• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Winchester 94 Finish Restoration

Anyone got any good tips? We've got a 40s era Winchester 94. It's a very nice gun except that somewhere along the way somebody though it would be a good idea to polyurethane the stock and forearm. They did a nice job, bit it's just not right.

Would a chemical stripper and very fine steel wool be the best option here? I'd really like to fix it.

Yup. That will work. Then I'd check out Birchwood Casey Tru Oil stock finish products for the proper finish. Also, Larry Potterfield from Midway has a decent stock refinishing video. You can find it on YouTube.

Forby's works pretty good on poly. Are you sure its poly?
Im trying to remember where i read it...but iirc win used linseed oil up until WWII. Then used "varnish" after ?

post some pics

Last edited:
ahhh, excuse me, i believe midway made "the list" recently. someone got butt hurt on their free shipping promo over labor day.
Fucck it then. Go to Walmart and get some 40 grit sandpaper, a ball peen hammer and a can of green Rustoleum. That will look great too and it will only annoy people who hate Walmart and fine rifle finishes.

Anyone got any good tips? We've got a 40s era Winchester 94. It's a very nice gun except that somewhere along the way somebody though it would be a good idea to polyurethane the stock and forearm. They did a nice job, bit it's just not right.

Would a chemical stripper and very fine steel wool be the best option here? I'd really like to fix it.
Ok this is what i would do.
1. Contact the cody winchester records and see if your serial number had info on file. I just think having the wharehouse info is cool. Collectable or not.
2. Test finish- small dab somewhere not easily seen in case you dont do anything.

A. Denatured Alcohol- will disolve Shellac
B. Lacquer Thinner will make Lacquer gummy and scrap to remove
C. Xylene will usually strip any water based finishes.
D. Straight up paint and varnish remover for most anything else.

Is there checkering?
Other than the finish do you like how the wood looks?
Another thing you can do is carefully sand the finish with say 400-600 grit wet/dry paper and the buff it out. It will loose the glossy look

The first thing i would do is just clean it with warm soapy water.

Thanks everyone for the information. I'm attaching a couple of pics. The rifle dates to 1948 I think. Later this week I'm picking up a 1951 version and I'll compare them.

Attachments

• IMG_1590.JPG
    IMG_1590.JPG
    172.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1589.JPG
    IMG_1589.JPG
    154.2 KB · Views: 63
Thanks everyone for the information. I'm attaching a couple of pics. The rifle dates to 1948 I think. Later this week I'm picking up a 1951 version and I'll compare them.

Looks like a sharp set of timber. I’d want that varnish off, too.

Thanks. My wife came home from work with it one night and the kind of "can I keep it" look that you get from a child who just found a stray kitten.
For $400 I said 'yes'.

I'll post side-by-side pictures next week when I get the 1951 model that her mother just gave us. They'll make a nice pair.

heck I would be tempted to just wet sand it with 600 grit then give it a good buff. Looks good. Im going to gander that's laquer ?

Thanks. My wife came home from work with it one night and the kind of "can I keep it" look that you get from a child who just found a stray kitten.
For $400 I said 'yes'.

I'll post side-by-side pictures next week when I get the 1951 model that her mother just gave us. They'll make a nice pair.

That's a steal! I'm jealous! Both of the gun, and the fact that your wife brings home stray guns. [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom