• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Will this effect accuracy? Noticed this pulling it out of storage...

Between new baby and new job its been crazy busy in my life so I have not touched my rifles in close to a year. I just today pulled out one that I have been handloading for with a lot of success (consistent 1/2MOA groups) and I noticed that the bore was not as shiny as when I put it away (well oiled with CLP). I ran a dry patch through it and a lot of green came out from what I assume is the copper oxidation from what was in the barrel.

If I give this a deep clean and remove all copper and everything else do you suspect that there is other oxidation damage? I saw somewhere that even if there is no rust the copper oxidizing can pit the steel?

I'm thinkin if I do the deep clean and get some fresh copper in there I'll be back to normal, no?

You wont know until you try it. I would do what you suggest with a good foaming copper remover. I think you'll be ok, but only way to be sure is to clean it and then hit the range.

I could be wrong, but I think its copper fouling from the copper jacket. Clean it and go to the range, clean it really good after your done. Oh, and let the cleaner sit for a few minutes.

i just cleaned copper jacket fouling from a rifle recently with ballistol, first time I used it. saturated a patch and soaked the barrel, let it sit for a hour or two and then cleaned. came out the balls. wish I had the excuse of a new baby & job.....i'm just lazy.

Skip cleaning. Go shoot it. Then clean it a little. See if accuracy was affected.

I’ve run into this before with my Garand and 1903 after shooting over the summer in hot humid weather. Then tossing them in the climate controlled safe. Months later I saw all kinds of greenish fouling in the bore. Evidently the copper was oxidizing. Was easily removed and didn’t affect anything as far as I could tell.

i just cleaned copper jacket fouling from a rifle recently with ballistol, first time I used it. saturated a patch and soaked the barrel, let it sit for a hour or two and then cleaned. came out the balls. wish I had the excuse of a new baby & job.....i'm just lazy.
Funny how mineral oil and alcohol clean

As far as accuracy goes with less than pristine barrels goes.....I have a couple of milsurps that have sewer pipe barrels.....pitted pretty bad......and are as accurate as some of my milsurps with shiney bores.

I like the MPRO copper remover, treat/soak/brush/patch until dry, do this until no more green comes out. If your rifling is still sharp esp near the throat you have nothing to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom