• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Winchester USA Forge 9mm amm

radioman

NES Member
This is a non-fire review. I will update once I figure out which of my 9mm's I want to clog with varnish/shellac. I saw these USA made Winchester cartridges at my local Wal-mart for a very Russian like price. I read the box and the only "bad" thing was they are steel cases. I don't reload 9 and none of my 9mm's are national match quality so I don't mind shooting steel. I shoot Tula on a regular basis with no problem. When I got home instead of stacking these on the ammo shelf I thought I'd take a look. Being something I never bought before I was curious. What I found, though they were kitty approved, they looked like somethings manufactured in 1970's Siberia? USA made? Meaning these are brand new manufacture? This is embarrassing. They are covered with what looks like the old varnish from the Soviet ammo makers. In the photo the bottom row is Tula and the top are these new Winchesters. The Tula's are spotless clean. Blow up the photo and look in the extractor grove? What a mess. I'll update and let you know if these foul my pistol. First impressions are not good.

image.jpg image.jpg

I really don't see a problem. The Tula looks like it varnish or plastic coated whereas the Winchester is maybe a phosphate coating.

Shoot it and see how it feeds.

LOL @ steel case ammo looking "dirty" what did you expect? Perfecta looks pretty nice and shiny but it is pure shit ammo. Same thing with most AMERC I've ever seen.

-Mike

The Tula is spotless like I said. Not a coating on it at all. Just bare steel. If I had to guess Tula is using HRPO steel. Needs no coating to stop rust. The Winchesters are a mess. No excuse for workmanship like this.

Since the subject changed whats wrong with Perfecta? I haven't shot it but I see at at Walmart all the time.

Horribly underpowered... at least in 9mm. I would buy Tulammo long before that stuff ever again.

-Mike

- - - Updated - - -

The Tula is spotless like I said. Not a coating on it at all. Just bare steel. If I had to guess Tula is using HRPO steel. Needs no coating to stop rust. The Winchesters are a mess. No excuse for workmanship like this.

There's a perfect excuse, it's skinlfint ammo marketed to mostly skinflints. 99% of the people buying it aren't going to care, unless it fails to make their gun work right or blows it up or something.

-Mike

Since the subject changed whats wrong with Perfecta? I haven't shot it but I see at at Walmart all the time.
I tried a couple boxes, while it all went bang it seemed very inconsistent in the power category. Some seemed very weak while other seem normal to a little strong. The Brassmax is much better and about the same price

Wow, so people who don't have money to blow on expencive ammo are skinflints. I'll keep that in mind at the next NES event so I'll know my place.

- - - Updated - - -

There is no way the Tula is bare steel. It would be rusted before it arrived in the store.
Did you read what I said about HRPO and how that type of steel needs no coating to stop rust?

Wow, so people who don't have money to blow on expencive ammo are skinflints. I'll keep that in mind at the next NES event so I'll know my place.

Hey you're talking to a guy who has probably fired more Blazer AL .45 than anyone on this forum, "because it was cheap", so in that regard, I was a skinflint too. [laugh]

And yeah, it would be nice to get some high brow steel cased ammo produced, like the stuff Hornady made on occasion (that .223 training ammo they used to sell was great, and cheap) but usually "cheap" and "good" are incompatible terms. I mean let's face some facts here, most of this steel case stuff is marketed at cleetus businblah who wants to spend as little as possible on ammunition.

-Mike

Last edited:

- - - Updated - - -

Did you read what I said about HRPO and how that type of steel needs no coating to stop rust?

Personally, I reload my own and even cast my own bullets to save money.

You think they hot roll steel shell casings? [rolleyes]

Most of the Russian steel case ammo has a thin polymer coating on the steel case to deter rust. The lacquer coated stuff is obviously so and it smells like a nail salon when you shoot it. If you're into that.

Most of the Russian steel case ammo has a thin polymer coating on the steel case to deter rust. The lacquer coated stuff is obviously so and it smells like a nail salon when you shoot it. If you're into that.

The old Wolf laquer ammo had a propellant or something that used to smell like rotten fish. Friend of mine ran some of that old wolf 45 through his pistol and like I opened the action 2 days later and sniffed it and recoiled in horror, it was like what a low-end hookers crotch probably smells like.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom