• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Winchester 70 Sniper- Legit?

Mountain

NES Member
Edit- removed for forum rules

Of course no way in hell I'm interested at that price, but I wonder if even legit. Not picking on the seller, but the barrel looks a little new. Opinions?

Last edited:
I'm no expert but if that's a legitimate USMC rifle I'd say it's one of the Vietnam ones from Jim Land's sniper program which included Carlos Hathcock who I think used one. I remember reading about them in Marine Sniper. He wrote WWII in the description but that's obviously a mistake. He says he has documentation so maybe it's legitimate.

Last edited:
That would be cool if legit. I wonder if Winchester medium heavy contour barrels in .30-06 are very common?

edit- Looking into this a little more, such rifles from U.S. Van Orden/Evaluators Ltd. are supposedly well documented.

Last edited:
That would be cool if legit. I wonder if Winchester medium heavy contour barrels in .30-06 are very common?

I can't say but if I remember right from the book, they were buying the rifles in base PX's and shipping them over. I wish I still had the book so I could check. I'm sure some of the experts here know.

So I found Marine Sniper available online for free and found this excerpt:

"Hathcock fastened the long Unertl scope back on his sniper rifle — a matchconditioned,.30-06 Springfield caliber, Model-70 Winchester anchored atthe receiver with precisely torqued screws that held it in a glass-bedded,Monte Carlo-style stock, above which the finely tuned barrel floated"

I haven't found anything about where they bought them yet but that might be mentioned in One Shot One Kill not Marine Sniper.

Here's the free version:

http://www.sniperselite.com.ar/manuales/Historicos/Marine Sniper.pdf

Last edited:
Roger- removed.

But to that point... it absolutely cracks me up when you see used guns listed in the classifieds listing for MORE than the MSRP of the firearm new in the box.

Or when you see a WTT ad where the guy lists the possible trades for his $500 gun as a Colt Python, Steyer AUG or preban AR.

But to that point... it absolutely cracks me up when you see used guns listed in the classifieds listing for MORE than the MSRP of the firearm new in the box.

Or when you see a WTT ad where the guy lists the possible trades for his $500 gun as a Colt Python, Steyer AUG or preban AR.

Doesn't Gen 4 Glock = Python in Mass? I'm open to trades as long as the Python includes original box. [laugh]

Seems like $12K for a Carlos Hathcock-like Winchester 70 might be a little steep.

Guys on jouster.com are basicly the leading authorities on 1903s, and u.s. sniper rifles (authors of most books lurk there). May be a thread on this already over there

Doesn't Gen 4 Glock = Python in Mass? I'm open to trades as long as the Python includes original box. [laugh]

Seems like $12K for a Carlos Hathcock-like Winchester 70 might be a little steep.

For 12k did the rifle at least come with the original scope and sling? Or were those extra? [rolleyes]

that seller typically lists stuff for at least 2x what it should be. I was watching an M1D he had been listing for either 5K or 7K recently (LMAO!)

Back
Top Bottom