Wilson Combat Mags - Review: Impressed

Dirtypacman

NES Door Greeter
I just wanted to take out a moment and take about the Wilson Combat Mags. I was in the hunt for additional magazines for my S&W 1911PD and had not been impressed with the Chip McCormicks that I had gotten. I looked at a couple of other makers but they all seemed a bit flimsy. I did my research and found Wilson Combat had some of the best reviews both here and through other sources. Knowing you get what you pay for I expected them to be pretty nice but when I opened my package and first handled the Wilson Combat #47D I was extremely impressed. Solid construction, perfect fit, nice follower, all around a very well built mag. I would have to say they seem more durable then the mags that S&W includes with their gun. They may be a bit heavier overall then my OEM's but by very little if at all.

I just wanted to take a moment and let others that may be shopping for 1911 magazines that they should give Wilson Combat a try and if you follow my recommendation make it your first try. Enjoy!

+1 here I think I have used every type there is, Wilson being the most reliable and best for sure. I too have had some troubles with the Chip McCormack ones...

Try a Wilson ETM. It is better than the 47D, IMHO.

Tripp Cobra mags are much better than the current production Wilson mags.

I actually prefer mags from Check mate Industries. Nice mags, metal follower rather than plastic, removable base plate, stainless construction, well made with smooth snagfree interior, and much better pricing when you can find them. The last time I bought I believe they were $25 each with free shipping

Tripp Cobra mags are much better than the current production Wilson mags.

I actually prefer mags from Check mate Industries. Nice mags, metal follower rather than plastic, removable base plate, stainless construction, well made with smooth snagfree interior, and much better pricing when you can find them. The last time I bought I believe they were $25 each with free shipping

That's a good price. Thanks for the heads up on some other options.

DP - Go Wilson and never go back. Also, I have some mec gar mags that worked, but would not lock the slide. I put wilson followers and springs in them, they now work flawlessly.

Also, can you detail for us what specific issues you have had with your Chip McCormick mags?

If you come to an IDPA match at Harvard, I'll let you borrow one of mine.

I am at harvard often but shoot IPSC/USPSA. I needed the extra 1911 mag for the Military Reproduction shoot coming up in a couple months.
Hopefully I can catch you sometime when I have my 1911 with me as I shoot Glocks in my competitions.

DP - Go Wilson and never go back. Also, I have some mec gar mags that worked, but would not lock the slide. I put wilson followers and springs in them, they now work flawlessly.

Also, can you detail for us what specific issues you have had with your Chip McCormick mags?

Thanks for the input. The problem I had with the McCormicks was slide closure and fit seemed a bit off compared to my factory mags.

I didn't contact him. All my Wilson mags worked the first time.

Shame on you. Any maker can have a bad mag. I had trouble with Wilson. I found wilson stands behind their product as does Virgil Tripp.

My reason for posting the info was from personal experience with several bad Wilson magazines. I had them replaced and sold them.

I find Wilsons wear their springs very quickly. I had to stop using them for my carry Officer's 1911 (right before I stopped using the gun, too).

The ETMs seem to last longer, and I haven't failed one yet.

I also use Tripps.

Wilsons are great as long as your gun likes them. One of mine didn't so I sold the last few I had to Atilla, and they work great in his SW1911.

-Mike

Thanks for posting this review. I was looking for mags for the Remington R1911 R1 Enhanced, and the folks at GFA recommended the Wilson Combat. I read some good reviews, and ended up getting 2 of the 10 round and 2 of the 8 round ETMs. GFA is price competitive, but call first since they don't stock too many at any given time.

They do work great, and no feed issues, which I do have with one of the stock mags. I do need to seat them firmly on occasion, but since they, and the gun, are new, I'm not drawing any conclusions just yet.

Dirty, next time we catch up at Harvard, you can give them a try. I have something going Sunday morning but will make a best effort to come by HSC for a bit right afterwards if you're there for the swap meet.

I have been using Metal Form mags in my 1911s for many years with no problems. My favorite is the eight round SS model with the orange polymer follower. Metal Form makes the tubes (if not the whole mags) for Colt, so quality is excellent. I wouldn't swap my 20 year old Metal Form mags for ANY of the current "wonder mags".

Ironically, CMC also uses Metal Form mag tubes. They can be easily identified because they are one of the few mags to have a weld running up the middle of the back of the tube (check your stock Colt mag). I think the problem with CMC mags is the spring steel follower. Chip is using the follower designed by Charlie Kelsey and used in the early Devel eight round mags. The spring steel follower was supposed to collapse to allow enough room for the last (eighth) round. The design worked but later eight round mag designers went to polymer followers which seem to be more reliable.

Kelsey's Devel eight round mags were plagued with problems due to poor design and materials. I am familiar with the story as he was building my Gammon for me at this time and we had several phone conversations on the subject. He was the one who turned me on to Metal Form mags. Too bad as Charlie was one of the finest gunsmiths and innovators of this time but just couldn't catch a break. He died pennyless, murdered with his body burned and left in a ditch.

Anyone interested in Kelsey and his Devel customs should check out Wayne Novak's web site for some beatiful pistols.

Sure. They don't work.

CMCs work fine in some guns in some applications, or at least that's been my direct experience. Over the years I have launched thousands of jam free .45 ACP FMJ rounds with them and killed countless bowling pins.

The CMC 7 round Officer's mod mags I had, also worked superbly with a bunch of different types of ammo.

I will say this though... they WILL punish you if they get dirty enough, but since the 1911 is generally that sensitive, this sort of goes without saying.

There are lots of people who had problems with them though, so I don't know if it's just
bad runs, poor QC, or gun problems/incompatibility. Or all of the above... who knows.

-Mike

I have 8 Chip M mags two 10rds the others are 8rds. All of them work flawlessly in both my 2009 S&W 1911 and my 1973 Colt Model 70. I've never had a mag related failure with either gun. CM mag's are all I'd ever buy unless they ever give me a reason to change. I think some guns like some mags better than others. Close inspection of my CM mags reveals a well made product. The stainless is good heavy gauge and the springs are great. I keep two of the mags loaded all the time. Going on three years loaded and both still work like new even with having their springs compressed for well over two years.

After M1911 recommending them somewhere here, I bought some ETM's a few months ago, and will never buy another mag for my 1911 again. Awesome magazines.

I like the factory S&W mags in my 1911. I have 8 of them. Also two Wilson 8 round mags, they work fine also.

Who makes the factory S&W these days?

Recently they were Wilson 47Ds, more or less, but I've seen ACT/Novaks as well. The ones that came with my Dad's E-series look like some kind of Wilson mag.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom