• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Winchester 1917

btnh6668

NES Member
Hi, i have a model 1917 winchester in Pretty good condition. I rarely use it and am going to sell it. Can anyone give me an idea of what to ask. Online i see anywhere from 500-1000. 20150325_174712.jpg

I don't think $1000 is realistic, and $500 is on the low side. Maybe $850 tops if unmolested with an excellent bore, matching parts, proper stock markings, and a matching bayonet.

Yours looks pretty nice from the pic but the stock looks refinished. Might just be the camera. Perhaps $600 to $750, depending upon condition and where/when made?

edit- Oops, Winchester in the title. $650 to $750?

No. Refin. You don’t say whether it matches, but with a stock like that it’s lost its collector value anyway. You won’t get top dollar from any knowledgeable buyer.

Nice rifle, though. Take it out and shoot it!

Winchester name and sanded stock kind of even out...$650 ish. You might get $800 on GunBroker.

BTW your sling is on wrong.[wink]

t

Attachments

• IMG_4233.jpg
    IMG_4233.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 25
I bought it like that. Only shot it once to make sure it functioned properly. Been sitting in my safe for 3 years now. Ive only touched it to oil. From the few parts i saw, it looks like its matched #s. Guess i got to do more homework before i sell it.

$750 ish. As Mountain said a lot depends on the small parts, barrel condition, etc.

As an FYI these rifles aren't number matching like a european rifle, instead the small parts are marked by maker (R, W, and E).

too high, you can find an un-refinished one for less.

I actually think you would easily get $800-850 shipped for that rifle on the CMP forum. There are a bunch of guys there who have Remington's and Eddystones, and they are always looking for a Winchester to round out a collection. On this forum, I agree that $700-750 would be about tops.

I actually think you would easily get $800-850 shipped for that rifle on the CMP forum. There are a bunch of guys there who have Remington's and Eddystones, and they are always looking for a Winchester to round out a collection. On this forum, I agree that $700-750 would be about tops.

but the refinish kills much of the interest unless the price is right

not for me...i'm buying it so I can shoot the piss out of it.

ETA...the price is fair for what I want it for and meeting up with him this weekend if all goes well. anyone here that knows me knows this rifle will see some use and probably get banged around a little anyway. i just like milsurp shooters, and this will fill a void in the collection so I can say to myself the weekend before a CMP vintage match, "which awesome piece of history do I feel like shooting this time?" It's basically the only thing that REALLY makes me happy these days :D

Last edited:

ETA...the price is fair for what I want it for and meeting up with him this weekend if all goes well. anyone here that knows me knows this rifle will see some use and probably get banged around a little anyway. i just like milsurp shooters, and this will fill a void in the collection so I can say to myself the weekend before a CMP vintage match, "which awesome piece of history do I feel like shooting this time?" It's basically the only thing that REALLY makes me happy these days :D
This is why I don't buy "nice" guns. Wanted this myself for same reasons but had no real way of meeting up.

This is why I don't buy "nice" guns. Wanted this myself for same reasons but had no real way of meeting up.

My second message to the seller when I saw you posted in the thread...for the record:

"did Mac1911 show interest in it? if so, then i'll back off. He's kind of a mentor of mine in the shooting community and I won't fight with him over it if he wants it. if he's not genuinely interested, I am. my availability is non existent this weekend because I have USMC Reserve drill in New Haven (live in Worcester), but maybe some day or night next week...or maybe even on my way back from drill on Sunday?"

...just so you know I wasn't stepping on your dick :D

the seller told me it was going to be a stretch to make your schedules meet up and the stars would have to align just right, so I figured one of us might as well get it at least.

-Mike

My second message to the seller when I saw you posted in the thread...for the record:

"did Mac1911 show interest in it? if so, then i'll back off. He's kind of a mentor of mine in the shooting community and I won't fight with him over it if he wants it. if he's not genuinely interested, I am. my availability is non existent this weekend because I have USMC Reserve drill in New Haven (live in Worcester), but maybe some day or night next week...or maybe even on my way back from drill on Sunday?"

...just so you know I wasn't stepping on your dick :D

the seller told me it was going to be a stretch to make your schedules meet up and the stars would have to align just right, so I figured one of us might as well get it at least.

-Mike

Don't sweat that stuff- grab it so it stays in the 'family'. I have a lead dipped Win M1 that DW has first right of refusal if I decide to sell or can buy if he wants it. Nice or interesting milsurps tend to go more quickly so as you say, one of you may as well have it.

Don't sweat that stuff- grab it so it stays in the 'family'. I have a lead dipped Win M1 that DW has first right of refusal if I decide to sell or can buy if he wants it. Nice or interesting milsurps tend to go more quickly so as you say, one of you may as well have it.
Now all we need is someone looking to offload a shooter K98 :cool:

You're gonna love it, they are awesome shooters! And you can use any ammo you get your hands on since they're built like freakin' elephant guns. They'd probably eat an 8mm round without blowing up lol

Well, I got it! She's pretty ugly on the inside (2.5 at the muzzle and pitted as a MF'r original barrel) but who knows, she might shoot ok? Only one way to find out!

Eddystone Bolt/Safety/Front Sight, Remington cocking piece...haven't taken it apart yet to look at the guts because I want to put a few rounds through it so I can 'shoot out' some of the garbage in the barrel and see how bad it really is. I've run about 20 patches through with Hoppes and JB bore paste and there's just SO much coming out of there...figure shooting it and running a patch or 50 down a 'warm' barrel might help speed up the process.

I'm going to take it out on this miserable day just to put 10-20 rds of HXP through her...maybe some other junk reloads I have sitting around...see if I can get on paper at least?

Well, I got it! She's pretty ugly on the inside (2.5 at the muzzle and pitted as a MF'r original barrel) but who knows, she might shoot ok? Only one way to find out!

Eddystone Bolt/Safety/Front Sight, Remington cocking piece...haven't taken it apart yet to look at the guts because I want to put a few rounds through it so I can 'shoot out' some of the garbage in the barrel and see how bad it really is. I've run about 20 patches through with Hoppes and JB bore paste and there's just SO much coming out of there...figure shooting it and running a patch or 50 down a 'warm' barrel might help speed up the process.

I'm going to take it out on this miserable day just to put 10-20 rds of HXP through her...maybe some other junk reloads I have sitting around...see if I can get on paper at least?
I picked up a Polish m44 carbine that was a sewer pipe bore. I knew it when I bought it and only paid $130 for it (did not have the bayonet either which I bought online and added later). I ran a few patches through it and it was so cruddy o just decided to take it to the club and clean it out with boooolits! Took her home......Cleaned her up with x40 bore cleaner and shitload of clp and wore out 3 brass brushes......yeah she's still pitted but at lease the rust is out. Turns out she shoots a tighter group than my m38 that has a nice shiny bore! If your buying "shooters" rather than collectors.....don't be afraid of a little rust.....as long as you know what you have and pay accordingly .

But yes.....you can "knock the rust" loose with bullets

Last edited:
That's the plan!

all of 15 degrees and I still took her out and she actually groups pretty OK for an old beat up whore of a rifle!

first shots at 25 yards (hey, i had to see if i was even on the paper with the battle sight)

IMG_1125[1].JPG IMG_1126[1].JPG

not too shabby! so i figured, lets take 'er out to a hunnit! (hundred fifteen yards, to be correct...my range is weird)

IMG_1128[1].JPG IMG_1160[1].JPG

20 minutes outside and I couldn't feel my fingers or the tip of my dingaling, so that was all for today. I know...'if I were at belleau wood I'd be pissing ice cubes'...but i'm not, so I won't. Those guys are more of men and Marines than I think I'll ever be.

overall, i'm pleasantly surprised at how well it shoots for having such a pitted bore! she's certainly worth hanging on to for the time being at least. i think i'm going to do my best to mimic the dark color these originally came with for the stock...she just doesn't look right with such a light color.

what's odd to me is that every source I've seen says these things shoot REALLY high at 100 yards with the battle sight, but I found it to be right on the money for the most part. not sure how much the wind had to do with my groups today (especially given that it was only just over a hundred yards) but i'll definitely be waiting to drift the front sight at all until I take it out without so much wind (the gusts were insane at WP&R today!)

some may think I overpaid because it's so mismatched and the stock is sanded down, but not even accounting for the pitted bore...I still think what I got for what I paid was pretty fair...not a steal, but I didn't get porked. we can't all be as lucky as dw and get a free $200 barrel w/installation off a GB gimme...bastard (oh...i mean that in the nicest way). but hey, maybe mine will serve me just fine the way she sits. maybe i'll put a criterion on it. maybe i'll out shoot Franko this year o_O

maybe not.

Rifles can shoot well with rough bores.
Don't get to crazy with getting all the shit out.
Get some rubber stoppers and plug the muzzle end fill the bore with some sort of penetrating oil. I like kroil fill it and let it sit. Drain and save the kroil its got plenty of life in it. I then wrap some of that copper choreboy https://www.walmart.com/ip/Chore-Bo...0783&wl11=online&wl12=850206007&wl13=&veh=sem around a worn brush and scrub...I flood the bore with cheap brake cleaner at that point. I have been using break free foaming bore cleaner for years just seems to work. Sweets and barnes copper remover does great also . I have all but gave up on any brush. The only ones that seem to hold up re the Brownells line stainless with the short stiff bristles.

Back
Top Bottom