Will the GOP Leadership Be the Ones to Deliver Gun Control

It wouldn’t surprise me as they think ‘where are you gonna go?’ They don’t realize the answer is no where - not to the polls either.

They are trying to get good press and are so disconnected they think it will help them.

Congressman Thomas Massie, (R) Kentucky
December 2 at 1:13pm

ALERT: Feinstein/Schumer sponsored gun legislation that amends the “Brady bill” will be added to Concealed Carry Reciprocity bill (HR 38) in the House this week.

As Chairman of the Second Amendment Caucus, I’m blowing the whistle on the swamp. Last week, Republicans in the House fast tracked through committee HR 4477, a gun bill titled “fix-NICS.” The Senate version of this bill is cosponsored by Senator Dianne Feintstein and Senator Chuck Schumer and it will send $625 million over 5 years to states to expand the national background check database. The bill will also advance former President Obama’s agenda of pressuring every branch of the administration (such as the Veteran’s Administration) to submit thousands of more names to the NICS background check database to deny gun purchases. The House bill is identical in every way to the Senate bill except the House bill will also commission a study on bump-stocks.

What you don’t know, and what virtually no one in Washington wants you to know, is that House leadership plans to merge the fix-NICS bill with popular Concealed Carry Reciprocity legislation, HR 38, and pass both of them with a single vote. Folks, this is how the swamp works. House leadership expects constituents to call their representatives demanding a vote on the reciprocity bill, when in fact the only vote will be on the two combined bills.

How fast did Fix-NICS, HR 4477, move through the Judiciary Committee? This bill broke the previous records for fast track legislation. It was voted out of committee within hours of being introduced in the House. Check the dates on this link: https://www.congress.gov/…/115th-congr…/house-bill/4477/text . That means the text of the bill wasn’t even discoverable by the public on congress.govuntil after the bill passed out of committee! The text was however available over in the Senate where you will find Senator Diane Feinstein and Senator Chuck Schumer are cosponsors. https://www.congress.gov/…/115t…/senate-bill/2135/cosponsors

If that’s not odd enough, consider this: the fix-NICS bill was introduced in the House by a Democrat two weeks ago. https://www.congress.gov/…/115th-congr…/house-bill/4434/text . But, in a very unusual move, the bill was re-introduced verbatim by a Republican two weeks later, with language added to it to commission a bump-stock study. Six Republicans in Judiciary Committee weren’t persuaded by the switcheroo, and voted No. However, because every Democrat voted yes and some Republicans voted yes at the urging of the Chairman, the bill made it out of committee. The deed will be complete this week when the bill is quietly added to the Reciprocity bill, HR 38, and passed without the knowledge of those who would oppose the legislation if they knew what was in it.

To recap, what are some clues that you should be concerned with the fix-NICS bill?

(1) The first sentence after the title of the bill reads “Section 103 of the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act (34 U.S.C. 40901) is amended…”
(2) Senators Dianne Feinstein and Chuck Schumer are cosponsors in the Senate.
(3) It’s being rammed through, without a hearing, in a very nontransparent process, and it will be passed by attaching it to the popular concealed carry reciprocity bill which already has enough votes to pass on its own.
(4) It spends over half a billion dollars to collect more names to include in a list of people who will never be allowed to own a firearm.
(5) It compels administrative agencies, not just courts, to adjudicate your second amendment rights.

In my opinion, #5 is the biggest problem. The bill encourages administrative agencies, not the courts, to submit more names to a national database that will determine whether you can or can’t obtain a firearm. When President Obama couldn’t get Congress to pass gun control, he implemented a strategy of compelling, through administrative rules, the Veterans Administration and the Social Security Administration to submit lists of veterans and seniors, many of whom never had a day in court, to be included in the NICS database of people prohibited from owning a firearm. Only a state court, a federal (article III) court, or a military court, should ever be able to suspend your rights for any significant period of time.

Does the NICS background check system have problems? Yes, it results in tens of thousands of unjustified denials of gun purchases every year. But like many bills in Congress, the fix-NICS doesn’t live up to its name – it will likely do the opposite. It throws millions of dollars at a faulty program and it will result in more law-abiding citizens being deprived of their right to keep and bear arms.

If we continue to give the executive branch more money and encouragement to add names to the list of people prohibited from buying a firearm (without a day in court) and if the gun banners achieve their goal of universal background checks, one day, a single person elected to the office of President will be able to achieve universal gun prohibition.

House leadership should immediately de-couple the fix-NICS legislation from the concealed carry reciprocity legislation. People hate it when Washington combines bills like our leadership plans to do this week.

A few have speculated that the House is combining the bills to ensure reciprocity will pass in the Senate. I have some news for them: Senators Feinstein and Schumer aren’t going to vote for reciprocity even if it contains the fix-NICS legislation they support for expanding the background check database. If someone is naïve enough to think that’s going to work, and they’re willing to accept fix-NICS to get reciprocity, then they should ask the Senate to go first with the combined bill.

Here’s a dangerous scenario that’s more likely to play out: The House uses the popularity of reciprocity (HR 38) to sneak fix-NICS through, while the Senate passes fix-NICS only. The Senate and the House meet at conference with their respective bills, with the result being fix-NICS emerges from conference without reciprocity. Fix-NICS comes back to the House and passes because all of the Democrats will vote for it (as they just did in Judiciary Committee) and many Republicans will vote for it. Because Republicans already voted for it once as part of the reciprocity deal that never came to pass, they won’t have a solid footing for opposing fix-NICS as a standalone bill. Then we’ll end up with fix-NICS, which is basically an expansion of the Brady Bill, without reciprocity.

If our House leadership insists on bringing the flawed fix-NICS bill to the floor, they shouldn’t play games. We should vote separately on HR 38, the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Bill, and HR 4477, the fix-NICS bill. And we should be given enough time to amend the fix-NICS bill, because it needs to be fixed, if not axed.

Well I don't know enough about these bills to make any sense of it but I'm sure the GOP at some point is going to spout some BS on gun control on the lines of.
We need to pass the bill to see what's in it or your going have to give them up to have any chance of keeping them.

Here’s one guy who I trust more than any of these idiots:

Rep. Steve Russell of Oklahoma. The guy is an 07 FFL and owner of Two Rivers Arms.

U.S. Rep. Steve D. Russell brings a unique perspective on firearms to the House of Representatives. He’s a career soldier, collector of military firearms and is the only one on Capitol Hill who is an active firearms manufacturer.

Rep. Russell’s admiration for firearms is deeply-rooted in his calling to serve in the U.S. Army as an infantry soldier. He served tours in Kosovo, Kuwait, Afghanistan and Iraq, where he commanded a task force that captured former Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein. He chronicled the mission in his memoir, “We Got Him.” Following his military career, he formed successive veteran’s advocacy groups and ran for and won an open seat in Oklahoma’s state Senate in 2008. It was there, Russell, turned a career of carrying a rifle, into a new calling of ensuring the right to bear arms was respected.

Victories at the state level included hunting with suppressors, open carry legislation, and clearing up language on “shall issue” questions with respect to mental health. But it wasn’t until 2010 when Russell went from firearms enthusiast to manufacturer. He couldn’t bring home rifles he saw during his combat tours in Iraq. So he made one.

“With that in mind, I found an existing rifle and altered its appearance, made it look like an Iraqi rifle,” Rep. Russell explained. “Some of my veteran buddies asked, ‘Where’d you get that?’ I said, “Aw, I just made these changes to this rifle. So they said, ‘If I got one, would you do that to mine?’ I said sure. After a half a dozen of those, I thought there might be something to this.”

That was the birth of Two Rivers Arms, a company that’s still producing firearms and even caught the eye of legendary actor and director Clint Eastwood as he was filming “American Sniper,” the biopic on former Navy SEAL Chris Kyle.

It wouldn’t surprise me as they think ‘where are you gonna go?’ They don’t realize the answer is no where - not to the polls either.

They are trying to get good press and are so disconnected they think it will help them.
The downside is that the Democrats end up winning if we sit out, but it's not like we're better off with the current crop of Republicans running the show. We are worse off with Democrats though because the media does not hold them to the fire. We have two Dems in Congress who are all but guilty of sexual misconduct and the media is silent saying to work it through the Ethics committee, but when it comes to some tweets Donald Trump makes, the media may as well be calling for a lynch mob.

That's the difference between the two sides. The only solace I have is that apparently the paragons of virtue in the media are no less immune from allegations of sexual misconduct than politicians are.

I just hope that people can understand that when they watch the news media they are looking at deviants in the men and whores in the women and should just turn away.

Someone needs to remind these a**h***s that there are elections coming up, and they're not going to like what happens if they force this shit through.

Have they forgotten that their constituency is free america, not Kommiefornia or the Kommenwealth of Massatwoshits?

Someone needs to remind these a**h***s that there are elections coming up, and they're not going to like what happens if they force this shit through.

Have they forgotten that their constituency is free america, not Kommiefornia or the Kommenwealth of Massatwoshits?
I really think they spend so much time in the big cities that they forget

The downside is that the Democrats end up winning if we sit out, but it's not like we're better off with the current crop of Republicans running the show. We are worse off with Democrats though because the media does not hold them to the fire. We have two Dems in Congress who are all but guilty of sexual misconduct and the media is silent saying to work it through the Ethics committee, but when it comes to some tweets Donald Trump makes, the media may as well be calling for a lynch mob.

That's the difference between the two sides. The only solace I have is that apparently the paragons of virtue in the media are no less immune from allegations of sexual misconduct than politicians are.

I just hope that people can understand that when they watch the news media they are looking at deviants in the men and whores in the women and should just turn away.
This won't surprise anyone, but several years ago they tested the testosterone of a few men who work for NPR. They were all extremely low. https://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/220/transcript

I guess most 'republicans' forget it was Reagan who brought us the real assault weapons ban. I've never looked at the vote count to see if they could have overridden a veto, if they could have I'd call it a wash, but still.

I guess most 'republicans' forget it was Reagan who brought us the real assault weapons ban. I've never looked at the vote count to see if they could have overridden a veto, if they could have I'd call it a wash, but still.
The Hughes amendment was passed under such shady circumstances that it may not have legally passed at all.

Most likely scenario is Bill passes as is, nics fix and reciprocity. Republicans and big money 2A groups will call it a necessary compromise. Somewhere down the line, some Dem controlled bot from CA shoots someone in OR or wherever, and now they need to fix the "reciprocity loophole." Reciprocity goes away and nics fix is still on the books. That's how it's done. Both parties are the party of government. They're ok with taking a half step back for now because they know eventually they'll have their one step forward.

The Hughes amendment was passed under such shady circumstances that it may not have legally passed at all.

Every single time anti's use the 'automatic weapons are bad' logic, I ask them how often full autos are used in a crime. Generally, they can't name a single instance. The only recent incident that I know were full autos was the North Hollywood bank robbery, where the guns were already controlled, so the law didn't prevent anything. Now I 'may' add the Las Vegas shooting, but the jury is still out on that one. I also mention no one died in the N. Hollywood shooting except the bad guys, because full auto generally sucks in the real world.

Received this in an email today:
emailhdr copy.png

Will the GOP Become the "Gun Opposition Party"?

Please click on the Take Action button and urge your Senators to oppose the Cornyn-Schumer bill (S. 2135). Tell them that the "Traffic Ticket Gun Ban" is the worst gun control in over a decade for a bill which actually has a good chance of passing.

Not a GOA member yet? You can join Gun Owners of America today for only $20 -- and this will double your contribution because of our matching fund!

Urge Your Senator to Kill the Traffic Ticket Gun Ban

Dear James,

The Senate held its first hearings Wednesday on the most serious gun control threat in over a decade.
schumer.PNG

The bill is the Cornyn-Schumer-Feinstein-Blumenthal-Murphy legislation, S. 2135. And it would bribe the states and force federal agencies to send every possible eligible name to the national gun ban list, NICS.

This means that a whole lot of decent Americans are going to be added into the system.

Some people claim that S. 2135 -- and its counterpart in the House -- are really not that bad. After all, they say, the bills don't contain the words "traffic tickets," "veterans," "senior citizens," and so forth.

But that's the problem. Legislators like Chuck Schumer are not going to tell you this up front.

There's more to it than just reading the bills

Remember the 2007 NICS Improvement Amendments Act that harmed so many veterans? That legislation NEVER contained the word "veteran."

But GOA knew what legislators were up to ... we knew how veterans were going to be impacted ... and so we renamed the legislation, more accurately, as the Veterans Disarmament Act.

Sadly, more than 257,000 veterans have now been disarmed, proving that GOA's analysis of that disgraceful law was accurate.

The key is this: You always have to read the legal code and the implementing regulations that are being amended by any particular piece of legislation.

Many gun owners don't realize that NICS is already denying gun purchases to people who have unpaid traffic tickets -- even though you won't find the words "traffic" or "tickets" in the federal firearms code.

To read more about this, you'll definitely want to see what a Massachusetts cop told GOA about how an unpaid traffic ticket can lead to a gun ban.

And you can click here to see Shannon Bream of Fox News quoting GOA to help viewers sift "fact from fiction"over the weekend in regard to the Traffic Ticket Gun Ban.

Again, the reason Cornyn-Schumer is so horrible is that it bribes states and forces agencies to achieve 100% compliance with current statutes and regulations -- and this is going to result in gun bans for lots of decent Americans whose names are not already in the NICS system.

More horror stories to come under Cornyn-Schumer

If you have a terrible -- but unenforced -- statute and you come along with legislation to mandate enforcement, is that a bad thing?

Obviously, it is.

And the unenforced statutes and regulations surrounding the 1968 Act (18 U.S.C. 922(g)), the 2007 Veterans Disarmament Act, and the regulations implementing them are so sucky that they, if fully enforced, would disarm millions -- perhaps tens of millions -- of decent Americans.

The Code of Federal Regulations disarms you if a "lawful authority" determines you are a "danger" or are unable to manage your checkbook (see 27 CFR 478.11). "Lawful authority" means a psychiatrist who determines whether a person is eligible for federal benefits. Under these provisions, over 257,000 veterans have lost their guns.

And, in 2016, Barack Obama promulgated regulations which would trawl the SSI disability rolls to do the same for perhaps millions of people on disability. Congress was shocked, the regulations were overturned at the start of the Trump administration.

But guess what?

The next anti-gun president could do the same with Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, the children's health insurance program, ObamaCare recipients, etc.

He could do this for people with guardians, or people suffering from ADHD, PTSD, post partem depression, regular depression, OCD, or even Alzheimer's, which currently affects upwards of 40 million people according to a study financed by the National Institutes of Health. And Congress would not be able to generate the 2/3 vote in both chambers to overturn a veto of any legislation seeking to overturn his actions.

Or take people on medical marijuana lists. Or in diversion or treatment programs. They will be put on the gun ban list under 18 U.S.C. 922(g)(3). That's a 100% certainty.

Or take states like New York, which sent 30,000 names to NICS, pursuant to the SAFE Act, because their private psychiatrist turned them in.

Or take California, which allows an ex parte gun ban without any hearing because a friend or relative complains about you.

Or take states like Massachusetts, which banned guns for 430,000 people on the basis of unanswered "bench warrants." We know that large numbers of vacationers with unpaid speeding tickets are losing their guns because of this.

But the worst thing of all is that Cornyn-Schumer will revitalize the Brady Center, the Giffords' organization, the Bloomberg operation, and dozens of other gun control zealots after years of decline and demoralizing defeats.

It is significant that Chuck Schumer is doing a "happy dance" over the victory Cornyn-Schumer would give to gun control, but is dead-set against a single word that would help gun owners.

So it is going to take every ounce of fight you have in you to stop the passage of this fast-moving, preordained gun control victory.

And it will only happen if we work together on a continuing basis over the next few months.

So please contact your Senators, Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D) and Sen. Edward Markey (D).

Tell them that the Cornyn-Schumer bill (S. 2135) -- aka, the Traffic Ticket Gun Ban -- is the worst gun control in over a decade for a bill that has a serious chance of passing.

Demand that they oppose it.

Sincerely,

Michael Hammond
Legislative Counsel

P.S. Please urge your Senators to oppose the Cornyn-Schumer bill (S. 2135). Tell them that the "Traffic Ticket Gun Ban" is the worst gun control in over a decade for a bill that has a serious chance of passing.

Every single time anti's use the 'automatic weapons are bad' logic, I ask them how often full autos are used in a crime. Generally, they can't name a single instance. The only recent incident that I know were full autos was the North Hollywood bank robbery, where the guns were already controlled, so the law didn't prevent anything.
It's worth nothing those Norinco Type 56 carbines were semi-autos modified for fully-automatic fire. The Bushmaster XM15 Dissipator allegedly was also modified to enable full-auto fire. No machine gun receivers were acquired for use in that shootout.

Just throwing out an idea here, maybe the Republicans want it to fail so they can say they tried?

Just throwing out an idea here, maybe the Republicans want it to fail so they can say they tried?

I said that some time ago. This is a grandstand vote so they can go home to the 2a mouth breathers and say they tried.

It's worth nothing those Norinco Type 56 carbines were semi-autos modified for fully-automatic fire. The Bushmaster XM15 Dissipator allegedly was also modified to enable full-auto fire. No machine gun receivers were acquired for use in that shootout.

While you may be the best kind of correct, my comment still stands. No one died in the Hollywood bank robbery but the robbers.

And I mentioned they were already controlled, making their use in a bank robbery illegal. Someone should make a law.

So please contact your Senators, Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D) and Sen. Edward Markey (D).
P.S. Please urge your Senators to oppose the Cornyn-Schumer bill (S. 2135). Tell them that the "Traffic Ticket Gun Ban" is the worst gun control in over a decade for a bill that has a serious chance of passing.

You know it's a absolutely absurd situation when you might actually have a hope of those two idiots voting against a gun ban bill. Then again, if they manage to separate the NICS bill from CC reciprocity there's no chance in hell.

You know it's a absolutely absurd situation when you might actually have a hope of those two idiots voting against a gun ban bill. Then again, if they manage to separate the NICS bill from CC reciprocity there's no chance in hell.
True but just think if hundreds of thousands or more were to do it they might actually take notice. Unfortunately not enough gun owners get involved at all.

Back
Top Bottom