Winchester Model 94 Restoration.

Signa427

Banned
I just recieved a hevily used model 94. The bands holding the barrel to the magazine tube have lost the retention screwes. The temporary solution was to wrap them with electrical tape. That was 20 years ago. I've ordered replacement screwes and removed the tape, revealing the worst tape residue you can imagine. I was able to remove some of the gunk, but there is a noticible black sticky matter on the wood. I was thinking Nail pilosh remover and some hard scrubbing, but I wasnt sure if that was the best option. Is there products availible that I can use to refinish the wood?

On the other hand, Im intresed in Re-blueing the metal. What is the best way to do it?

I would try a little WD-40 on a rag to get the residue off. Nail polish remover has acetone and might remove the finish too. Tung oil is a good finish, Birchwood Casey also make a good stock finish.

Blueing is usually better left to those with the right equipment, I have tried a few "home" blues and it has never been as good as paying $150 to have it done right. I know I have wasted a lot more than that in time and materials trying to do it myself.

Tty gumoff or another product like it. They contain no acetone and wont harm any finishes but will remove the residue. I have some automotive stuff called wax and grease remover that also works well. If you are around raynham i could give it a try for you

Back
Top Bottom