• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Will a Gun Safe Door Stop a Pistol?

.115" cold rolled steel. (12ga)
38special, 9mm, 40S&W did not penetrate. 44magnum blew right through, .223 blew right through.

Thanks VERY much for that. That was exactly what I was hoping would turn up when I started this thread. I'd also be interested in knowing the distance and loads, but this is encouraging regardless. I positioned the safe in such a way that the only place an aggressor could be attacking that location from, the bullets would be striking the steel at a 45 degree angle. Given this picture I think it would stop a pistol round at that angle, or at least slow it to the point of not likely being lethal.

On another unrelated note. For anyone moving a safe 600lbs or under. Get Forearm Forklift straps. I moved my 400lb safe through the house and up a flight of stairs with just me and a friend. I weigh 155lbs... No rollers dollies, etc.

safes are a sandwich of REALLY thin steel and foam

a harddrive won't stop a 9mm, i seriously doubt most safes would.....

That's true of composite doors or bodies, which are thicker, but weaker than plate steel doors and bodies. My safe is not sandwiched materials. It's 12ga steel on 6 sides with fireproofing materials inside that, just for heat insulation. I did my research before buying and I made sure to get a safe with plate steel, not "composites."

I would think an additional layer on the inside, like 1/2" plywood, might make a big difference. The bullet will tend to break up going thru the steel door, and the plywood would probably stop the slowed and deformed bullet

about 25yd. leaning against cinder blocks.
the 38's were reloads.
The 9mm 115gr WWB. .223 were 64gr. winchester power points.
40's were Remington, not sure what grain.

Hmm. 25 yards is a little far. A 9mm loses about 10% of its energy in that distance, and WWB isn't exactly hot to start with. Was it flat against the blocks or just leaning against them. If the former, I'm sure they helped prevent penetration. If the latter, that seems like a decent safe analog.

Hmm. 25 yards is a little far. A 9mm loses about 10% of its energy in that distance, and WWB isn't exactly hot to start with. Was it flat against the blocks or just leaning against them. If the former, I'm sure they helped prevent penetration. If the latter, that seems like a decent safe analog.
You are overthinking one particular scenario. You have all the info you really need here. 12ga is better than nothing, but rifle is rifle and pistol is pistol...

Does you no good to have cover from one narrow direction when a determined bad-guy(s) that are going to even stick around after shots are fired could just go or send a friend around the side or back of you and blast through drywall...

The only portions of an average home that will adequately stop most gunfire are those housed below ground or behind concrete construction. Take that info and carry on.

safes are a sandwich of REALLY thin steel and foam

a harddrive won't stop a 9mm, i seriously doubt most safes would.....

A hard drive will absolutely stop a 9mm. I know that for a fact.

- - - Updated - - -

The only portions of an average home that will adequately stop most gunfire are those housed below ground or behind concrete construction. Take that info and carry on.

and a cast iron tub. Mine is 3/8" thick and weighs 600 lbs.

A hard drive will absolutely stop a 9mm. I know that for a fact.

- - - Updated - - -

and a cast iron tub. Mine is 3/8" thick and weighs 600 lbs.

I think u will find the cast iron tub with crack into pieces at the first shot.

Back
Top Bottom