Winchester Rifles

Any experience with recently manufactured ? From internet reviews I'm under the impression that quality is not all that bad. Looks like I could possibly jam one more long gun into the safe. Thinking either a Featherweight, or the Weather Extreme. What say ye?

The current Winchester lever guns are made in Japan and the workmanship is outstanding, just like the cars made there. I bought one last year and couldn't find fault with anything on it. The stocks were gorgeous walnut and well fitted and the metal finish was amazing. Screws were all perfect and un-buggered. Just a gorgeous gun overall and the action was smooth and flawless. I wouldn't hesitate to get another.

Many of the recently made "Winchester" guns are made by Miroku in Japan. This is the same plant that has made the Japanese made Browning firearms, and the quality of all the Miroku guns is very good. Most of the Miroku made firearms cost well over a thousand dollars, and their quality is consistent with that price. I believe that all of the currently made Winchester lever actions are made by Miroku.

However, according to at least one website, the current Winchester Model 70 rifles are made in Portugal. I believe these are the guns that the OP is considering, so I don't think they can be compared to the lever actions.

Quality is pretty good on model 70's on par with the lever actions, especially the super grade M70. Miroku may make them, but they have "assembled in Portugal" or something like that on the barrel. Overall they are very nice rifles. Certainly a step up in fit/finish and blueing quality from Savage or Remington. You will pay a couple hundred extra too for it. I think the featherweight starts around $750 give or take. Most of them Ive looked at have been very nice. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if it's in your price range.

Some guy had a Super Grade 308 on here that I'm still kicking myself in the ass for not buying.

If your talking a synthetic rifle, I don't think I'd spend the extra, I'd go with a Savage 110 combo. Very accurate rifles and you won't be paying a premium.

The value in the Winchesters are in bluing, wood, and finishwork that you just won't find in almost any other guns nowadays. They are made to pretty high quality standards and materials.

Last edited:
The current Winchester lever guns are made in Japan and the workmanship is outstanding, just like the cars made there. I bought one last year and couldn't find fault with anything on it. The stocks were gorgeous walnut and well fitted and the metal finish was amazing. Screws were all perfect and un-buggered. Just a gorgeous gun overall and the action was smooth and flawless. I wouldn't hesitate to get another.

This^

The Miroku made guns are superb, but that kind of quality is NOT cheap.
I have a few Miroku made Brownings which I feel are nearly as good as the old Belgian made long arms, in some ways they may even be better due to more modern metallurgy.

This^

I have a few Miroku made Brownings which I feel are nearly as good as the old Belgian made long arms, in some ways they may even be better due to more modern metallurgy.

The quality on the Miroku made Citoris is excellent, so I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Miroku made product. Winchester's 101 appears to be made in Belgium according to their marketing materials, and I've handled a more recent model and can attest to the quality there as well.

If you're afraid of the "Assembled in Portugal" stamp on the new Model 70s, the quality on my Portuguese-assembled Maxus is quite good as well. I'm not sure if the parts are still made in the USA for the Model 70s or not.

I have had problems with their Turkish-made SXP shotgun though. Poor QC resulted in a magazine tube cap being constructed from sub-standard aluminium. The thing cracked outward from the crown, perpendicular to and across the threads. I tried once to get a replacement, but got the run around that lead to someone's voicemail and never got a call back. I ended up replacing it with a mag tube cap designed for a Winchester 1300. Shoots well enough otherwise, though.

I say if you want one, and it speaks to you after handling it, then buy it. Then buy a new, larger safe and put a few more in with it.

This^

Here is a funny but useless piece of information. Miroku used to make revolvers. Specifically colt knock offs. The finish quality, metalurgy, and mechanical function are all superb. As you would expect from a company that has been making $2000-$4000 shotguns for Browning for decades.

But these guns are cheap. As in CHEAP. I've purchased 3 mirokus in the last 4 years and never paid more than $225 for one. The bluing is deep and the polishing is flawless. Its an amazing deal if you like ye old schoole style blued revolvers.

There is one currently on gunbroker and it looks like they are starting to go up.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/783308691

The quality on the Miroku made Citoris is excellent, .

How much does the Browning Clitoris model cost? Is that measured in gauge, caliber, depth, or some metric I'm not familiar with (even though I'm married...........to a woman............who has always been a woman)?

How much does the Browning Clitoris model cost? Is that measured in gauge, caliber, depth, or some metric I'm not familiar with (even though I'm married...........to a woman............who has always been a woman)?

Ah, the magical Browning Clitoris. They let you take one home free if you treat it right, but the cost of ownership is extraordinarily high. Requires a lot of investment for maintenance.

Early in 2014 I picked up a Win Model 70 Featherweight in 308 along with a bunch of practice ammo and various Nosler rounds planning for the fall deer hunt in Utah, which never happened (for me). I kinda cheaped on the scope (Nikon) because the wooded, hilly/mountain area we were going to scout did not lend itself to shots over 200-300 yards.

The rifle was manufactured by FN in South Carolina and assembled there. I can't find a single thing to complain about...fit and finish are great...action is smooth and the trigger is amazing. HOWEVER, it remains un fired because due emergency parental health issues I was forced "post haste" to beat a path back to MA.. Much to my chagrin. Everything I've heard and read about them says tack driver.

If the M70 rifles assembled in Portugal are the same kind of quality, I would say get one. From what I know the parts are still manufactured by FN in SC.

Last edited:
I'd buy, but only after thorough in-hand inspection.

I recently bought a new winchester 1892 in .44 and the fit/finish was outstanding. I was impressed by the blueing, I didn't expect it to be as good as it is, and the stock fitting is very nice as well. The action is quite slick, much much better than a rossi or remlin out of the box.

I think I'm done with handguns. Unless the Sig 225A1 shows up, which I doubt, I'd love to get a couple of Winchester rifles, starting with the 94 lever action.

Back
Top Bottom