Wilson Combat introduces the “hardest hitting AR carbine ever produced” in .458 HAM’R

mikeyp

NES Member
Wilson Combat introduces the "hardest hitting AR carbine ever produced" in .458 HAM'R

2018.01.04B.jpg

I was wondering if anyone would work up some sort of monster cartridge for the AR10 / 308 platform. This is really impressive- no chance for DIY, but impressive. The .458 SOCOM was an easy conversion and hits plenty hard- I'm good with that.

edit-

Here's some slo-mo footage of that cartridge blowing stuff up, including pig heads from the local butcher. Fair warning, if you are squeamish, you'll [puke]. If you are twisted like me, it's [laugh] time.

Last edited:
I was wondering if anyone would work up some sort of monster cartridge for the AR10 / 308 platform. This is really impressive- no chance for DIY, but impressive. The .458 SOCOM was an easy conversion and hits plenty hard- I'm good with that.

edit-

Here's some slo-mo footage of that cartridge blowing stuff up, including pig heads from the local butcher. Fair warning, if you are squeamish, you'll [puke]. If you are twisted like me, it's [laugh] time.

Look at all those free Americans enjoy that rifle. [angry]

Wait. It's an AR10 with an AR15 magwell. And a flight path like a baseball. But it can stop a buffalo or a truck, so we're all wet.

Am I just not the target market?

edit-

Actually I am less impressed after watching the video. The one with the pumpkin has a massive exit wound is troubling. Why would a round like that create an exit wound through a vegetable

Actually I am less impressed after watching the video. The one with the pumpkin has a massive exit wound is troubling. Why would a round like that create an exit wound through a vegetable

Looked like a few of the pumpkins were filled with water for maximum effect. The pig head shots were cool.

Wait. It's an AR10 with an AR15 magwell. And a flight path like a baseball. But it can stop a buffalo or a truck, so we're all wet.

Am I just not the target market?

All these custom and one-off modifications plus a unique mag provide an extra 200 fps for the HAM'R vs. the SOCOM. It's an exercise in 'moar is bettah', so if that's what flips your switch that will be the attraction. Maybe you can not only tag grizzlies, you can tag polar bears as well? Or narwhals? I like the HAM'R and would not hesitate to shoot one if given the chance, but no thanks to all the special, one-off features.

If you can settle for 200 fps less, driving the same hefty projectiles- the .458 SOCOM uses all standard AR components except for barrel and bolt. Receivers and bolt carrier are standard and it even uses standard AR-15 mags. Of course the rounds are huge and a 30 round 5.56 mag will only hold 10 rounds of .458.

It's the expanding bullet selection + a ridiculous amount of energy doing this. If you notice, the pumpkins filled with water are exploding. I think the pumpkins without water have all that wet gunk inside and that is helping to expand the bullets. I've taken my .458 to the Monadnock pumpkin shoots since I built it and it is the next most devastating thing to pumpkins after the 12 ga wax/shot loads. On medium size (head size to slightly bigger) the pumpkins blow up without any water in them.

There's a pretty extensive variety of .458 bullets available including solids and FMJ's up to 600 grains! I don't think hard cast or FMJ's are going to leave much of an exit wound in a veggie.

I'm mostly loading 300 gr Hornady HP's and they are not only devastating they are quite accurate to at least 100 yards. I took a bud who is full time guard out to the range to shoot the .458 and at 50 yards we put many rounds into the same hole. When we went to grab the target we saw that we had blasted a tunnel almost 4 feet through wet sand and were beginning to hit the railroad ties at the back of the berm. Recovered bullets had huge expansion but were intact.

007-8900.jpg
What's funny is that I don't see record of anyone using the 300 gr HP's before me, but now there are a couple ammo manufacturers offering cartridges with the 300 HP. I know that bullet shape looks like it would be a PITA to feed in a AR, but actually it's trouble free.

Been seeing this for awhile. My opinion is that Wilson couldn't get the .458 SOCOM down quite right so they decided to go this route.

I'll stick with my .458 SOCOM. It's more than sufficient for the job of dropping about anything inside 200 yards.

All these custom and one-off modifications plus a unique mag provide an extra 200 fps for the HAM'R vs. the SOCOM. It's an exercise in 'moar is bettah', so if that's what flips your switch that will be the attraction. Maybe you can not only tag grizzlies, you can tag polar bears as well? Or narwhals? I like the HAM'R and would not hesitate to shoot one if given the chance, but no thanks to all the special, one-off features.

If you can settle for 200 fps less, driving the same hefty projectiles- the .458 SOCOM uses all standard AR components except for barrel and bolt. Receivers and bolt carrier are standard and it even uses standard AR-15 mags. Of course the rounds are huge and a 30 round 5.56 mag will only hold 10 rounds of .458.

It's the expanding bullet selection + a ridiculous amount of energy doing this. If you notice, the pumpkins filled with water are exploding. I think the pumpkins without water have all that wet gunk inside and that is helping to expand the bullets. I've taken my .458 to the Monadnock pumpkin shoots since I built it and it is the next most devastating thing to pumpkins after the 12 ga wax/shot loads. On medium size (head size to slightly bigger) the pumpkins blow up without any water in them.

There's a pretty extensive variety of .458 bullets available including solids and FMJ's up to 600 grains! I don't think hard cast or FMJ's are going to leave much of an exit wound in a veggie.

I'm mostly loading 300 gr Hornady HP's and they are not only devastating they are quite accurate to at least 100 yards. I took a bud who is full time guard out to the range to shoot the .458 and at 50 yards we put many rounds into the same hole. When we went to grab the target we saw that we had blasted a tunnel almost 4 feet through wet sand and were beginning to hit the railroad ties at the back of the berm. Recovered bullets had huge expansion but were intact.

007-8900.jpg
What's funny is that I don't see record of anyone using the 300 gr HP's before me, but now there are a couple ammo manufacturers offering cartridges with the 300 HP. I know that bullet shape looks like it would be a PITA to feed in a AR, but actually it's trouble free.
Don't get me wrong - if someone shows up with one and offers me a shot, I'll totally throw cash at them for ammo, because I'm sure it's fun. I was just curious if there was something else I'm missing, but it sounds like I basically get it.

Hell, if I were against making things for the fun of it, I wouldn't be giving my Sundays to a giant robot.

They're using Barnes TTSX. There are slow mo videos showing those rounds opening while passing thru an apple. They open up very quickly for maximum energy dump. Very accurate as well.

Been seeing this for awhile. My opinion is that Wilson couldn't get the .458 SOCOM down quite right so they decided to go this route.

I'll stick with my .458 SOCOM. It's more than sufficient for the job of dropping about anything inside 200 yards.

I’m curious what they didn’t get right? I have a Wilson in 458 SOCOM and it functions perfect.

Back
Top Bottom