Win a Free Seat for the Defensive Pistol Skills Class in April, 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimConway

Instructor
Forum members
Neshooters is pleased to announce a contest to win a free seat for a seat in our Suarez International - Defensive Pistol Skills course to be held at the Westford Sportsmen's Club, in Westford, MA.

We decided to offer a free seat in the course because of the support that you all gave us in our recent survey about why people that carry a firearm do not get training. Earlier this week, I announced the survey results with the main reason not to get training was cost. As a simple THANK YOU to the forum, we decided to offer this free seat.

Requirements:
- Paid NES Member
- Holder of LTC-A/ALP or equivalent (for those in other states). [Means no permit required for VT residents.]
- Certifying that the applicant has had no prior formal training other than meeting state requirements for a LTC/CCW.
- Carry a firearm all or some of the time for personal protection.
- Agreement to write a review of said course, positive or negative and post it on NES within 30 days of taking said course.
- All submittals to be sent to [email protected] .
- Dates for submittal Deadline: April 14th for this offer (training dates: April 28 & 29), with final decision by the judges by April 21st.
- Offer posted in Training forum as an enticement for more to pay up and join NES.
- Judges are not eligible to win.
- Judges decisions are final.
- Failure to meet any of the requirements will result in retraction of these offers and another person may be chosen instead.

Specific Requirements:
- 200 word or less essay
Essay must answer the following questions (proper English grammar and spelling do count):
o Why do they want to attend the class?
o What they hope to learn?
o Why they should be selected?
o Why I need and want this training and what this course would mean to me for personal protection? No transfer of free seat to any other person
- This is a Non-Certificate seat (meaning they will not receive a Suarez International training certificate).
- Must be able to take the Defensive Pistol Skills class on April 28 & 29, 2007 at the Westford Sportsmen’s Club.

The Judges will be our own esteemed moderators, Lynne, Lens and Tony D. Neshooters members will have no voice in the selection of the winner

Good Luck to all of you

EDITED BY LENS-MOD (and Judge) on 4/12/07:

Regrettably we need to add one more qualification to this contest - All entrants MUST be at least 21 yrs old. Sorry but due to MGL and after discussion this morning with Chief Ron Glidden, we have determined that anyone in possession of a handgun in MA under age 21 is subject to arrest, even if they possess a CCW License from their own home state.

Last edited by a moderator:
Boys and girls,

This is an awesome opportunity to receive some excellent training and instruction with only the cost of ammo. If your only reason for not receiving good weapons training is cost - here's your chance.

I also want thank Jim Conway and NEShooters for offering this opportunity to our memebers. I am also humbled for being asked to be a judge in this contest.

Class hours

On Saturday, we ask you to be there at 8:30 AM to handle the paperwork and start the course at 9:00 AM. The class should end about 5:00 or 5:30 PM.

On Sunday, town ordinances stop us from shooting until 1:00 PM, so we start the class at about 10:30 AM and cover the lecture subjects, work on dry firing and always have an open question and answer sesion. The class should end somewhere between 5:00 and 5:30 PM

Come on folks! This is an awesome offer. Let's get the keyboards working. [smile] (and we won't toss your submission out if you spell something wrong. [smile] [laugh] )

We are also relaxing the "never have trained before" requirement somewhat.

You are STILL ELIGIBLE if you only have any/all of the following levels of training:

- NRA Training (for LTC or otherwise),
- LE Training,
- Military Training,
- Personal Coaching by a trainer,
- A course required to obtain your LTC/FID/CCW.

Your entry does NOT have to be an essay. It can be "bullet points" that simply addresses the issues in the Top Post here. As long as it is clear and addresses these issues, you are complying with the requirements.

So, that should open the field considerably. Let's see those entries roll in!

Folks,

The official deadline is Sat. and to date not one single entry. The number one reason gave for not seeking formal training was cost. That factor was eliminated and the biggest investment for this class is 15 minutes of your time to address a couple of questions. I just don't get it. Are there any particular reasons why you would not want to attend a free class - assuming you meet the legal requirements?

(2 Days) 8+ hours each day on a weekend --- my only free time.

Its an awesome class and give-away but 2 - 8+ hours days with travel is not too inviting sorry.

Please Address the Details Required

Less than a week left to apply for this most generous offer.

To be eligible, BE SURE TO ADDRESS EACH POINT IN THE TOP POST!

We expect to see a statement that starts with (not counted in the <200 wd essay/bullet points):

- That you are a Paid Member (username),
- That you have a LTC-A/ALP (or "None" for restriction) or equivalent for other states if not a MA Resident, [You will be REQUIRED to show this at the class or you will be denied the free seat.]
- That you carry ALL or SOME of the time (please explain),
- Agreement to write a review (good, bad or ugly) and post it within 30 days if selected,
- etc.
- THEN the essay/bullet points addressing the other items required per Top Post.

To date, we have seen NO submittals that comply with the above.

Let's snap to here, you don't get many opportunities for real training for free just for an hour or so of your time in meeting these requirements.

Less than a week left to apply for this most generous offer.

To be eligible, BE SURE TO ADDRESS EACH POINT IN THE TOP POST!

We expect to see a statement that starts with (not counted in the <200 wd essay/bullet points):

- That you are a Paid Member (username),
- That you have a LTC-A/ALP (or "None" for restriction) or equivalent for other states if not a MA Resident, [You will be REQUIRED to show this at the class or you will be denied the free seat.]
- That you carry ALL or SOME of the time (please explain),
- Agreement to write a review (good, bad or ugly) and post it within 30 days if selected,
- etc.
- THEN the essay/bullet points addressing the other items required per Top Post.

To date, we have seen NO submittals that comply with the above.

Let's snap to here, you don't get many opportunities for real training for free just for an hour or so of your time in meeting these requirements.
Crap, I didnt see this till after I submitted my essay, I hope I met the requirements. I know I didn't write that I would do a review, I thought that was just required lol.

All facts must be articulated to be considered.

Just send an amended version to the special Email address before the due date.

PLEASE CHECK THE TOP POST:
I had to amend the requirements today.

All entrants have to be at least 21 years old.

I spoke with Chief Ron Glidden on this matter earlier today. Even though we'd give docs as a "competition", Ron's take is that this is a gray area and if anyone is stopped in MA and possesses a handgun, he/she is very likely to get jammed up (arrested and charged). Thus, he recommends that we restrict the free seat to someone 21 or over if the course is in MA (this course is in Westford), even if the contestant has a CCW permit from his/her home state.

I'm sorry that this is necessary, but we don't want to contribute to any NES'r getting arrested and prosecuted. Hopefully everyone will understand.

PLEASE CHECK THE TOP POST:
I had to amend the requirements today.

All entrants have to be at least 21 years old.

I spoke with Chief Ron Glidden on this matter earlier today. Even though we'd give docs as a "competition", Ron's take is that this is a gray area and if anyone is stopped in MA and possesses a handgun, he/she is very likely to get jammed up (arrested and charged). Thus, he recommends that we restrict the free seat to someone 21 or over if the course is in MA (this course is in Westford), even if the contestant has a CCW permit from his/her home state.

I'm sorry that this is necessary, but we don't want to contribute to any NES'r getting arrested and prosecuted. Hopefully everyone will understand.
Daaam, looks like im out.

Regrettably true.

The contest is now closed. Thank you to those who entered, and good luck.

The judges will be taking all the entries out of the mayonnaise jar stored under the porch and guarded by Smith & Wesson and reviewing them this week.

Final results will be posted by next Saturday.

I am closing this thread.

And the Winner Is . . .

Sorry for the delay in posting, but due to flooding and some other difficulties, posting the results took a little longer than expected.

The winner has already been notified directly by Email.

The WINNER IS . . . <drum-roll please>
gjstcruz

Congratulations!

We hope you enjoy the class, learn a few things, and share that knowledge with others here by writing the review. [UPDATE: Please start a new thread with the Review. I forgot that we closed this thread and it's probably best to create a new one for the review.]

We thank all those that entered and regret that everyone couldn't be selected.

The Judges! [wink]
TonyD, Lynne & LenS

Our gracious thanks to Jim Conway and NE Shooters for their generosity in donating this seat to a member of NES.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom