Winchester 97

I'm thinking about picking up a Winchester 97 in 12 gauge. I found one that needs new wood and I'm thinking about an unfinished stock. My question is how were the original stocks finished? Most of them I've seen have a dark finish on, what I'm assuming is a walnut stock.

I've got one that was also dark and had varnish. I stripped it off, stained it to "Minwax gunstock" and then finished with Tung Oil. The book "Winchester Shotguns" by David Adler has extensive sections on both the 1893 and 1897 with lots of pictures.
When I took the buttplate off mine I found a $2 Silver Certificate inside.

BTW, You'll need a tool (available from Borwnell's) to remove and re-install the forearm.

Last edited:
I've got one that was also dark and had varnish. I stripped it off, stained it to "Minwax gunstock" and then finished with Tung Oil. The book "Winchester Shotguns" by David Adler has extensive sections on both the 1893 and 1897 with lots of pictures.
When I took the buttplate off mine I found a $2 Silver Certificate inside.

BTW, You'll need a tool (available from Borwnell's) to remove and re-install the forearm.

Thanks for the head up on the forearm. The one that I'm looking at is a little rough. The forearm has a crack and the stock has a crack and is missing a chunk out it. It's a long barrel take down model. I'd like to replace the wood for under $100 and take it to a gunsmith to have the barrel cut to 20", crowned, and a bead sight installed. I'll check out Brownells.

Any pictures of how your stock turned out? I'd like it to stay that dark, almost cherry look.

Back
Top Bottom