Will Chris Christie Pardon Brian Aitkens?

[to mods: i know this case has been discussed in previous threads, I thought this is worthy of a new thread. Please move to old thread if I am Wrong ]

Previous Thread: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...st-we-re-not-New-Jersey?p=1660430#post1660430

In a press conference NJ Govenor Chris Christie is asked about the Aitkens case and possible Pardon.

As Much as I like Christie his 2nd Ammendment record is not stellar to say the least. However the Govenor has already denied the reappointment of the Judge who sentenced Brian, which I feel is a good sign of what Christie will do in this situation.

The possibility of a Pardon was discussed with Brians parents on Freedom Watch with Judge Napolitano.

Relevant Subject Matter Begins at 4:40

From the BlogoSphere:

http://blog.nj.com/njv_paul_mulshine/2010/12/more_on_the_brian_aitken_front.html

Seems we will just have to wait and see, but hopefully Brian will be able to spend Christmas with his children.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, I didn't realize his mom had called the cops on him to begin with... what a terribly stupid move. I bet (just speculating) that he said something like, "I'll kill her if she doesn't let me see him," in reference to his ex-wife and son. Well, if so, I think we've all made comments about killing something or doing something in a moment of frustration that we didn't really mean. That's the only way I could imagine the mom calling the police, but she acted foolishly in any case.

Despite the tension and family disputes, Mr. Aitken is clearly innocent and should certainly be freed immediately. I'm ashamed this is happening in my country. Where the hell is the NRA?!

Signed. This is such a ridiculous case. Show me all the gang bangers doing 7 years for carrying loaded, illegally purchased hand guns in the waistband of their sweatpants.

Commuting the sentence isn't the same as a pardon. He's still a felon, albeit one now out of prison. Unless the NJ rules are different?

This could only happen when filthy Marxist organizations back filthy Marxist politicians that appoint filthy Marxist judges.
At least NJ had the brains to elect a Republican Governor after the public unions there collapsed there own states economy....CA is next.

It makes me sick-to-my-stomach to see our great Capitalist Republic being decimated by these Marxist/Progressives and there kangaroo courts!
You would think we were a 'banana republic'....

Christie is not an idiot, he hates guns and he knows that he will win support by commuting his sentence but he also knows he has kept one more law abiding citizen unarmed. basically this guys life is ruined because he followed the law

He can appeal the conviction and at least he's out while he does so. I'm guessing that this is the way it will go.
The fact that the jury asked to see the text of the law and the judge refused is enough to guarantee a mistrial.

He can appeal the conviction and at least he's out while he does so. I'm guessing that this is the way it will go.
The fact that the jury asked to see the text of the law and the judge refused is enough to guarantee a mistrial.

Are you sure he can appeal?

You can always appeal. As long as you can show some error that someone in the trial made that might have affected the outcome.
There were a number of actions taken by the judge that could be used as grounds for an appeal.

You can always appeal. As long as you can show some error that someone in the trial made that might have affected the outcome.
There were a number of actions taken by the judge that could be used as grounds for an appeal.

No, you can't appeal if you give up your right to appeal in order to get the commutation. Unless you know for sure he has retained his right to appeal through the commutation, please don't declare what he can and can't do.

Are the docs he submitted to Christie public yet?

No but the actual commutation is.

Office of the Governor
Office of Constituent Relations
Post Office Box 001
Trenton, New Jersey 08625-0001

GOVERNOR CHRIS CHRISTIE ELECTRONIC RESPONSE

Please see below the signed commutation order for Brian Aitken, signed by Governor Christie at 4:30 pm today.

ORDER FOR COMMUTATION OF SENTENCE

WHEREAS, Brian D. Aitken was convicted of Possession of Dum-Dum
Bullets in the Fourth Degree in violation of N.J.S.A 2C:39-3(f)(l), Possession of
Large Capacity Ammunition Magazine in the Fourth Degree in violation of
N.J.S.A 2C:39-3(j), and Unlawful Possession of a Handgun in the Second
Degree in violation of N.J.S.A 2C:39-5(b) in the Superior Court, Law Division
(Criminal), Burlington County, New Jersey, and was sentenced on August 27,
2010 under Indictment No. 09-03-00217-1 to a seven-year term of imprisonment
with a three-year mandatory minimum; and

WHEREAS, the said Brian D. Aitken, caused to be made a written
application to the Governor for a Commutation of Sentence for the aforesaid
crimes of which he was convicted, and the State Parole Board, upon request of
the Governor in accordance with the law, has made an investigation of the facts
and circumstances concerning said application for a Commutation of Sentence;

NOW, THEREFORE, I, CHRIS CHRISTIE, Governor of the State of New
Jersey by virtue of the authority conferred upon me by the Constitution of New
Jersey and the statutes of this State, do hereby grant to the said Brian D. Aitken,
a commutation of the aforesaid sentence to time sewed, and satisfied on
December 20,2010.

IT IS FURTHER ORDERED, that Brian D. Aitken's release from the
custody of the New Jersey Department of Corrections be effected as soon as
administratively possible, or within a reasonable period to allow for release
processing pursuant to customary policy and procedure. ,

This Order is subject to revocation at any time, at the discretion of the
Governor, without notice.

Note the last sentence. That is not common at all. It tells me his appeal rights may still be in place and his sentence can be reimposed in the future.

Its funny. I had written to Gov Christie last week. At about 8:00 PM tonight, the commutation order arrived in my In box from "The Office of The Governor"

I noticed the last sentence and actually thought about it a bit. My thought was that its in place so that the Governor can re-impose the sentence if mr Aitken gets in any trouble any time soon.

But I guess it could also be seen as a thinly veiled threat to not appeal. But I'm getting a little cynical thinking that. Right?

Since we have three threads on this subject, I will cross post in each.
http://www.theagitator.com/2010/12/29/why-brian-aitken-wasnt-pardoned
He wasn't pardoned because he didn't ASK to be pardoned which was very smart on the part of his lawyer.

Smart in the sense that it got him released from prison, although it essentially eliminated any public pressure to get his conviction overturned. As a result, he'll almost certainly live out his life as a convicted felon, unable to so much as touch a round of .22lr, unable to vote in most states, and unable to do a few dozen other things the rest of us might take for granted. I'm glad he's free, but ...

Ken

Back
Top Bottom