Winchester .22 lr ammo Red box misfires

Normally I only buy CCI but there were two boxes left on the Walmart shelf. They were a little more expensive so I figured no problem thru my Ruger Target pistol. Three jams in half a box and lots of them sounded like they were barely leaving the barrel. I figured I best quit, besides my shooting was way off. Anyone else have problems with this ammo?

Worst 22lr ammo. Contact Winchester with your complaint if you have the misfires that would be great take photos of the misfires and the box make sure all of the production info onto box is photoed. Winchester will take care you.

I’ve never tried the red box, but haven’t had any issues with WWB in any number of calibers. Well, aside from them being dirty.

Last week I was using a 333 round box of 22lr WWB and had six misfires out of 200 rounds in my Ruger MK IV. Have several more boxes and will contact Winchester if I continue to have issues.
All rounds had good looking solid strikes on them.

Worst 22lr ammo. Contact Winchester with your complaint if you have the misfires that would be great take photos of the misfires and the box make sure all of the production info onto box is photoed. Winchester will take care you.

By sending you another box of their crappy ammo....................

I didn’t even know there was a Win red box. I generally stay away from Win and Remington. The one thing I do like about them is when someone gives me their once fired brass cases.

I didn’t even know there was a Win red box. I generally stay away from Win and Remington. The one thing I do like about them is when someone gives me their once fired brass cases.
They fool you with the red box because it looks like cci with the 100 rounds and the sliding top. Post new town is was all I found one day. The worst

That basic i think it’s red and blue box winchester is crap. i’ve had good luck with the silverbox Winchester X and dynapoints though. not match but fine for woodchucks one the garden and raccoons in the chicken coop.

They won't send you ammo they will send you a coupon for ammo and you don't have to purchase 22lr but you will have to purchase Winchester products

Remington center-fire brass is actually pretty decent. That's all I use for 357 magnum reloads..

I re-use the few plastic winchester boxes that I have for loose bulk ammo so its easy to count out 10 rounds, I've had bad luck with the ammo itself though, will never buy Win rimfire again

Remingturd is actually worse than Winchester.

The Remington military packaged .22 stuff works well. I've shot about 10K of it in various rifles and pistols with no issues.

It is the only Remington ammo I have.....I dislike all their centerfire stuff.....especially the 9mm.

The Remington military packaged .22 stuff works well. I've shot about 10K of it in various rifles and pistols with no issues.

It is the only Remington ammo I have.....I dislike all their centerfire stuff.....especially the 9mm.
I have some Rem 1994 mil contract 22lr I bought from the CMP at $130/5000 shipped. Its really good for the price

Last week I was using a 333 round box of 22lr WWB and had six misfires out of 200 rounds in my Ruger MK IV. Have several more boxes and will contact Winchester if I continue to have issues.
All rounds had good looking solid strikes on them.
You could ask them what the standards are for testing. That floor sweepings loose stuff probably has a acceptable missfire rate of 6%+
Dont even ask them about accuracy specs.
I posted here somewhete about CCI SV and from their 24” accuracy test barrel they said a lot would be rejected if the average group size exceeded 2” at 50 yards
Now what happens to that rejected ammo?

Anyway Winchester is owned by Herstal Group , dies winchester still make its own 22lr ammo or fo they source it out?

Last edited:
Winchester rimfire ammo sucks....imo

I can't even fit Winchester 22lr in the cylinders of my revolvers.....

Just shitty qc
This. I had nothing but trouble with the Winchester white box and Win M22 in my pistols and rifles.

Winchester bulk .22 in the white box is the worst that I have ever used. Still have a few boxes left, uggh..

I keep that stuff set aside with some Thunderbolt.

Remington Thunderbolt is complete crap, some of the worst stuff I've ever used.
I remember when we had the big .22 drought during the reign of King Barry, I stumbled onto supply of Thunderbolt at a non-rapist price, I turned it down.
The only stuff I've ever used that was worse than Thunderbolt was some Mexican made Aguilla. The brass was paper thin and the case heads kept blowing out where the firing pin struck the rim. Lots of case splits too and failures to extract in my semi-autos and lever actions. The revolvers didn't like it either, they were spitting brass bits out the side into my trigger finger. The only guns it worked OK in were the bolt actions and Contenders.

You could ask them what the standards are for testing. That floor sweepings loose stuff probably has a acceptable missfire rate of 6%+
Dont even ask them about accuracy specs.
I posted here somewhete about CCI SV and from their 24” accuracy test barrel they said a lot would be rejected if the average group size exceeded 2” at 50 yards
Now what happens to that rejected ammo?

Anyway Winchester is owned by Herstal Group , dies winchester still make its own 22lr ammo or fo they source it out?

Winchester Firearms is part of FN Herstal. Winchester ammunition is still made by Olin Corporation.

I too fell for the mini-mag/SuperX swap. I Haven’t had any issues out of my 10/22 though. Maybe I got lucky? I also like their SuperX rifled slugs. Stout, accurate (for a slug) and reliable, though comparing 12gauge ammo and .22LR ammo is an apple/orange type of comparison. I tend to expect a few hiccups from rimfire ammo (even the good stuff) as being part of the deal with 3, 4, 5, and 6 cent rds.

Back
Top Bottom