box, before hitting the shelves. Just wanted to make them aware. Store manager told me to come in and pick up an envelope left in my name that had a store gift card in it. She told me that she appreciated the input and for shopping at the store.
I haven't decided what to use the card on in the store yet. I thought that was nice of them...

This shocks me! I had a horrible experience in a Walmart 2 weeks ago that had nothing to do with ammo but it was so bad that I wrote a complaint to the corporate office. I have never in my life done this but it was that bad. Two days later the store manager called me and said that she would talk to the employee (who was a mgr) and that the employee was already quitting in two weeks so that's why he gave me the I don't give a f*** attitude. She told me she wanted to give me a gift card for my inconvenience but corporate does not allow it anymore! Thanks for this info I think I will write them again. You got a gift card for being two rounds short!!!! WOW good for you man!

Oh can I ask what Walmart?

I also have had no issues with WWB in any of my handguns (.45 and 9mm). However Federal Champion runs just as good ( seems cleaner to me as well) and is cheaper than WWB so federal is all I buy at wally world.

Ya, but federal brass is kind of lousy for reloading, the primer pockets usually stretch on the first firing. I tend to stay away from federal brass, especially their rifle brass.

Ya, but federal brass is kind of lousy for reloading, the primer pockets usually stretch on the first firing. I tend to stay away from federal brass, especially their rifle brass.

News to me. My dad reloads for 9mm, .40, and .45. He has never had any issues reloading federal pistol brass.

Back
Top Bottom