• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Winchester model 75

dhuze

NES Member
An island surrounded by land on three sides
I won this from an Amoskeag auction a while ago. They took a while to ship it, then I took a while to shoot it. I had a lot of light primer strikes. I went home and cleaned and oiled the bolt without taking it apart because I did not want to drift out the pins that hold the bolt together. I went to the range again today and still had the same problem, so I came home and took the bolt apart. I cleaned everything. Hopefully this will help. I did not go back to the range so I don't know if this will be successful, but I did dry fire it on some empty .22 cases and the strikes look good on all of them.

S0M85hV.jpeg

Nice, did you notice if the firing pin spring looked cut.
22lr target rifles from this time period where not manufactured with light triggers in mind a min 3.5lb trigger was the norm.
Sometimes firing pin springs where cut to get a little more off the trigger pull

Nice, did you notice if the firing pin spring looked cut.
22lr target rifles from this time period where not manufactured with light triggers in mind a min 3.5lb trigger was the norm.
Sometimes firing pin springs where cut to get a little more off the trigger pull

The spring did not look cut, but the trigger pull is well under 3.5lbs. I wouldn't be surprised if it was 1 or even less. It's very light, like barely touch it light.

The spring did not look cut, but the trigger pull is well under 3.5lbs. I wouldn't be surprised if it was 1 or even less. It's very light, like barely touch it light.
Nice … could have a really light spring

75's are nice rifles. Some say they are the "Poor man's 52", but I've heard they can be just as accurate.

I'd soak the bolt in solvent of some sort, or throw it in a ultrasonic cleaner.

75's are nice rifles. Some say they are the "Poor man's 52", but I've heard they can be just as accurate.

I'd soak the bolt in solvent of some sort, or throw it in a ultrasonic cleaner.

I didn't think of putting it in the ultrasonic cleaner. I did drive out the pins to check if maybe the firing pin was broken, and clean it. I haven't got to the range and now I'm feeling crappy and waiting for a Covid result so It probably won't be this weekend either.

The are a nice rifle. I have one that was my dad's.
Do you know the make of the front sight? And do you have all the inserts? Mine has Winchester sights but I only have the target globe for it. The inserts are hard to come by

The are a nice rifle. I have one that was my dad's.
Do you know the make of the front sight? And do you have all the inserts? Mine has Winchester sights but I only have the target globe for it. The inserts are hard to come by
Mine has a Redfield Olympic front sight and only the one insert that's in in.

Back
Top Bottom