• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Winchester Trifecta and Poll Question

What to do with the Poly coat on the stock?

• Keep it

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Remove it

Votes: 15 93.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So here they are...

9/1918 M1917 Winchester, W17 bayonet. All Winchester save bolt. Still debating the effort to take the finish off; at least until I can get that rear trigger screw out. It's still stuck after a night with a drop of Kroil on it. Have a plastic oiler in the butt; need a nickel one. Sling is a nice reproduction; have a '43 dated canvas one I can use. Found a Winchester bolt on GunBroker for $225.

5/1944 M1 Winchester Garand, Danish return, matched stock from 40's refurb, Lock-Bar rear sight, Danish scabbard, Danish sling, Danish cleaning kit.

Summer 1942 M1 Winchester Carbine, Winchester stock, Italian return, I have an Italian made bayonet

t
IMG_1284.jpeg

Last edited:
I realize most everyone voted to remove the poly. It might even be TruOil, which I have no idea what the chemistry is. Regardless, here's another suggestion:

Don't remove it- just knock down the gloss with 0000 steel wool. After the steel wool, you can polish with a soft cloth to bring back some sheen but it still won't be full gloss like it is now. If you want a higher sheen than possible with steel wool alone, try steel wool + oil then wipe. That will still be a step down or so from the full gloss you have now. Almost zero to lose from trying this approach, and you can test without taking the rifle apart.

Thanks; worth a shot...have sand paper and a buffing wheel...don’t know about xxxx wool as I used brass on metal. There’s steel wool in there.

Found some. Put some more Kroil on the crew and it will try later.

t

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Thanks; worth a shot...have sand paper and a buffing wheel...don’t know about xxxx wool as I used brass on metal. There’s steel wool in there.

Found some. Put some more Kroil on the crew and it will try later.

t

You are not saying the buffing wheel has steel wool? It doesn't- that's an interleaf wheel with sandpaper (cloth backing actually) and scotch-brite material which has aluminum oxide abrasive grain bonded to the fibers. When I mention steel wool, I'm talking about buying some 0000 (four-ought) pads of steel wool and rubbing by hand.

Maybe you know this but based on your last post I thought I might clarify.

Still can't get that screw out. Will have to seek professional help. Don't want to steel wool with the stock on and bugger the metal finish.

Stole the bayonet for $150

t

0000 steel wool will not bother the metal finish unless you plan to scrub it for half an hour

Try screwing that screw in a little before trying to remove it

Now you can see all the scuff marks from the steel wool. Will probably find someone to get the screw out and strip the finish.

At some point.
t

I think it looks great. I'd say stop right where you are. Leave the screw, leave it alone. Done.

Got the screw out. Took an electric drill and a good fitting bit. Staccato bursts got it free. Then the front band screw was the same. Got that one with less work. Stripping time.

Every part is Winchester.

t
937AE1E8-FCEC-4CCA-94E6-FC17B4236F3C.jpeg

And done.....now all I need is a Winchester bolt. Looks like I missed a tiny spot on the front edge of the lower hand guard.

Maybe I can try it out before my surgery next week. Finally get my hip put back together...was diagnosed the month before my heart attack.

t
IMG_1305.jpeg

Last edited:
NICE! Those screws weren't staked in place were they?

What did you use to remove the shiny stuff?

There were what looked like stake holes, but the rear screw bound up as the magazine well was tipped and uneven with the floor plate. Chemical name is “Strip-eeze.“

t

Last edited:
Shot just fine, although high and left. Front sight does not fit well or seem original. Gave it a tap right when done. 40 rounds 70’s HXP, 100 yards, 83F, windy. First four were the high left ones. Rang the gong 7/7 before missing. Don’t know if it’s worth replacing the front sight for how little I’m going to shoot it.

Had a little visitor. Shooed her away three times, but she wouldn’t stay shooed.

t
1A8B768B-87A3-479F-A7C8-DAEC099ED7A8.jpeg 6548A1C5-016E-4900-B6AD-9C1B126325D3.jpeg 44B84352-8768-4E0E-9E10-296771AFB741.jpeg 02E16117-E9DA-49F6-AC38-6D3C090A1A5B.jpeg

Last edited:
were you shooting with the ladder up and the peep down near the bottom of the ladder? Ladder down is battle sight ~300yds

Back
Top Bottom