• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Winchester Model 94 30-30 Ammo Question

I have a older Model 94 that I've had since I was about 12 or 13. My father had one of these, too, and his father before him. Great little rifles.

All that aside, though, I've always loaded this one with flat point or hollow point ammo due to safety issues with the tubular magazine. I recently came into a few boxes of Remington Core-Lokt 150gr soft point ammo in 30-30. While the points are soft lead and rounded, they really aren't as flat as the Winchester flat points I usually load.

Does anyone know if these rounds (Remington #R30301) are safe to load in the tubular magazine of my 94?

Can you snap a pic of the cartridge and post it. Almost all 30/30s are leverguns so most ammo is made with that in mind. I'm not sure but if it's the cartridge I am thinking of it should be o.k. a picture would help...
Walter......

Can you snap a pic of the cartridge and post it. Almost all 30/30s are leverguns so most ammo is made with that in mind. I'm not sure but if it's the cartridge I am thinking of it should be o.k. a picture would help...
Walter......

I also thought that most (if not all) 30-30 ammo was made with tubular magazines in mind, but I wasn't sure about this one. The ones I've used before were either profoundly rounded or flat point. Attached is a picture of one round. I'm sure it's okay, but I just wanted to make sure. The rifle has a lot of sentimental value as well as shooting fun to it.

I've seen ads for some rubber tipped ammo recently... I forget what brand though... It was meant for better balistics for tube fed rifles.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. These look good to go, based on your collected experience.

Though my other rifles are bolt action and semi-auto, I gotta love these lever guns. Light, hard hitting, and ammo available in every mom-and-pop hardware store in America. I really should get mine out of the safe more often.

The interesting thing about lever-action rifles is they are "perceived" by the general public as less menacing. Folks must have memories of watching Chuck Connors on "The Rifleman" (as least the older ones, like me), and don't freak out as much.

In a SHTF or TEOTWAWKI situation, it would certainly get less stares with the lever-action, than if I was walking around with my all-black AK-47 with the forward grip, tactical flashlight, Kobra Red Dot and 30-round mag....

The damn thing does kick like a mule. I'd rather shoot my Garand all day then shoot a dozen .30-30's in my Model 94!

I've used the Remington soft points in mine, by the way, and never had a problem.

Enjoy!

In a SHTF or TEOTWAWKI situation, it would certainly get less stares with the lever-action, than if I was walking around with my all-black AK-47 with the forward grip, tactical flashlight, Kobra Red Dot and 30-round mag....

I've had the same thought. In a SHTF situation, I'd rather something with widely available ammunition than some exotic that leaves me wondering how to transport 2500 rounds of it if one is on the move. The "less threatening" part is a plus, too. Draws less attention and tends to be underestimated in power. While I wouldn't want to go into combat with a six-shot lever action, the 94 is one of the best all-around rifles I've owned.

While I wouldn't want to go into combat with a six-shot lever action, the 94 is one of the best all-around rifles I've owned.

Agreed. That's why I keep the 30-rnd AK mags fully loaded and ready in a military ammo box, next to my russian-issue mag vest and Galati tactical rifle case....

When the going gets tough, and the normal rules of law and civilization go out the window, I'm not going to give a damn what people stare at!

IMO I don't think it makes one bit of difference what kind of gun it
is- to joe moron you'll still be "that guy with a gun". Remember that
in NO, a lot of the guns that were confiscated were often hunting
rifles or duck guns. The authorities didn't care- loaded or unloaded
they were taking all the guns. I bet they stole muskets from people,
too!

I also don't believe that during full blown SHTF that "finding ammunition"
is not a viable option. Remember that everyone and their brothers uncle is
going to either go to the nearest walmart with power and buy all the
ammo that exists, or they're going to steal it all in like the first 24
hours. (eg, all the FUDDS that thought they would never need a gun to
defend themselves, and didn't prepare.) No use worrying about ammo
compatibility if most of the free supply is going to be dried up
anyways. You should have whatever ammo you think you'll need
ahead of time.

I'd rather have a semi, but a 30-30 levergun would be a damned good alternative or
spare. They are fast and handy, and simple to operate... also not a bad rifle to train
"noobs" on should the need arise due to the lack of complexity. The recoil isnt even
that bad, in the grand scheme of things.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom