Winchester is closing!

truely a sad thing. i guess theyre current product line isnt what appeals to alot of todays gun buyers.

That sucks, as the 92 was one of the best Lever actions made. At least thats what I think. :D

It's a shame as the 94 is a big hunting rifle. And that means that parts are going to collect a premium.

I wonder if I should load up on them while I still can???

US Repeating Arms that makes the rifles and shotguns under the Winchester name has no connection with ammunition production which still falls under Olin. Winchester as an intellectual property name will still be around on ammuntion.

I imagine that Browining will start producing a version of the Model 94 as well as some of the more popular rifles and shotguns. Afterall the Model 94 was designed by John M. Browning. In the past Browning has made copies of the Model 92. It this doesn't happen, I think you might see Uberti make a Model 94 or possibly Henry, the maker located somewhat improbably in Brooklyn, New York that makes lever action .22 and .44 magnum rifles.

It would really be nice if Ruger or one of the other gun companies would pick up the intellectual property rights to the Winchester name and produce rifles and shotguns under that marque. I know that when Bill Ruger was alive, he offered to buy S&W.

If the New Haven plant closes, then it will be a sad day for American gunowners, New Englanders, and history buffs as well as countless spotsmen and hunters throughout the world. Teddy Roosevelt will probably turn over in his grave.

We say buy American, but my last long gun was Italian, I feel guilty even though I have two Winchesters sitting in my gun safe (Model 94 in .45 LC, and a Model 1300 Defender Shotgun).

Colt a pale reflection of its former self, and now Winchester....who would have thought ? :(

Mark

Could it be they spent WAY too much time and money in the last few years researching, producing, and promoting several redundant, unneeded cartridges? I'm thinking about all the WSSM's. What do they REALLY do in the hunting field that a .243, .30-06, and .338 don't already do?

I don't like the idea of Winchester closing shop. I have to believe that that company will live on.
If they do go under, my advice: buy stock in Remington.

Winchester just hasn't kept up. They seem to have been trying to keep on going using just thier namesake on old models. Now there's nothing wrong with the 70 or 94 or their other models, they just haven't really brought anything new to the table for quite some time. Other companies consistantly introduce new models and new designs. What has W done? A few different variations of the 70 and of the 94 - oh boy. The competition for them is just too great to NOT introduce new models. Not new variations of old models but NEW designs.
I also think that with many people now wanting the look as well as the quality, they're looking elsewhere. Today, more and more gun buyers seem to want something of a more modern design or a sleeker or flashy look. The 94 and 70 just don't do this. The folks that want this nostalgia already have them so they aren't continuing to buy more. At the same time, folks are shying away from the "old fashioned" style to more modern designs. In doing so, many of these other manufacturers designs can handle the higer pressure loads that the Winchesters just can't handle. (You gonna shoot a bunch of Garret .45-70's through your 94?)Folks want this high pressure capability so they buy a different brand. Granted, Winchester was to introduce thier new semi-auto rifle this year, but even so, it's just a Browning BAR short/long Trac with a different logo. Old design with a newer look - 1/2 way there.
It's sad to see them go but, hey, just look at Ithica (x2) Dan Wesson, Colt... In a modern market with so much competition, you gotta stay current and competitive or you'll fade away. Looks like Winchester is fading.

derek said:
BigWarden said:
redsoxdoc said:
What does that mean for the WWB Value Packs at Wal-Mart? I assume it is made from the same Winchester
[shock]
Dirigo said:
i think their ammo is a different company
God I hope so ... I go through that shit like water.

+1

Answer from Mark

mark056 said:
US Repeating Arms that makes the rifles and shotguns under the Winchester name has no connection with ammunition production which still falls under Olin. Winchester as an intellectual property name will still be around on ammuntion.
Mark

Could it be they spent WAY too much time and money in the last few years researching, producing, and promoting several redundant, unneeded cartridges? I'm thinking about all the WSSM's. What do they REALLY do in the hunting field that a .243, .30-06, and .338 don't already do?
First, you are mixing up Winchester ammo, which is a different company from US Repeating Arms (Winchester Rifles).

Second, the WSM and and WSSM really are a good idea. They give a much shorter, lighter, and stiffer action. My Kimber rifle in .270 WSM weighs about 5 lbs without a scope. And it is a tack driver with factory ammo.

So are we to expect that our Winchester rifles and shotguns will increase in value? I know that my Colt Anaconda did when colt stopped making them. Went from $495 to close to $1k.
It is a shame, though.

BlkHawk73 said:
Winchester just hasn't kept up. They seem to have been trying to keep on going using just thier namesake on old models. Now there's nothing wrong with the 70 or 94 or their other models, they just haven't really brought anything new to the table for quite some time. Other companies consistantly introduce new models and new designs. What has W done? A few different variations of the 70 and of the 94 - oh boy. The competition for them is just too great to NOT introduce new models. Not new variations of old models but NEW designs.
I also think that with many people now wanting the look as well as the quality, they're looking elsewhere. Today, more and more gun buyers seem to want something of a more modern design or a sleeker or flashy look. The 94 and 70 just don't do this. The folks that want this nostalgia already have them so they aren't continuing to buy more. At the same time, folks are shying away from the "old fashioned" style to more modern designs. In doing so, many of these other manufacturers designs can handle the higer pressure loads that the Winchesters just can't handle. (You gonna shoot a bunch of Garret .45-70's through your 94?)Folks want this high pressure capability so they buy a different brand. Granted, Winchester was to introduce thier new semi-auto rifle this year, but even so, it's just a Browning BAR short/long Trac with a different logo. Old design with a newer look - 1/2 way there.
It's sad to see them go but, hey, just look at Ithica (x2) Dan Wesson, Colt... In a modern market with so much competition, you gotta stay current and competitive or you'll fade away. Looks like Winchester is fading.

And that's what the problem was. And the fact that with all this research they were doing things at a higher price for the same old rifles. So when they were reinterducing things like the 94 and even the 83 it was at a price that wasn't coming close to makers like Rossi and Uberti. Why go after a Winchester when you can get the same design at half the price?

It's a shame that people that aren't going after the US made rifles, but the quality of the imports are really good. Look at GM? Imports are becoming much better cars than the US made cars and sometimes come at a lower price.

US Repeating Arms(Winchester) was not making a very good product IMO. The current Super Shadow was an ugly Mod. 70. Even the current made Mod 94's were not made well. I tried to help a fellow sight in a new 94 this past fall and after a half dozen rounds it started to misfire badly with very light hits or no hits at all on the primers. Something inside had failed. He took it back to the gun shop where he bought it and got a new one but I never heard how that new one worked.

Winchester (USRA) is the GM of the Gun Industry. They used to make a decent product, but decided to not keep up with changes.

Lots of people buy US made firearms. Remington, Savage, Marlin, Ruger, Colt, Glock and Smith and Wesson are all made in the US.

Back
Top Bottom