• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

winchester pre 64 question ?

mac1911

NES Member
Not sure if this is the right place but its about older guns so.

I have always believed the "pre 1964" term was ment for the winchester model 94 and the production changes made in 1964.

Recently I noticed alot of other models advertised as "pre 64" which may or maynot had any production or design changes in 1964 or after ?

any input on this ?

It pertains to all Winchesters. Although, I think its the most noticeable on the lever action guns.

I know the Model 70 changed the feed mechanism to a cheaper version.

They went from a "Control Round Feed" to something called a "push feed" that many believed is much inferior. They may have cheapened up on some cosmetic things too.

I know the Model 70 changed the feed mechanism to a cheaper version.

They went from a "Control Round Feed" to something called a "push feed" that many believed is much inferior. They may have cheapened up on some cosmetic things too.

This.

Also, it's generally accepted that Remington introduced a whole host of cost-saving measures across the product line to lower the price points of their firearms. The pre-64 guns are definitely superior and are rightfully more sought after by fans of the guns.

Last edited:
When I hear "pre-64", I also think "Winchester Lever Action." Apparently, many parts went from being machined / milled to being stamped, a much faster, cheaper, easier process. For example, the nice milled cartridge lifter (carrier) was changed to stamped.

Mine is a 1962 manufacture, so I got in just under the wire.

Last edited:
Winchester 94, pre 64, in my opinion the best deer gun. Iron sights, carries like a pistol, and quick follow up shots.

Also at one point you filled out a piece of paper, checking the boxes for the different options. Octagon barrels, half mags. takedowns, barrel length, sights and the list continues. The company basically made all custom rifles. This resulted in a lot of different custom variations, which makes them fun to collect.

They also made a bunch of 94's with a 14 and even 12 inch barrel. These are not considered SBR's and arnt regulated. Good luck finding one though.

Last edited:
my dad sold off the pre 64 30 30 he had before I was old enough to buy it. I aquired 2 post 64s and fit and finish was bleak and the wood was so blah i had to sell them off. looking around to fill the lever gun gap in my safe I noticed the "pre 64" plug on what seems to be every thing winchester manufactured

Back
Top Bottom